Please help identify ....

K

kathy_1011

Hello, I found your site by accident, I was actually looking for a pendulum for a newer grandfather clock, and found you, I have a wall clock that have been in our family since 1940's, but that it all I know about it. My grandmother gave it to me about 5 years ago saying to take care of it cause it belonged to my grandpa who treasured it. I would like to get some more info on it, it is running and keeps time really good, all I know is that it's a Blind mans clock (that coming from a guy who does maintenance cleaning on our grandfather clock, he also said it may be Becker?) it's old and came from Europe, Poland to be exact cause that is where my grandparents were from. Please help, I read through most of your forums but I'm new at this, and you say to look for #'s, there is nothing there where I can see, and I'm too afraid to try taking it apart. There is a small metal tag on the bottom of case, inside, butwhatever was on it was scratched off. I'm including few pictures, maybe someone out there has one like it and can help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92101951@N00/

Thank you
Kathy

K

kathy_1011

Hello, I found your site by accident, I was actually looking for a pendulum for a newer grandfather clock, and found you, I have a wall clock that have been in our family since 1940's, but that it all I know about it. My grandmother gave it to me about 5 years ago saying to take care of it cause it belonged to my grandpa who treasured it. I would like to get some more info on it, it is running and keeps time really good, all I know is that it's a Blind mans clock (that coming from a guy who does maintenance cleaning on our grandfather clock, he also said it may be Becker?) it's old and came from Europe, Poland to be exact cause that is where my grandparents were from. Please help, I read through most of your forums but I'm new at this, and you say to look for #'s, there is nothing there where I can see, and I'm too afraid to try taking it apart. There is a small metal tag on the bottom of case, inside, butwhatever was on it was scratched off. I'm including few pictures, maybe someone out there has one like it and can help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92101951@N00/

Thank you
Kathy

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Greetings Kathy and welcome to the NAWCC message board. You have a very nice 3 weight wall clock with "grand sonnerie" strike. This is sometimes called a "blind man's" clock because if you hear it strike you would know within 15 minutes what time it was. The clock, as you probably know, strikes one time at the 1st quarter and then repeats the last hour, two times at the half and repeats the last hour, three times at the 3/4 etc...

Your clock could very well be a Becker and if so, would be marked on the back of the movement. There were factories in Freiburg, Silesia which is now Poland and also in Braunau - Bohemia which is now Czechoslovakia.

Below is a picture of a Gustav Becker 3 weight wall clock in a case of the 2nd Baroque style. It appears very similar to your clock.

199.gif

The plate in the bottom center of your clock is called a "beat Plate" and appears to have the markings worn off. In an ideal situation your pendulum would swing an equal distance to the left and right of center.

You have a very nice clock.

regards,

Richard T.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Very nice clock, Kathy, and welcome. Don't know why it was said the clock was Polish. :confused:

Richard
Freiburg is in Germany - Black Forest, a long way from Polish border: Czechoslovakia has not existed since 1993! :)

Joe Jones

Sep 23, 2004
Like Richard said, Freiburg was in Silesia, Germany, which is now Swiebodzice in Poland.
Freiburg, Schl, is (was) in Silesia, Germany. Silesia was called Schlesien, hence the Schl. that often is written with the town name. Since the end of WW II, when German names were changed back to Polish, it has been called Swiebodzice, Poland. Both names mean "free town" in their respective languages. The places are one and the same, only the names have been changed to reflect the government in power.
My sources are the 1981 printing of Kochman's trademark book, pages 84 and 204 and the NAWCC Bulletin October 1982, Whole Number 220, Vol XXIV, No. 5. An article beginning on page 515 in that Bulletin is about the Gustav Becker company which had one of their factories located in Freiburg, Schl. Germany/Swiebodzice, Poland.
Freiburg im Breisgau is the one in the Black Forest.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Good info, Joe! In addition, the GB factory in Braunau, Bohemia is now the town of Broumov, Czech Republic. At the time the GB factory was built there in 1888, Bohemia was part of Austria and not far across the border from Freiburg (Kochmann map p.268, European Trademarks, 1994 edition).

At the end of WW1 things were partitioned up and Bohemia became part of Tschechoslovakia. Some Braunau factory clock movements are stamped "Made in Tschechoslovakia".

Kathy, would sure like to see a clear photo of the back of the movement of your clock. With that we can provide positive identification of who made your clock, where it was made, and what year.

John Hubby

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Originally posted by Joe Jones:
Like Richard said, Freiburg was in Silesia, Germany, which is now Swiebodzice in Poland.
Freiburg, Schl, is (was) in Silesia, Germany. Silesia was called Schlesien, hence the Schl. that often is written with the town name. Since the end of WW II, when German names were changed back to Polish, it has been called Swiebodzice, Poland. Both names mean "free town" in their respective languages. The places are one and the same, only the names have been changed to reflect the government in power.
My sources are the 1981 printing of Kochman's trademark book, pages 84 and 204 and the NAWCC Bulletin October 1982, Whole Number 220, Vol XXIV, No. 5. An article beginning on page 515 in that Bulletin is about the Gustav Becker company which had one of their factories located in Freiburg, Schl. Germany/Swiebodzice, Poland.
Freiburg im Breisgau is the one in the Black Forest.
Thanks for that, Joe - I didn't realise there was another Freiburg, especially as the German one was (is) a clockmaking centre! Apologies to Richard. :eek:

Czechoslovakia has definitely gone, though!! :)

K

kathy_1011

Thank you everyone for all this info, wow.
I'll try posting the photo of the back of movement but maybe over the weekend. First I need to find someone who can take this clock of my wall and who knows how to take it apart. Sorry but I'm 5'4" and this clock just scares me, you should see me when I'm dusting it. :biggrin:
And since I have all this attention, does anyone know of anybody in Tampa, Fl area that does maintenance on old clocks. How often am I supposed to clean it? Is there anything else that needs to be done to it, to keep it in running condition.
Thank you,
Kathy

K

kathy_1011

Ok, me again, I just had someone help me take this clock down. There is no marks there at all. The only visible one is a NUMBER 1, upside down on the back wall of case where the pendulum hangs. Is it possible that someone has switched the mechanism in it, when it was maintenaced/oiled:???:

Thanks

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Of course it is possible. It is however, improbable. Often there are clues to a switch - pendulum too short; dial doesn't fit perfectly in door; It's so easy to do with these. They are either mounted to a shelf or mounted to a post. Simple matter to place a different movement on the shelf or make another postmount. We certainly don't have enough evidence to support a switch. I just doubt this was a switch. ENJOY your stunning clock! That's what it's all about. Sometimes our dissections and scrutiny can rob us of the joy of ownership. Don't let that happen. Mine is a deaf man's clock. It only ticks. It doesn't gong!

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, Kathy. Did you look behind at the back plate of the movement, or just the back of the clock? The movement will come out without taking the clock off the wall. You will have to take the weights off first, and the pendulum. The movement is likely held in by a couple of thumbscrews. Your clock should be oiled about every 3-5 years and cleaned as needed.
Harold

K

kathy_1011

Hello again,
Harold, yes I did look behind the movement, it's all smooth, nothing there, I took pictures but I'm having posting them. The only thing is "an upside down one (#1)" but on the inside of case itself, where the brecket for pendulum is. Other then that there is a big "47" stamped on back of case, outside, where it touches the wall.
Also, Scottie, thank you for your fast reply, and yes you are right, I love this clock, it has history other then the fact it's just old. It has been in my family for as long as I can remember, it's the only thing I have from my childhood. I used to be so upset as a child cause of all the noise every 15 minutes, now it sounds so good.
Thank you for all your help,

Kathy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam P
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre