Please Rise

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Please all stand and put your hands together.
Let's give Bangster Tapscott a hand as today is his birthday.
Today he is celebrating 86 trips around the sun.
Besides being a message board administrator, Bangs has compiled and organized most of the items at the top of this page.
Bangs has been a selfless contributor to the board for many years and has always seemed to stay out of the limelight.
Besides being an avid “Clockie,” his accolades include being a blue grass musician and is professor emeritus in his home state.
Bangster was instrumental in getting the David Goodman book, THIS OLD CLOCK back into print.
Bangster continues to be a good friend to all.
He has repaired clocks for many years.
When you have a moment, send a PM to wish him well on his special day.
Dick Feldman

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
happy birthday, bangster !

you’ve been a big help and inspiration to me… thank you!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
HAPPY BIRTHDAY brother Bangster. I wish you well and hope you have many more "trips around the sun". Willie

Fitzclan

Jul 20, 2014
Long Island, New York
Country
Region
Happy Birthday Bangs! Always enjoy your contributions on the board.
Hope you enjoyed the day. 86, never would have guessed. God Bless You!

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Missed this, belated happy birthday. We were born on the same day 21 years apart.

woodlawndon

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2017
Woodlawn, Ontario
Country
Region
Happy Birthday to both Bangster and Novice.

I would never think to put on a Blue Grass album, but watching that style live is always a great time.
Don

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Happy Birthday to both of you. Yes Bangs has been on this mb for many years. Thanks for all you do.

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
Happy birthday, Bangster! Your encouragement helped me persevere to find a very rewarding hobby!

TooManyClocks

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2019
Country
Happy Birthday!!:):)

And a special thank you for all the hard work you’ve put into this message board!

John

Last edited:

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Bangster ++++++ !!!!!

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Happy late birthday to Bangster! Keep on ticking. :Party:

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
A belated-by-one-day wish for a very happy birthday, and years to come, Bangster! I appreciate all the work you do for this forum, and for the help and warm welcome you gave me when I found this place as a complete newcomer to clock repair eight months ago.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Thanks for all of your hard work, Bangs! You 'da man!

Old Rivers

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2016
North Texas
Country
Region
Happy Birthday Bangster!
Your friendly spirit, dedication and contributions to the Forums are very much appreciated.

Bluegrass music and horology are two of my favorite things.

How about a Youtube link or two showing off your pickin' prowess ?

Bill

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Late to the party but "Happy Belated Birthday" Bangster! :Party::emoji_birthday::emoji_cake::emoji_champagne_glass::emoji_icecream::emoji_ice_cream::emoji_wine_glass::chuckling:
...and many more!

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
Jeez! I'm pleased and honored! Thanks friends, for all the good wishes and kind words. Almost made me feel young
again.:clap::offtopic::cuckoo::yoda:
Let us keep on clockin'.
bangster
So, Bangster, I’m curious...now that we know you are a bluegrass musician, can I ask what you play? Dobro, autoharp, mandolin, washboard, banjo, all the above?

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Happy belated birthday! Thanks for all you do!

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
A little music for the party. Great idea Muse!

The musician wearing the straw hat in this video (Gerald) is our son's (Dillon) father-in-law. Dillon has always been a lucky duck! The band played for their wedding. It was one was of the best ceremonies I've ever attended.

Bangster, thanks for all you do. A week doesn't go by where I don't read or refer someone to one of your tutorials. We're a much better community with you in it.

Reactions: Old Rivers

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Thanks for sharing. Now we know what you look like.
And...I was impressed with your talent.
D
Dick,

I'm humbled and embarassed by your response. That link was to a video posted by Chris Thile who is, in my opinion, THE best mandolin player on the globe. My name is Barry Blumenthal, and I'm primarily a jazz pianist and classical violinist who owns a mandolin and plays trumpet to annoy the neighbors. I've been blessed to have played with a lot of world class players in the jazz and classical arenas, but have never met Chris. It would be an honor, if that opportunity ever arises.

Reactions: Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
I'm primarily a jazz pianist
Barry,
My father was a Jazz Keyboard Musician. His instrument of choice was the Hammond B-3 but he could tickle the Ivories too.
Seems we have quite a few musicians in the community. Perhaps it's the metronome-like rhythm of the clocks?
I played "at" the Alto Sax, but I was never really serious. It was always a treat, though, to be around Dad's Combo when they rehearsed. Depending on the Gig, his band included Keyboards, Drums, Trumpet, Trombone, Guitar, Vocalist and an Upright Bass. Dad had played with Clifford Brown and Jimmy Smith was one of his favorite musicians. He was a nursing/rehabilitation home celebrity late in life as they kept a piano in the lobby. Always an entertainer, he could not resist playing requests from memory. :)

Artists bring a whole new perspective, joy and energy to life.

Regards,
Bruce

Play on bangster :emoji_musical_keyboard::emoji_violin::emoji_musical_score:

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Barry, I inherited by mothers mandolin, as well as her guitar, banjo, and hammer dulcimer. I'm not sure if the mandolin ever sounded as well as your video, but she enjoyed her music and passed it on to all of her six children. We were singing harmony professionally since we were very young, and most learned an instrument or two as well. I'm a guitarist, but your video makes me want to learn how to play the mandolin now :D

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Hey, the party is not over yet, is it?

Bangster (or Dick) is going to have to kick us out... :chuckling:

Seems we do have a lot of musical talent in the community.

There's bangster, Musechaser, Bruce Linde, shutterbug, wow...I'm sure there must be others.

Here's a three minute video of a very young musician playing a popular song (ten years ago).

She's not the best guitarist on the globe, but I think she shows great potential.

I guess her dad was/is a guitarist. What do you stringed instrument musicians think?

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
my favorite guitar player. No relation.

Last edited:

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Horologists and musicians do seem to be a common combination.
I shall add another to my list.
Do any of you musicians have trouble enjoying chime clocks that are not perfectly tuned?

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
In answer to an earlier question (and get clear I was never in the league of Thile or the Waterbound gang or the
harp-guitar guy...but I got by), when I was still playing it was upright bass and flattop guitar. Never guitar in a band...
solo,hangin' around, jam sessons. porch-pickin', that sort of thing. One of my many odd features is that I know over
400 songs, which ain't bad for a small-time musician. Fortunately for everybody, I never tried to play them all in
a row. I deserve no credit for that collection. Songs just stick in my head.
I've played in a number of local bands, best one we called The Bluegrass Conspiracy, from around 1990 to 1995 or
so. I see that there's a newer band that's taken the name, but they are usurpers. We moved beyond local, played
engagements in other cities and states and in Canada. I don't think there's any of our stuff on Youtube, which
is a damn shame.
A few years ago my left hand gave out and wouldn't make chords no more, so now I pride myself as an
EX-bluegrass musician, along with a clock fixer, author, and other things.

I HAVE to know the names of the Waterbound gang. They are superb.

And again, THANKS y'all for the birthday wishes and kind words. I won't forget them.
Now, let's get back to clockin'.

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
Happy belated Birthday banister! Never was good at being on time!!!!!! :D

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Hey barrister, you throw a great party! Looks like you might have to kick us out and lock the door (Thread) ....hiccup...:chuckling:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
One of the best guitarists alive today is Tommy Emanuel (sp?) Until I saw him up close and personal in a live concert, I thought he was cheating and his songs were dubbed over. Not so. He does all of that stuff at the same time! Amazing!

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
One of my many odd features is that I know over
400 songs, which ain't bad for a small-time musician.
To have a 400 song playbook in your head is pretty incredible bangster! Magicians, musicians...your brains are just wired differently.
That is too bad that your band was a little before YouTube. I wish that I had recorded some of my Dad's music. At that time, Reel-to-Reel stereo tape recordings were state of the art stuff. He was a local musician in Omaha, Nebraska. They played at large night clubs and lounges. A few folks who danced their weekends away left comments in his local newspaper's online obit, but his music is lost to the ages.

I can lose hours watching YouTube.

I HAVE to know the names of the Waterbound gang. They are superb.
The band is Molasses Creek. They are out of North Carolina. They do some regional touring. We went to see them in concert in Gettysburg, PA. They are all excellent. They have a violin player, "Fiddler Dave", who takes things to the next level. In the Waterbound Video, the guy in the straw hat, (our son's father-in-law) name is Gerald Hampton. He also has a shop where he fabricates, and restores stringed instruments. He'll sometimes pick through unused lumber from the Gibson Factory for his shop.

He once told us that two identical Gibson models, one manufactured right after the other can have different "voices". If that is true for high-quality musical instruments, the same must be true for clocks.

They have a website at: MOLASSES CREEK BAND

Well, I really should get back to "clocking". Got a lot of them waiting on me and I don't want to run out of time.

Best regards,

Bruce

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Before I get back to clockin'...

Tommy Emmanuel is THE man on the guitar. ANYTHING that can be done on a 6-string guitar, he has done it or is about to.
There is no parallel, although Frank Vignola is a comer. He and Tommy play together a lot. Personable, he seems willing
to pick with anybody that asks him to, and there are recordings to prove it. He does a duet with a kid (now a guy) called
Billy Strings. Strings is a hot picker when it comes to notes-per-second, but nowhere near the maturity, variety, and breadth of
ol' Tommy. Things to check out on Youtube between clocks.

Now, back to our regular programming

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
He once told us that two identical Gibson models, one manufactured right after the other can have different "voices". If that is true for high-quality musical instruments, the same must be true for clocks.
The proof of that is heard in the example above with the young girl. She's not bad for her age, but her guitar sounds like crap to me. Don't go cheap when buying instruments or clocks! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samways
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller