Please Help with maker identification and age

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Rodney Wilbert, Nov 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rodney Wilbert

Rodney Wilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello all. I just purchased an antique tall case clock at a local auction. The auction house had it advertised as the maker being Rich Stone of Thames. However in the face it is engraved Reading. Not sure if it is Reading Pa or Reading in England which I believe is near Thames. They also said it was circa 1770 . I tried searching for the maker but come up empty handed. I am not sure what the case is made out of but it does have some fine inlay around the door and on the body of the case. It's not in the best of condition with the lower boards seperating at the seams. It is also missing the pendulum rod and suspension spring so I will have to try to figure all the particulars out such as length and spring size. The cast iron pendulum has a rectangular hole to accept a flat pendulum rod. Any help and info will be greatly appreciated.

20191117_164915.jpg 20191117_164941.jpg 20191117_165023.jpg 20191117_165051.jpg IMG_8414-4-88x300.jpg IMG_8415-4-194x300.jpg IMG_8416-4-139x300.jpg IMG_8417-3-194x300.jpg

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would think English. Here is a link to a clock by Rich Stone Thame, maybe you can find some similarities. He may have moved from one place to the other. http://www.oldclocks.ie/shop/richard-stone-thame-longcase-clock/#!prettyPhoto
    With regard to the length of the suspension spring, it needs to be so that when it is hanging from the suspension the brass block attached to it is inside the opening of the crutch. Timesavers sells this kind of suspension spring complete with the brass block. Before you measure, I would suggest that you straighten this piece of the crutch. It should be horizontal, not bent upwards. Probably it has been bent to accommodate a suspension spring that was too short. Bend carefully and slowly. If in doubt, anneal the section to be bent.

Uhralt

Jmeechie likes this.
  3. Rodney Wilbert

NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Uhralt. I looked at the link and it looks somewhat similar in design. I googled the distance from Thames and Reading and it is around 20 miles so it could be conceivable that he changed residence from Thames to Reading but who knows. Yes I noticed the bent crutch and figured I would have to straighten it. Thanks for the info about the suspension spring. It will no doubt be a challenge and take me some time to get this old treasure running. Certainly would increase the value in running condition.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    In order to avoid confusion, both now and in the future, please note that the town you are speaking of is THAME, which is near Reading (in England). The THAMES is a river, which is near a lot of places.

Richard Stone was working in THAME (as Uhralt correctly stated). And yes, he might well have moved to Reading at some point - others may have more information on that. (I think the OP may have googled the distance from Reading to (the river) Thames, as the distance to Thame (the town) is nearer 30 miles than 20.

JTD

5. Rodney Wilbert

NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Ahhh Thank you JTD. I stand corrected. Good observation.

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    You're welcome. It's a nice old clock.

JTD