Please help identify this Seth Thomas clock!!!

thedebords

Feb 10, 2013
My in-laws have had this clock for over 30 years and were curious if it is really a Seth Thomas Regulator or possibly a replica. There are no serial markings anywhere on the inside of back of the clock and there is also no tags or labels of any sort on the piece. It appears as if some of the embellishments have been added. Any ideas on this? Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Looks very much like an oriental clock, actually. I believe similar ones are still available from Merritt's, for example. What is written on the dial above the hand shaft? I can't quite make it out.

Forgot to add, definitely not ST, nor even a replica of one.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Looks Asian to me, not American, is it a 31 day clock.

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
It's an oriental clock and they are still available new today. It's nothing to do with Seth Thomas and they never made this type clock.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
It might have a Hermle movement (German) in the Asian case. A look behind the dial would be enough to tell the story on this one.

Bogey

Mar 25, 2005
Northeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
The clock is Japanese. There is little information about them. They were made in the early 1900's and again after WWII. Antique Clocks Price guide shows two of them. I read that they were often referred to as "Hotel Regulators."

They were made in three sizes with the largest being 56 inches from top to bottom. I have the large model and have to admit it's actually a nice clock (I'm not partial to Japanese clocks). A friend had picked it up at a yard sale and he discovered he didn't have a place for it. He contacted me to see if I was interested in it just to get it off his hands. I swapped with him and he was really happy to get the big one out of his house.

The clock is an 8 day time and strike and keeps good time. Now I just have to decide what I'm going to do with it. Seems I don't have room for it either... Oh well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Bogey so its not a westminster. Nice looking, but if i had a choice i would likeley pick a Seth. But there are some nice Asian clocks out there.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yep,

Asian, case probably made in the Philippines and the movement Korean. They were made in different sizes. Yours would probably be a medium size. They would stamp anything on the dials, if they thought it would make them sell!

Willie X

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
You will see similar clocks at Merritts, as stated above.
The reason I wonder about the movement is that there is, or perhaps was a company called Westminster Clocks that used German movements in their clocks.
All of these Rococo style clocks I've seen have 31 day Korean movements. Would be interesting to see what's behind the dial on yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Costin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre