Please help to identify this English clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Allan Fetherolf, Dec 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Allan Fetherolf

Allan Fetherolf Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Just got this one and need help in identifying. On the dial is written Regent St. , London. Unfortunately the makers name is not visible. On the movement are the fancy initials "BR" and the numbers 24545 and under those the numbers 81. I think the tiles are Delft. The clock is 18 inches tall and 12 wide. The 24545 number is also on the pendulum bob. DSC07012.JPG DSC07013.JPG DSC07014.JPG DSC07015.JPG DSC07018.JPG DSC07012.JPG DSC07013.JPG DSC07014.JPG DSC07015.JPG DSC07018.JPG

2. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would say the movement is French and the name on the dial, which was not fired on by the dialmaker, probably was the late 19th-century retailer.

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a typically French pendulum I think.

4. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Another vote for a French clock retailed in London. This is a square plate pendule Paris movement, which should strike the hours, and then the half hour in passing. Probably late 19th or early 20th century by the case style.

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your petite sonnerie has exactly the same style pendulum.

6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    As is often the case, the responses focus upon the movement. Honestly, IMCO, the least significant aspect of this clock. A square plate late 19th century French or German movement. Pick your maker. I'm sure someone has a table of serial #'s who will date the clock. Honestly, not the real point of interest here. These movements were placed in 1000's of late 19th - early 20th century clocks.

To me, the true price of admission and the real value of a clock like this lies in the tiles.

The Father Time dial is great. Surrounded by tiles bearing the symbols of the zodiac.

The other tiles are rather decorative.

Any indication who made them? Sometimes there's a maker's name on the back of them if you can access it.

Yes, blue and white and maybe "Delft" but not the typical motifs I've seen.

Nice clock.

RM.

7. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Chris Radano, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    The French square movement was held in high esteem in it's day, especially by the early German factories who emulated it.
    Here are some more thoughts...the case to me is English made in the Arts & Crafts style. The Arts & Crafts movement began in England. Where were the tiles made? Holland? England? France? Elsewhere? I don't know. If they're Delft they were made in the Netherlands. So, the clock itself was probably not mass produced in the sense that it could be found in a factory catalog with a model number. It was probably a higher-end, quality clock that dates to c. 1880.
    We tend to describe clocks such as these as "French" clocks, but really when one examines them closer the origin may not be so simple.

8. Peter John

Peter John Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Watch and clock repair
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Alan, what kind of info is on the label inside the clock? Peter

9. Allan Fetherolf

Allan Fetherolf Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Two labels. One says The German Clockmaker, Eugen Erkert, Phoenix and the other says William Heine Clocks, Wilmington and Philadelphia, PA 7/13/65

10. Peter John

Peter John Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Watch and clock repair
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Eugene Erkert used to be on 23rd ave and Camelback Rd. He has been gone for at least 15 years. He was well into his 80’s then.

11. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #11 jmclaugh, Dec 25, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    The obscured name on the dial is the retailer. The movement is of interest to me as I have a French marble clock with the same BR mark but I've never managed to identify who he was but while trying to I have come across some other clocks with that mark. Some of those movements were otherwise unmarked like this one and mine while some also had a Japy stamp so BR was a finisher of bought in roulants from Japy and others. The movement in my clock is an unusually large round pendule de Paris timepiece, this is the first square one by him I've seen though they are far less common than round ones. Serial #s on French clock movements are usually of no use for anything other than determining if the pendulum has the same number and is therefore original. 81 is I would think the pendulum length in French inches. The case has an Arts and Crafts look to it but it isn't my cup of tea though the tiles are nice.

12. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm in agreement about the tiles being the point of interest, very attractive. The bottom four, appear to represent the four seasons perhaps. The zodiac symbols have more depth and a bit more work than the ones I've seen.

13. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I suppose the "8 1" would be the pendulum length in pouces and lignes, appx. 8.5 - 9 inches, if I have converted right.

14. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I agree! The 4 seasons.

RM