Pocket watch gifts

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Bob Reichel, Jun 14, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bob Reichel

Bob Reichel Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow

Feb 13, 2001
    I was given two pocket watches from a dear friend in Croatia. They came out of the family and nothing is known about them. One is marked only: PATENT, and is a cylinder esc. The other has engraved on the inner cover:
    Bautte
    A GENEVE
    ECHAPPEMENT A CYLINDRE
    (figure "8" hallmark)
    Rubi (possible 'v')
    No. 80857
    I would like to know their age and any other significant info.
    Davor1,2 & 3 are one watch, Davor4,5 & 6 are the other (with description above)

Attached Files:

2. jfl

jfl Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 1, 2006
    I believe the patent watch dates from 1865 to 1880 because of the pressed engraving in the regulator area. This is the more modestly priced watch. Both are of course the Swiss bar style movements.
    The Bautte dates from 1845-1855 with the later date being closer. I believe that it is an 8 jewel (ruby) cyclinder escapement watch. It has a higher serial number than mine which is from ~ 1850. This company was bought out several times and ended up being part of Girard Perregaux. Perhaps one of the experts could help you more. :thumb: