Please help me find out who made this clock.

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Lesley1l, Nov 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lesley1l

Lesley1l New Member

Nov 28, 2019
    Country Flag:
    20190915_134634.jpg 20190915_134638.jpg 20190915_134634.jpg 20190915_134638.jpg Hi Everyone,
    I recently inherited this clock from my father. I would like to find out who the maker was, what the star pattern and numbers on the back mean and any other information, please? I know it was passed down through my family from relatives in Austria. An opinion on whether or not I should get it repaired would be appreciated too.
    Thank you for taking the time to look at my post.
    Lesley1l

20190915_134638.jpg 20190915_134705.jpg

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the board, Lesley.

The trademark on the backboard of your movement is that of Adolph Stern, an Austrian wholesaler / retailer / case maker of clocks.

Since there appears to be a name of a retailer on the dial, I would say that Stern wholesaled the clock and the name of the person on the dial retailed the clock. Please provide a better picture of the dial.

In order to identify the manufacturer of the clock, we will need to see clear pictures of the back of the movement. Your clock will most likely be Austrian or German.

Regards.

3. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

A correction to my response, above - "The trademark on the backboard of your movement" should read "The trademark on the backboard of your case".:oops:

Regards.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, as new2clocks says, this logo was the mark of Adolf (I believe not Adolph) Stern, who was active in Wien (VIenna) at the close of the 19th beginning of the 20th century.

The name on the dial is sadly so out of focus that even enlarged it is almost impossible to decipher. The name of the town below seems to be Steyr, but the 'r' seems to have been rubbed off together (I think) with the last few letters of the name above. Vienna is of course in Austria and so is Steyr, so it would be quite consistent with the family story of it coming from Austria.

Please post a clear sharp photo of the dial and perhaps we can work out whose name in on the dial.

JTD