Pocket watch crystal

Copperdragon3

Aug 20, 2020
Country
I recently purchased a beautiful George Wheeler grade Elgin hunter case pocket watch off Etsy. It's an 1890, 17 jewel size 18 watch, but when it arrived I realized the crystal had bee replaced with a flimsy plastic one! It is so thin it popped out and won't stay in. I really like the watch but was hoping I could put in a glass crystal. How difficult is it to install a real crystal on an old pocket watch, how much would it cost and where do I find one that's the correct size? Any suggestions would be appreciated. PXL_20210120_235632502~2.jpg

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
You need a crystal for a hunter case. These crystals are very thin and comes in various heights. Too flat and it will not clear the hands and too doomed it will crack when you close the lid.

Considering how thin and fragile the crystal is and the need for the correct height in addition to the need for the correct diameter makes this a somewhat difficult task. You would probably need to buy several crystals to find one that fits.

If you look at the top of this forum you will find a thread "Watch parts and service sources" where you will find the address to Dave's who supplies watch crystals.

Check out his homepage and you will find prices etc.....

Reactions: MrRoundel

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
Fitting a glass hunter crystal is a task that ranges from hard to very hard. I strongly recommend sending the watch to an expert, either Dave if you want a vintage crystal installed, or Bill White if you want a modern one. If it were my watch I'd send it to Mr. White; his crystals are beautiful and nicer than most vintage crystals.

I'm a happy customer of both these guys and they are reliable professionals.

DoughBoyWatches

Jan 5, 2021
Country
I recently purchased a beautiful George Wheeler grade Elgin hunter case pocket watch off Etsy. It's an 1890, 17 jewel size 18 watch, but when it arrived I realized the crystal had bee replaced with a flimsy plastic one! It is so thin it popped out and won't stay in. I really like the watch but was hoping I could put in a glass crystal. How difficult is it to install a real crystal on an old pocket watch, how much would it cost and where do I find one that's the correct size? Any suggestions would be appreciated. View attachment 633513
you need a hunter case crystal which has a very low height usually between 6-8.....measure the diameter in mm then convert to ligne size. you want to go about .1-.2mm bigger the bezel is heated on a hot plate to allow the metal to expand, crystal is fit, then bezel is slowly cooled allowing the metal to contract and seal the crystal in place. quite difficult unless you just go a bit smaller and UV glue it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam P
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre