Please Show the Most Recent Addition to Your Collection

Rodney Leon

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2020
Country
I'm told this style case was designed for the series 11.( I need to verify that statement) It meets my ultimate criteria: I like it!
Nice Howard Old Rookie I have a couple of these they are nice, The case was the bar over crown Howard model. Yes I have heard the same thing about the case, and have seen a few ads with it in that case. Here is one it might not have the best resolution sorry. The other that also is used is in the "Otto young catalog 1926" I have seen it posted elsewhere on the site don't have a copy handy right now.

Howard.jpg

Reactions: Mike M.

SpringDriven

Dec 22, 2010
Sneak peak at my latest watch. I have a series 0 with ruby banking pins but not the jeweled barrel version so this was an easy choice. I feel certain that this was an employee side project due to all the effort involved. Consider that the Edward Howard used a similar gilded surface finish when you look at this watch and the inspiration is obvious.

20210428_120313.jpg

SpringDriven

Dec 22, 2010
Sneak peak at my latest watch. I have a series 0 with ruby banking pins but not the jeweled barrel version so this was an easy choice. I feel certain that this was an employee side project due to all the effort involved. Consider that the Edward Howard used a similar gilded surface finish when you look at this watch and the inspiration is obvious.

View attachment 651633

I just finished tearing it down for cleaning and inspection etc. Not a single serial number matches anything, all random. This is why I suspect this watch was put together by a Howard employee. If an individual watchmaker outside of Howard did this, he would have used at least eight different movements to make it.

Rodney Leon

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2020
Country
If an individual watchmaker outside of Howard did this, he would have used at least eight different movements to make it.
Neat. Never saw one like that, and you might be right about an employee doing this unless the person was someone like my late dad. He saved everything... drawers full of stuff, so he could have put together many parts watches if he wanted. Nice find. What kind of dial was on it?

vintageguy

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 27, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
I'm told this style case was designed for the series 11.( I need to verify that statement) It meets my ultimate criteria: I like it!:)
Check out the Keystone Howard Encyclopedia article under the Series 11 discussion. The vast majority of observed Series 11s in the "Safety Bow" case have movement serial number 1,363,000 and higher.

https://mb.nawcc.org/wiki/E-Howard-Watch-Co

vintageguy

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 27, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
Reactions: Old rookie

Old rookie

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2021
Country
Thanks Vintageguy:) It looks like we have the same style hands on both of our watches. Springdriven had commented on the correctness of those hands on a Keystone Howard series 11. Don't know if this helps answer the question. Either we both have correct hands or we both have replaced hands.:screwball:

SpringDriven

Dec 22, 2010
Thanks Vintageguy:) It looks like we have the same style hands on both of our watches. Springdriven had commented on the correctness of those hands on a Keystone Howard series 11. Don't know if this helps answer the question. Either we both have correct hands or we both have replaced hands.:screwball:
Sorry Rookie. It was your Series 0 I asked about, not your Series 11.

Old rookie

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2021
Country
Sorry Rookie. It was your Series 0 I asked about, not your Series 11.
Well duh. :screwball: My bad, sorry. Since I'm a VK learner could you post a photo of what you believe the correct hands should be for a series 0. Thanks.

Last edited:

vintageguy

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 27, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
Either we both have correct hands or we both have replaced hands.:screwball:
I do believe the hour and minute hands are right for a Series 11 (though for some reason my hour hand ring as a chunk taken out of it). I do believe that the seconds hand may have been replaced, and the original may have been of the design shown on the Series 11 below.

d3b83c37f08a1aedc903fb93cd01b9f9x.jpg

Reactions: pmurphy

SpringDriven

Dec 22, 2010
Well duh. :screwball: My bad, sorry. Since I'm a VK learner could you post a photo of what you believe the correct hands should be for a series 0. Thanks.
Hello Old Rookie,

Series 0 had a few variations, so I can not comment on what is appropriate for your watch.

However, my original question when I asked is the same as now.

"Wow, are those hands correct?!? I have never seen E. Howard umbrella hands on a Keystone Howard!"

So I am not saying your hands are INCORRECT, I am asking if they are correct. Innocent before proven guilty.

I have never seen those style hands on a Keystone Howard, they were exciting for me to see, and I was wondering if that was a style of hands used by Keystone? Others may know (or not) if Keystone ever used the E. Howard umbrella style hands.

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
I have a question (or questions) about Howard Series 0 watches. Some are lever set and some pendant set. I have one that is pendant set, but pocketwatchdatabase.com lists it as lever set. Did the database just get it wrong, or was there some modification that the buyer could ask for that would happen post-production? And since it would seem that the watch was marketed as the highest-grade railroad watch Howard Keystone produced, why was it designed to be either pendant set or lever set? Is one configuration less sought after and so less valuable?

SpringDriven

Dec 22, 2010
I have a question (or questions) about Howard Series 0 watches. Some are lever set and some pendant set. I have one that is pendant set, but pocketwatchdatabase.com lists it as lever set. Did the database just get it wrong, or was there some modification that the buyer could ask for that would happen post-production? And since it would seem that the watch was marketed as the highest-grade railroad watch Howard Keystone produced, why was it designed to be either pendant set or lever set? Is one configuration less sought after and so less valuable?
I don't believe there are Keystone Factory records with enough details to say what watch was lever or pendant, available to reference.

The watch would have to be disassembled to be changed from Lever to Pendant, so that is not an easy task. Pendant set mechanism is under the barrel bridge, while lever set mechanism is under the dial.

I think? Howard advertised delivered watches cased to the jeweler, so it is unlikely this is something done at the time of sale? I am speculating here.

Lever set always seems to be worth more than pendant. Look at Hamilton 950 for example, at least from what I have observed, I assume based on RR requirements and RR collectability.

Pendant set allows it to be sold as a luxury watch for non-RR use, again I speculate. Many high end watches were offered like this from what I have seen. Again Hamilton 950 comes to mind. I don't think the common (non-RR employee) purchaser wanted a lever set watch? I am sure there were those that did however...

Last edited:

Old rookie

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2021
Country
Hello Old Rookie,

Series 0 had a few variations, so I can not comment on what is appropriate for your watch.

However, my original question when I asked is the same as now.

"Wow, are those hands correct?!? I have never seen E. Howard umbrella hands on a Keystone Howard!"

So I am not saying your hands are INCORRECT, I am asking if they are correct. Innocent before proven guilty.

I have never seen those style hands on a Keystone Howard, they were exciting for me to see, and I was wondering if that was a style of hands used by Keystone? Others may know (or not) if Keystone ever used the E. Howard umbrella style hands.
SpringDriven you were never accused much less indicted. ;) Your innocence was never questioned. Sorry if my responses came off that way. It appears we are both looking for the answer.

Reactions: SpringDriven

James J Nicholson

NAWCC Member
Jul 19, 2019
Canadensis PA
Country
Region
Reactions: okiejohn

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
I don't believe there are Keystone Factory records with enough details to say what watch was lever or pendant, available to reference.

The watch would have to be disassembled to be changed from Lever to Pendant, so that is not an easy task. Pendant set mechanism is under the barrel bridge, while lever set mechanism is under the dial.

I think? Howard advertised delivered watches cased to the jeweler, so it is unlikely this is something done at the time of sale? I am speculating here.

Lever set always seems to be worth more than pendant. Look at Hamilton 950 for example, at least from what I have observed, I assume based on RR requirements and RR collectability.

Pendant set allows it to be sold as a luxury watch for non-RR use, again I speculate. Many high end watches were offered like this from what I have seen. Again Hamilton 950 comes to mind. I don't think the common (non-RR employee) purchaser wanted a lever set watch? I am sure there were those that did however...
These seem like reasonable speculations, SpringDriven. Thanks. Since this is a new watch, I'll post it in a bit and see what anybody else thinks.

Reactions: SpringDriven

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
This is my newest watch ... missing a few parts, but it will serve a purpose*. It is a 19-jewel 0-size Riverside Maximus movement, cut down to 3/0 (a common modification for later wristwatch casing). This is one of over 7,000 made in hunting configuration.
1900 19j Max.jpg

*This is its purpose - a 19-jewel 0-size private-label Riverside Maximus, marked “Patrician” (also cut down to 3/0). Production is unknown but perhaps 50-100 made under this label to be custom-cased by H.W. Matalene. The Maximus will donate a balance wheel, balance jewels (including diamond endstones), pallet fork, gold 4th wheel and mainspring barrel to bring this to near completion. (A regulator will be taken from another movement).
19j Pat.jpg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Some of the watches in this thread deserve their own threads so that we
can talk about them and they can be found in a search. Just a thought.

Rob

Reactions: Kenny S.

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Some of the watches in this thread deserve their own threads so that we
can talk about them and they can be found in a search. Just a thought.

Rob
Does our software have a way to tag individual posts rather than the whole thread?

Reactions: Old rookie

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Jerry,

I was just saying that some very interesting watches get posted in this thread
that do not get discussed because this thread is more of a quick "show and tell" rather than
discussion of any particular interesting watch. And yes in the future it will be
hard to search this thread with 777 posts(so far) to find the ones posted here and no where else
if they are not identified by the OP enough to find in a search. Many people just post photos.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenny S. and Jskirk

vintageguy

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 27, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
It is a 19-jewel 0-size Riverside Maximus movement, cut down to 3/0 (a common modification for later wristwatch casing).
Jerry, what does it mean for a movement to be "cut down"? Thanks!

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Jerry, what does it mean for a movement to be "cut down"? Thanks!
It means the diameter of the pillar plate was reduced. For this modification it is mainly the edge that seats in the case that is taken away.

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
Here's the watch I was asking about in post #769, Howard Keystone 1113123, Series 0, c. 1912. Pocketwatchdatabase.com lists it as lever set, but it is actually pendant set. The case is an original (presumably) Howard 14K with a fairly indecipherable monogram, as usual. So did the database just get this wrong, and it was originally pendant set? Anybody know or have a guess? I'm happy with it. Don't think I need another Series 0. And unless I stumble across a five-star example, I'm probably ready to move on from Howard Keystones.

IMG_1283.JPG IMG_1276.JPG IMG_1280.JPG

rschussel

Mar 1, 2002
While most of you are concerned with obtaining higher grade watches I have been on the lookout for a 11jewel watch.
After 20 years I found my dream watch an Ariston Jr Grade 401 Open face .
Until now only one serial number was known and Jim Carroll in in his Illinois database estimated 50 had been produced.
The watch I purchased is from a different run of 50--now 100 are estimated to have been produced.
The watch is coming from the Republic of Georgia and should be in 20 days--will post pictures when it arrives. ariston gr 401 11j Ariston Jr DIAL.jpg ariston gr 401 11j Ariston Jr mvt.jpg

Paul Sullivan

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Massachusetts
Country
Region
I bought this watch last November and seem to have overlooked (i.e. forgotten about it) after purchasing, until I came across it in one of my storage cases the other day.
A first run 925GT #49753, which retains the same damaskeen pattern as the 931 which it replaced. It wasn't until serial no. 117049 that the familiar central "star burst" pattern damaskeen of the 924/925s appears. Hamilton made over 6600 gilt trim 925s.
The watch came in a coin silver HC (not original) marked only "Warranted Coin Silver" inside the front cover and a serial number, 9007, inside the rear cover.

925 49753_mvmnt (5).jpg 925 49753_dial (1).jpg collage.jpg

James J Nicholson

NAWCC Member
Jul 19, 2019
Canadensis PA
Country
Region
I bought this watch last November and seem to have overlooked (i.e. forgotten about it) after purchasing, until I came across it in one of my storage cases the other day.
A first run 925GT #49753, which retains the same damaskeen pattern as the 931 which it replaced. It wasn't until serial no. 117049 that the familiar central "star burst" pattern damaskeen of the 924/925s appears. Hamilton made over 6600 gilt trim 925s.
The watch came in a coin silver HC (not original) marked only "Warranted Coin Silver" inside the front cover and a serial number, 9007, inside the rear cover.

View attachment 652393 View attachment 652394 View attachment 652395
Great watch, love those hands.

Reactions: Paul Sullivan

Paul Sullivan

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Massachusetts
Country
Region
A first run 925 #49753, which retains the same damaskeen pattern as the 931 which it replaced. It wasn't until serial no. 117049 that the familiar central "star burst" pattern damaskeen of the 924/925s appears. Hamilton made over 6600 gilt trim 925s.

View attachment 652393 View attachment 652394 View attachment 652395
Great watch, love those hands.
As others have pointed out 49753 is not GT a brain F**t on my part. Thinking of another watch. Changed to 925.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Please remember this is the American section of the forum please keep it to
American Pocket watches.

Thank you :)

Rob

Bostonjoe

Oct 28, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
Region
My most recent acquisition sadly happened in February. It's been slim pickings for me. The watch is a Model 1883. It has a custom dial bearing the name Martin McQuaid. The case is of a type that I have seen only one other example; the front and back screw off, the main case body is not flush with the movement, the movement is housed in a recessed cavity. Happy Mother's Day everyone.

IMG_2424.JPG IMG_2425.JPG IMG_2426.JPG

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I do like those cases and it has a great dial.

Rob

luvsthetick

Mar 31, 2010
Georgia
Country
Region
The case is of a type that I have seen only one other example; the front and back screw off, the main case body is not flush with the movement, the movement is housed in a recessed cavity.
Wonderful watch!

I am curious about your case and wonder how similar it is to one I have.

Here are some pictures of mine. When I got it I had never seen one like it. The movement holder is fastened to the case body with screws and is removable. Both front bezel and rear lid have outward facing threads. The crystal is changed from the rear of the bezel via a screw in retainer ring.

DSC_0002-001.JPG

DSC_0006-001.JPG DSC_0012-001.JPG

My case was made by the Atlantic Watch Case Co. Who made yours?

DSC_0007-001.JPG

Last edited:

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
I've seen similar cases from Keystone and American of Toronto.
This patent, which matches your date, is from a Toronto man. Wondering if it's possible Atlantic was a sort of case "private label".

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Here is the one I have.

IMG_4480[2].jpg Collage 2017-11-15 07_10_33.jpg

Rob

IMG_4480[2].jpg

Last edited:

piedmontg

Jun 14, 2009
I just got this Hamilton 992E, serial number 2604135. What caught my attention about it was that it had two hearts on it. I have seen them with one but never with two. My wife has her fathers 992B that he had with him during the WWII. He was in Italy, in a unit associated with railroads. I assume he was in that unit as he worked on the CB & Q when he went into the army. His watch also has a heart on it. He told us it was painted on in Rome, and during his stay a group of his unit had them blessed by the pope. The heart was a representation of the "Sacred Heart" associated with Catholicism.

Anyway here are some pictures, the picture does not do justice to the art work. The fine detail on the dial is amazing. That dial will not be cleaned as I am sure the paint would be damaged. My father in law's watch was the same detail until he had cleaned by a "watchmaker" who dunked the dial in something, ran the paint - he always told them not to clean the dial.

Bob

992E-Face.jpg 992E-Movement.jpg

Kenny S.

NAWCC Member
Apr 12, 2020
Not far from South Park CO
Country
Region
The heart was a representation of the "Sacred Heart" associated with Catholicism.
piedmontg,

I can't tell for sure because I can't zoom in on the pictures, but normally in Catholic art when two hearts are side by side, one is The Sacred Heart of Jesus and the other is the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Distinctly different in how they are represented but again, hard for me to tell for sure. Very pretty dial to be sure though.

piedmontg

Jun 14, 2009
Kenny

You are likely correct. I looked carefully under a loupe and the band around each is slightly different.

Bob

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
Here is a very recent addition to my collection, a 21 jewel open face American Watch Company Grade Model 1888 movement, SN 7,000,907, in an engine turned 18K gold case marked "Waltham." The NAWCC Waltham research utility indicates that only a single run of a hundred open face 21 jewel AWCo Grade Model 1888's was made, but I don't know whether this information is accurate. In any event, I purchased the loose movement and the case separately on eBay. A 15 jewel movement gave up its lovely engine turned gold case with chased edges to house this higher grade movement. It's a hefty case with about 32 dwt of 18 karat gold in it. I'm pretty happy with the way this project turned out.

Please pardon the lousy cell phone photography and the spinning balance wheel. The one decent picture, of the wheel train, was shot by my watchmaker.

dial pik 2 - better.jpg movt cell pik.jpg wheel train after cleaning.JPG case - cell pik.jpg interior rear lid.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyG
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre