Pocket watch chronograph

Snide

Mar 6, 2001
I’m a collector of American Pocket Watches but recently came across this movement and don’t know anything about it. It is marked M Leonville, No. 35386. Sweep second hand is missing and its post is bent. I don’t recognize the ebauche marking. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

571359AC-43FC-4BCF-9AFC-F486C425488D.jpeg 42328C03-77C9-4563-AB0A-BA8315C47320.jpeg E91D6756-F9FE-426C-AC51-06D2FE09B720.jpeg

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Country
Region
Your E. Leonville is a type CR4 in my classification of C.H. Meylan watches. See below for the link to my Meylan database, which contains everything I know about C.H. Meylans. With respect to your watch, the gist of what my database will tell you is that it is unclear whether C.H. Meylan or J.J. Badollet made your movement, although it is likely that one of them was the maker. Meylan was associated with Badollet. A right-facing lion rampant was Badollet's trademark. C.H. Meylan never had a trademark unless Kathleen Pritchard was correct in saying that it was a left-facing lion rampant, which I doubt. In any event C.H. Meylan's firm signed a significant number of 3/4 plate movements with a left-facing lion rampant. He was a partner in Mathey & Co., a New York importer that represented, among other companies, both Meylan and Badollet, as well as A. Leonville, C. Leonville, G. Leonville, and presumably E. Leonville. To make things even more complicated, some attribute the underlying 3/4 plate ebauche to Longines. I have added your movement to my database as a probable C.H. Meylan.

Snide

Mar 6, 2001
Your E. Leonville is a type CR4 in my classification of C.H. Meylan watches. See below for the link to my Meylan database, which contains everything I know about C.H. Meylans. With respect to your watch, the gist of what my database will tell you is that it is unclear whether C.H. Meylan or J.J. Badollet made your movement, although it is likely that one of them was the maker. Meylan was associated with Badollet. A right-facing lion rampant was Badollet's trademark. C.H. Meylan never had a trademark unless Kathleen Pritchard was correct in saying that it was a left-facing lion rampant, which I doubt. In any event C.H. Meylan's firm signed a significant number of 3/4 plate movements with a left-facing lion rampant. He was a partner in Mathey & Co., a New York importer that represented, among other companies, both Meylan and Badollet, as well as A. Leonville, C. Leonville, G. Leonville, and presumably E. Leonville. To make things even more complicated, some attribute the underlying 3/4 plate ebauche to Longines. I have added your movement to my database as a probable C.H. Meylan.
thank you Ethan. I appreciate your time.

Reactions: Dr. Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danarog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner