• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Pocket watch cleaning pens

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
The pens are retractable, two are wire one is glass fibre, which cleans very well, no scratching, the wire are pretty good to, now best way to trim the glass fibre strands, I can use side cutters for the wire, I did try my Stanley knife, but strands very strong.richard

Last edited:

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
Sounds interesting. I'm a clock guy, but I'd love to see some pictures of these.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
I think this is what is being referred to. The fiberglass insert is only 1.75mm thick, offering better accuracy than the old fiberglass brushes.

FiberglassBrush.jpg

L. Vanice

Old Timer
NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2015
Fort Wayne
Country
Region
Thanks Dave. What is this used for?
Back in the 1950's, I bought a red plastic holder with a glass fiber brush that was screw-fed. I think they were meant to be erasers for ink and typewriters. But I saw them in the Swartchild catalog listed as rust removers.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Dang! I never saw Jim's follow-up question. Yes, I use it to remove surface rust off of small parts. For example, a balance staff that has perfectly good pivots but might have some light rust on the body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lpgp
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent