Please help me to identify this Junghans clock

zooi

Apr 16, 2012
Country
IMG_5232.jpg IMG_5231.jpg IMG_5234.jpg IMG_5235.jpg IMG_5239.jpg

Hi There!

I have here a Junghans clock and am looking for weeks now on the internet and Ebay to identify it, and get an idea of its value.
Seems that this board hosts a lot of experts, so i would like to ask if anyone out there has any idea?

I has a few numbers on the back: W.273 (type?) and 64 (year of production?)

Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
We can,t discuss values here, against board rules.Ebay is a good place usually to get a idea about that, as many clocks sell on that web site.

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region
Zooi, first of all, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board.
You can post your country's flag if you like, by editing your User Profile.
It's easy. That way we might be able to give some more specific information,
according to your location.
You have a very early post WW 2 clock, 1946 I would presume. There is, however a chance,
that the number 64 is halfbeats per minute. I'm not quite sure. If so, the clock is probably
1950s.
As far as I know, the W274 movement was only built until 1959, with a 1959 Junghans
catalogue not even listing it anymore. In that catalogue there are only 2 clocks listed
with a similar case style (1930s design, actually) and it was pretty outdated by the 1960s.
As Veritas has already noted, value discussions are not permitted on the MB, but a theoretical
value does depend on the market prices of your particular country and these can be considerably
different for this type of clock. Viewing closed auctions on Ebay is a very good shot.

zooi

Apr 16, 2012
Country
Zooi, first of all, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board.
You can post your country's flag if you like, by editing your User Profile.
It's easy. That way we might be able to give some more specific information,
according to your location.
You have a very early post WW 2 clock, 1946 I would presume. There is, however a chance,
that the number 64 is halfbeats per minute. I'm not quite sure. If so, the clock is probably
1950s.
As far as I know, the W274 movement was only built until 1959, with a 1959 Junghans
catalogue not even listing it anymore. In that catalogue there are only 2 clocks listed
with a similar case style (1930s design, actually) and it was pretty outdated by the 1960s.
As Veritas has already noted, value discussions are not permitted on the MB, but a theoretical
value does depend on the market prices of your particular country and these can be considerably
different for this type of clock. Viewing closed auctions on Ebay is a very good shot.
First of all, thank you for the welcome and this information. This is already more then i could find in weeks!
I wasn't aware that it wasn't alowed to discuss value's. Sorry for that.

Is there any way to find out more about the production date?

Again thanks in advance!

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Your clock has a "membrane gong",a device Junghans held a patent on to amplify the sound of the gong rods in relative small cases.Verry nice and effective.Congrats!
Burkhard

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region
Thank you, Burkhard, yes, I missed the "Membrangong", sorry.
The patent started was applied for in 1949 and continued in three or four variants
until ca. 1960.
The gong type wasalso patented in the United States in 1957.
Allright, that tells us, the number "64" is not a date code, your clock is 1950s.

JHPat-US.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CopperPry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre