Barr & Poole Please help with my Barr battery clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by cvcman, Dec 1, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. cvcman

cvcman Registered User

Dec 15, 2011
    We inherited this from my MIL..it WAS running great at her house but now keeps decent time sometimes it runs too fast and other times to slow...but pretty close...the problem is it toggles every 10 or 15 swings of the pedulem...I have it on my mantel and it is level...is it the little screw points like contacts or something else I can try ??

2. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A picture would help

3. cvcman

cvcman Registered User

Dec 15, 2011
    Picture of the Barr clock ?? Sorry I just assumed everyone knew what they were...ill take one and try to figure out how to post it

4. cvcman

cvcman Registered User

Dec 15, 2011
    ok see if this comes thru

thank you

Attached Files:

5. Dick Feldman

Dick Feldman Registered User

Sep 1, 2000
    Colorado, usa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Cvcman

Barr and Poole clocks work under the same operating principle. They are electric/mechanical clocks.

It would be good for you to search under “Electric Horology” for either name.

Maybe one of the moderators will transfer your post to Electric Horology.

I think you will get a better response.

Best Regards,

Dick Feldmanb

6. cvcman

cvcman Registered User

Dec 15, 2011
    it acts lke its not getting a hard enogh "push" on the pendulem....all I know is it was running fine efore I moved it to my house....there has to be something I can clean or something to free it up

7. Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
    Colorado, usa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Dick Feldman, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    For an overview of posts on this board about Barr/Poole clocks:

In Electric Horology, click “Advanced Search” on the top right of the window.
    In “Key Word” enter Barr Poole.
    In “Search in Forum” highlight Electric Horology.
    Click “Search Now” at the bottom of the window.
    That will bring up quite a few previous discussions about the care and maintenance of Barr/Poole clocks.

I work on these so seldom, it seems I have to go through the relearn, review process with each one I see. These discussions and a copy of the NAWCC Bulletin article should help get your clock functioning properly again.

Best of Luck,

Dick

8. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    cvcman wrote in part: "the problem is it toggles every 10 or 15 swings of the pedulem".

Most who own or have owned the Poole and Barr Hipp-Toggle type pendulum clocks report 25 full strokes of the pendulum between impulses is desired.

The pendulum impulse force is not adjustable. It is a product of the gravity arm release function. The gravity arm release timing is critical and not adjustable either but is affected by any friction or lack of freedom of the toggle linkage. The viscosity of any oil or lubricant on the release linkage slows the action of the toggle linkage. Any delay of the release of the gravity arm causes the gravity arm to deliver its impulse too late in the arc of the pendulum which actually impedes the pendulum motion. Most agree that oiling these clocks should be avoided.

Most Poole battery clocks have a level bubble on the base. The clock should be level and placed on a stable platform such as a mantel.

9. cvcman

cvcman Registered User

Dec 15, 2011
    the level is WAY off but I set it with a machine level so its on

10. cvcman

cvcman Registered User

Dec 15, 2011
    Eckmill, im not sure what pc is the gravity arm is...is there something i can try to see if I can clean or :???: It keeps decent time but just cycles too often..I see the little wheel that seems to be touching the peg almost all the time ??

11. Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
    Colorado, usa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Barr/Poole clocks are very unique and not good candidates to learn on.

From your posts, it seems to me you are into this clock beyond your competence level.

Would I be wrong in suggesting you find a repair person qualified to work on your mother-in- law’s treasured clock before you do irreversable damage?

Dick