Please help with this watch I bought

WestEnd

Dec 29, 2016
Country
Hi everybody!

This is my first post on the forum. :)

I just bought a 15 rubis gold watch. I think it is beatiful. It is in a perfect condition, always on time.
I know a couple things about it; just wondering how accurate they are.
It is for sure gold, I just dont know the purity as I could not find any hallmarks.
The jeweller told me it is around 10k. I dont know how accurate that is.
It is 44 mm without the crown and 54 mm with it.
I believe there is an applique on it, but I am unsure as I have seen similar Swiss pocket watches with this style now.
I put the date to around the early 1900s. Too late?
So I was wondering what else is there to know about it? Are my details even accurate?

Thank you for your help & opinion!

4.jpg 1.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg
3.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited:

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Hi WestEnd,and wellcome to this message board.Your pics show a good quality swiss 15jewels lever movement,stem wound and set,not the top of the line,but good quality as said,made ca 1900+-10years,in an open face case;the yellowish chapter decal running from 13 to 24 hours is an aftermarket addition and should be (professionaly) removed from the nice enamel dial when the watch is serviced the next time.The movements specifications are engraved on the second cover over the movement,the so called cuvette.
Re the "gold" case: afaik solid gold items such like watch cases and jewellery were without exception marked with the fine content of the precious metal at the time this case was made,in all civilized countries; so the lack of a respective mark leads me to the conclusion that this case is not solid gould alltough it is in nice shape and no brassing through.
Best regards
Burkhard

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Welcome to the board, Westend :)

Burkhard is right that it would be exceptionally unusual for a gold case to have no assay mark, unless it has been rubbed away by gross over-polishing. Sometimes Swiss assay marks are very small and yoiu may not have noticed them. If your case is marked, the best place to look will be on the inside of the back cover (the one opened in your first photo). Take a photo of that surface in natural light, with the camera at a slight angle to the surface and the light on the far side away from the camera. That angle will help to create shadow of any engraving or punch mark. Make sure the photo is accurately in focus and of high pixel density.

Post that photo here and we can download and enlarge your photo to see if we can spot a mark. If there is none I would rate the chances of the case being gold very low!

WestEnd

Dec 29, 2016
Country
Thanks for the friendly welcome! I think it might be possible that the hallmarks have been polished away. I will take a better look and more pictures, as I just got this watch. Due to the fact that it was mandatory to mark gold since the late 1800s, it might be gold filled, but the back cover is very soft, gold-like, so have to further inspect. Might also think about removing that applique. :) I am going to update this post soon! Happy New Year!

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
I stand corrected,indeed pin set!
Best
Burkhard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members