• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Please help me for my URGOS clock

Cyrus

Dec 3, 2022
Country
Dear all,
I'm looking for help to know the type of my URGOS watch.
Behind I can read:

URGOS
MADE IN GERMANY
2 (TWO) JEWELS
AN ADJUSTED

But nothing else is written. The watch has some problems and I would like to look for some spare parts; for this reason i need to know the exact type of mechanism. I post some pictures of the watch hoping you can help me. A thousand thanks!

IMG_20221127_192001.jpg IMG_20221127_192024.jpg IMG-20221124-WA0004.jpg IMG-20221124-WA0005.jpg IMG_20221127_184523.jpg IMG-20221124-WA0002.jpg

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
This looks like an older version of Urgos' UW 6/37 movement, used in many clocks during the 1960's.
It features a Hettich balance wheel escapement instead of a pendulum.

The costs to remake missing parts from scratch would be excessive and to most people, not worth it.
Instead you may be able to track down a later version of the same movement which should fit up into your case.
They regularly turn up for sale and usually require an overhaul to operate.
Once in a while an older UW 6/37 will turn up for sale instead.

Photos of a later Urgos UW 6/37 can be seen here:

Cyrus

Dec 3, 2022
Country
This looks like an older version of Urgos' UW 6/37 movement, used in many clocks during the 1960's.
It features a Hettich balance wheel escapement instead of a pendulum.

The costs to remake missing parts from scratch would be excessive and to most people, not worth it.
Instead you may be able to track down a later version of the same movement which should fit up into your case.
They regularly turn up for sale and usually require an overhaul to operate.
Once in a while an older UW 6/37 will turn up for sale instead.

Photos of a later Urgos UW 6/37 can be seen here:

Cyrus

Dec 3, 2022
Country
Thanks for the information;
The problem is that, if I can't define the model precisely, and without a schematic, I can't be able to easily find spare parts.
In this regard, can you give me a useful link to a diagram, at least to identify the various parts even if for a subsequent but similar model?
In fact, the clock lacks a wheel on the rear panel (see attached photo) which I would like to find as a spare.
I hope that either you or some other kind member of the group can be of help. In this regard I think I will also open another post.
Thanks in advance.

Ruota Mancante.jpg

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The missing grub gear is the same size as the large gear beneath, with a sleeve and grub screw to help hold it onto the shaft.

grub gear.jpg

Urgos dumped most of their older archived material after they were bought up by Walter Steinbach in 1992.
Urgos was sold again to Hermle in December 1999. New weight driven Urgos movements have been produced through Hermle

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH may be able to help find diagrams or a spare springwind movement.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It looks like the missing wheel was removed to silence the chimes. When people do things like that, it would be nice if they would attach it to the movement some place so it doesn't get lost.
On a side note, over here a watch is a device worn on the wrist. Your type of device is a clock. I know there are communication differences in different cultures ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jo Joyce
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent