please ID this clock kieninger obergfell

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by mcarp, Apr 30, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mcarp

mcarp Registered User

Apr 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    kieninger obergfell made in germany
    14666 on bottom of back plate
    66 on inside bottom of from plate
    11.5" from bottom of base to top of dome

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not finding a match. The closest I can find is plate # 1524, labeled Sokol Montag & Co. in the book, but definitely made by KunDo. In that case, the book says CE 1930

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My "guess" was plate 1355 but some of the holes don't match up, specifically those for the suspension guard. I've read in the past that changes were going on at this early stage for Kundo, so the guide might not have all orientations documented.

Kurt

4. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    From 1926 before Kundo introduced their suspension guard. Looks complete and original. Nice.

Eric

5. mcarp

mcarp Registered User

Apr 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    a better back plate picture

6. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your back plate is not shown in the repair guide. Number 1388A has all the holes in the right places, but with the circled "KO" logo. Both logos were used within the same years. All the early Kundos used the same springs.

Eric

7. mcarp

mcarp Registered User

Apr 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thank you repliers! Old and mysterious works for me. Its running for a few hours now, seems to be in beat after a few tweeks on the suspension spring hanger, rotated slightly. I'm getting about 15ish degrees of overswing on both sides, seems a bit feeble. But I think if its running, I'm going to let it. I had a go earlier at scrubbing some pivots since it wouldnt escape before that. Also found some bent teeth on the barrel, those are now mostly straight but I hate to push my luck. Looks like this one's maybe had a few knocks. I'm pretty amazed the barrel teeth were bent since the winding applies torque to the spring center. So who knows? Dropped? turned over? No other wheels appear damaged.

8. mcarp

mcarp Registered User

Apr 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    oh btw, what size do you call this one?

9. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    mcarp, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board! Thanks for posting the info and photos of your Kundo clock. Your clock was made during a transition period when Kundo first introduced their own brass base design as well as their own rectangular profile suspension guard. The manufacturing date for your is about Aug. - Sept. 1926 based on the serial number. The lowest serial number documented with the guard so far is 14587 made just before your clock, the highest number we have for one without the guard is 15581 showing there was about a 2-1/2 month transition period. Your movement has Plate 1355, however without the suspension guard mounting holes being drilled being the only difference. Your clock also has the newly designed Kundo base that was introduced about four months earlier, serial number 12935 being the lowest number thus far with the same base.

Eric mentions Plate 1388A having the same layout as your back plate, which is correct. However, my "system" for identification of plates not shown in the Repair Guide is based on Terwilliger's convention of using the markings on the plates as the first "identifier" for a given plate, with other variants being labeled a "A", "B", etc. That would show your plate to be labeled 1355A if it were illustrated in the Repair Guide. There are a number of errors in the various Kundo plates with regard to the position of the click spring mounting screw hole and positioning tab hole. Even Plate 1355 is not shown correctly for that feature, the positions shown did not appear until after serial number 54000 when the pendulum base cup was first introduced.

Your clock appears to be complete and original, keep us posted as you get it cleaned up. This is a standard size clock in answer to your last question just posted. The other sizes we normally reference are miniature and midget for glass dome clocks. Other types of cases have their own names but also may be standard, miniature, or midget size.

10. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Bent teeth on the main wheel are almost always a spring failure at or near the center.
    It is possible that the hook on the arbor failed, click failed or a spring broke.
    I would suspect if the spring broke it was replaced and found to not work.
    It eventually ending in your hands.
    It is best to inspect the hook and the ratchet in such cases.
    Tinker Dwight

11. mcarp

mcarp Registered User

Apr 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    John, thank you, that is fascinating history. I love that kinda stuff. I was reading in that post your W Wurth clocks here thread and all that was good stuff too.

Thinker, thank you, I'll definitely check that arbor.