Please help with a Rockford Watch & Chicago Watch Cover Co. ? 1885 pocket watch

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by oregoncollector, Feb 26, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. oregoncollector

oregoncollector New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    #1 oregoncollector, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    I guess what I should have said was more the maker or rarity of the watch cover. Unfortunately my Grandmother recently passed at the wonderful age of 99. Most of what she passed on to me, I will keep and cherish, including her small collection of pocket watches. However, I never committed to memory what she told me (who they belong to/the significance etc.) of them. I decided to do a little research myself...which has been a blast! I'm not looking for value or a venue to sell this particular item...I just don't know anything about it or the collection in general. This particular one has me intrigued because I really want to find out if its the Chicago Watch Cover Co., the Crescent Watch Cover Co., or perhaps even the Canadian Watch Cover Co.? The logo is similar to that of the Crescent, which I've learned, eventually purchased the Chicago Co., but I'm stumped. I can't find it anywhere. Plus the stamped number is relatively "low", 4506. So, I've decided to come here to hopefully gain some knowledge. A couple pieces of information that I (think correctly, but not 100% sure) have identified if that the watch is a Rockford, possibly an 1885 model 2. The serial number is 87467 on the back of the watch. ANY additional information/direction would be much much appreciated! I've tried to take an attach photos, that hopefully are included.
    Thanks much, and sorry for the long winded post.
    Eric

Attached Files:

2. darrahg

darrahg Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    retired from computing, networking
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a link to the Crescent Watch Case Co. https://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?title=Crescent_Watch_Case_Co I don't track watch case serial numbers so do not know about the rarity of it. It has moderate wear but still plenty of life left in it.
    You identified the Rockford correctly. It is a nice one in that the plates are nickel and not the more common gilt. Here is a link to the Rockford database on the Chapter 149 web site. Just enter the movement serial number (87467) for more information. http://www.nawcc-ch149.com/db_resch/rockforddatabase_E.html Rockford did not keep a very accurate accounting of its product, thus, some information might be in error.

3. oregoncollector

Feb 26, 2013
    Thank you for your reply! What I really want to find out is how early, or in in fact, its a Chicago not Crescent cover. I've looked through all of the marks under Crescent, and this one is different. Stumped!
    Thanks again!

4. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User

Aug 25, 2000
    Eric,

Regarding your case/watch, I believe that it dates to the time (c. 1884) when the Chicago Watch Case Co. was making a line of gold-filled "Crescent" cases. So it's a Chicago (in my opinion).

Greg

5. oregoncollector

Feb 26, 2013
    Thanks Greg. Do you come across the Chicago "mark" very often?

6. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User

Aug 25, 2000
    I've most often seen the marking "Chicago" (which I've always assumed is for Chicago Watch Case Co.) on coin silver cases. As for the "C. W. C. Co." marking with the different crescent and star trademark (i. e. like yours), I can't remember when I last saw one. Of course, the later Crescent Watch Case Co. cases with the "typical" crescent and star mark (and also marked "C. W. C. Co.") are very common.

It's all rather confusing, to me anyway.

7. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
  8. oregoncollector

Feb 26, 2013
    #8 oregoncollector, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2018
    Kent
    Forgive my ignorance, but I can't seem to located the hallmark you refer to anywhere on or around page 113. I'm aware of what the Crescent hallmarks look like, but nowhere have I been able to find the one on this watch. Hopefully you have.
    Thanks!

9. Squite

Squite Registered User

Jun 26, 2012
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The crescent mark found under the serial number in photo #3 of the initial post is found in the middle of the right hand side of page 133 on the linked circular. The crescent mark in the ad has a "AWWCo." above it, but the mark itself is the same. You need to remember marks do change their labels, font styles, etc. over time. It's just a previous version of the same mark. It should be taken with the other documentation Kent provided (regarding the acquisition) to tell the entire story.

10. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Page 113 of the book is page 131 of the pdf document. The trade mark is the fourth one down in the second column from the right.

11. Squite

Squite Registered User

Jun 26, 2012
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry, I meant p 113. I've been sick this week...it's starting to show in my lack of attention to detail. My apologies.

12. RDSwords

RDSwords Registered User

Feb 16, 2013
    Electrical Engineer
    Raleigh, NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    See another thread where we are having a similar discussion today. I just assembled a movement just like this one tonight (but with a gold plated finish), and have some pictures of it, along with the serial number. Like yours, mine has two movement mounting screws and is key wound. Mine is both key and stem wound, and is lever set, but is a hunter configuration (crown at 3:00 position). We are having trouble nailing down how to classify it because it has a mixture of features that are supposed to delineate between a Model 1 and Model 2 movement. Yours is another movement where the serial number does not seem to agree with the official Rockford list, or the unofficial serial lookup tables.

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?99582-ID-this-Rockford-18s-movement&p=755590&posted=1#post755590