Please help me ID my new acquisition

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Dipsy, Mar 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dipsy

Dipsy Registered User
    Donor

Apr 26, 2013
    Retired
    South Africa
    Country Flag:
    Hi Guys & Girls,

I acquired this nice long case clock recently. I need some assistance in identifying the manufacturer, age of the clock and clock case as well as any other history re this clock. The clock case is 6 feet 6 inches tall, solid oak (dark stain). The only markings I found on the entire clock and clock movement, are the letters MD front bottom center on the clock movement behind the face dial. The letters MD were precision stamped into the wood of the mvt. The time and strike chain gears are placed behind each other, not next to each other. The trapezium for the leader is not original, the chain/chains as well as the leader, the weights, crutch and pendulum are missing and need to be replaced. Few pics attached for your comments and assistance please.

Kind regards.
    Etienne.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. ballistarius

ballistarius Registered User

Oct 26, 2009
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Region Flag:
    Hi Etienne,
    I'm afraid that I cannot help you at all about the beautiful case, but the movement is clearly a Black Forest one, one with wooden arbors, which would place it, say, in the first half of 19th century.
    'MD' should identify the maker of the wooden cage, only.
    The hands are clearly Black forest ones too, but the dial looks rather non-BF, which points to some kind of marriage...
    I hope that somebody more knowledgeable will drop and give you more information.:)
    Regards,

Aitor

3. Dipsy

Dipsy Registered User
    Donor

Apr 26, 2013
    Retired
    South Africa
    Country Flag:
    Hi Aitor, Thank you ever so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Kind regards.
    Etienne.

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The dial looks a bit French to me, the movement is very interesting, not as taken with the case but your barleytwists are opposing which always looks better I think.

You may want to treat the worm before you leave it in the house too long though you must have much more exotic woodboring bettles.

5. Dipsy

Dipsy Registered User
    Donor

Apr 26, 2013
    Retired
    South Africa
    Country Flag:
    Hi Novicetimekeeper,

Thank you very much for your feed-back. Treatment already sorted thx. Fortunately the wood beetles only attacked the the clock mvt due to the softer wood being an easier target. They did not attempt to attack the solid oak of the clock case. The oak is much too hard and solid, the bugs didn't even attempt to take the smallest nibble. Few pics of the finial attached. Linseed & Teak oil mixture applied. The oak varies between 25 and 50 mm.

Kind regards.
    Etienne.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    It likely would not have had a leader, just a single wire rod.
    The trapeze hanger looks to be a copper wire. That won't last.
    It is a really nice looking movement. Keep us informed as
    you get it working.
    Tinker Dwight

7. Dipsy

Dipsy Registered User
    Donor

Apr 26, 2013
    Retired
    South Africa
    Country Flag:
    Hi Tinker,

Yes, I agree, the make-shift trapezium will not last. I shall replace it with something which is more durable i.e. pivot wire or fishing pole/sinker wire. Any idea how the chain/chains should be hooked up? Does this movement operate with one chain which is in the shape of a loop, similar to those found in the Skippertjie and Dikkop Dutch Frieslander clocks? I shall post updates when the mvt is up and running.

Kind regards.
    Etienne.

8. ballistarius

ballistarius Registered User

Oct 26, 2009
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Region Flag:
    #8 ballistarius, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Etienne,
    Trapeziums in BF clocks are made of iron wire, but they hang from the backboard. Yours had its backboard replaced by a new, cruder (looks like plywood, doesn't it?) one. The original, arched, backboard also held the loops for the attachment of the wooden side doors. Those BF movements used two separated chains and two weights of, say, around 2 kg each.
    Maybe it is just a trick of the eye, but it looks like if your case was in origin designed for a different kind of movement and now the weight of your movement (plus future weights) is just held by the dial. It would help if you could make the block at the back higher to support the movement (or put some kind of seatboard)[​IMG]
    Regards,

Aitor

Attached Files:

9. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    As Aitor said, it would be two chains. If it was made to used
    a single chain, only one chain wheel would have a ratchet.
    The other would have been fixed.
    Tinker Dwight

10. Dipsy

Dipsy Registered User
    Donor

Apr 26, 2013
    Retired
    South Africa
    Country Flag:
    Hi Tinker & Ballistarius,

I agree with both of you. I am of the opinion that this may be a marriage clock. Few additional pics herewith for evaluation. The clock case has it's own two little side doors which can be removed, the mvt backboard was replace at some stage, the round glass window in the front door sits quite low and I don't think the pendulum bob of the BF mvt would be visible. The length of the pendulum would simply be too long? The clock case looks authentic mid 1800's?
    Regards.
    Etienne.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd be surprised if the case were as early as that but I have no evidence to support that.