Please help identify this magnificent clock

dondidio

Mar 5, 2007
This beauty is one of the finest clocks I've ever had in 30 years of collecting but I'm at a loss as to who made it. Guessing it's French, the figural cast bronze? Case is Very heavy, the movement is signed E.??. The porcelain Dial is signed but I can't begin to guess what it is. Any input is Very welcome. Thanks! IMG_20210712_195146602_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20210712_194806718_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20210712_195108634.jpg

Reactions: Salsagev

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I do not recognize that mark and I cannot find it on Mikrolisk. But you are very right, this is a very fine and beautiful piece. These are very fine and high quality castings which produces an intricate statue. Please enjoy this piece and show it off!

Reactions: dondidio

dondidio

Mar 5, 2007
I do not recognize that mark and I cannot find it on Mikrolisk. But you are very right, this is a very fine and beautiful piece. These are very fine and high quality castings which produces an intricate statue. Please enjoy this piece and show it off!
Thanks! I will indeed be showing it off. In all the 100's of clocks I've had over the years, this is in the top three for sure!

Reactions: Salsagev

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
It looks to be a 19th century French cartel clock, but the theme of the two figures with the stars around the dial is very different from the standard gilded fruit, flowers and cherubs you usually see on these. If I had to guess, I would say it was made for a specific occasion or location where the theme here would be appropriate. As you say, the cating is done very well.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
specific occasion or location where the theme here would be appropriate.
The case is fairly erotic. Any idea what the star decoration resembles or represents?

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The porcelain Dial is signed but I can't begin to guess what it is
It looks like G H Wout. Wout is a Dutch name but of course the person concerned could have been living anywhere. The position of the word leads to the supposition that something else was written to the left. If that were the town, it would be an unusual position, in front of the name. So I am not sure, but that is the best I can come up with at the moment.

the movement is signed E.??.
I also cannot make out the second letter of the stamp, but I feel it is more likely to be that of the finisseur, so perhaps not too important.

Just my initial thoughts - others may have better ideas.

JTD

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Really nice quality case, definitely French. The nature of the figures and as the man is holding a lyre perhaps he's Eros. The movement has what looks to be a very elongated Brocot suspension adjustment. Like JTD I imagine the E? (maybe EJ) is the mark of a finisher.

Names on dials are typically retailers, apparently Wout is Dutch for Walter.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Any idea what the star decoration resembles or represents?
I don't think they have any particular significance, they are just pretty.

Maybe Dionysus (Bacchus)
In view of the grapes and vine leaves, which were popular design features at that time, I would tend to think that the designer's mind went in the Bacchus direction, and the two figures are a couple just enjoying themselves with wine (from the jug the woman is holding) and music (from lute the man has). Perhaps too much wine, since they both seem to be asleep.

Sometimes I wonder if we look too hard for things that might not really be there, but maybe I'm wrong.

JTD

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
It could be Peitho, Goddess of Seduction and Persuasion, and Apollo, God of Art (Music - Harp as shown in the statue.)

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
Your movement has Spring Shoulders and It is my understanding that the patent for Spring Shoulders was 1865, so that may provide you with a "not earlier than" date.

Royce

Reactions: dondidio

David B Pendley

NAWCC Business
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
Your movement has Spring Shoulders and It is my understanding that the patent for Spring Shoulders was 1865, so that may provide you with a "not earlier than" date.

Royce
Royce what are you calling spring shoulders? The spring under the hammer? That's a new term for me. Thanks.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country

Royce
Royce what are you calling spring shoulders? The spring under the hammer? That's a new term for me. Thanks.

I also don't know what this means. Please can you explain ?

JTD

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
Spring Shoulders is a term used in a work by Scotty Dean "Dating French Clocks Using Physical Parts - .........."

"Brocot Suspension = initial patent 1841; widely used starting 1850; 1865 additional patent for spring shoulders
that offers the ‘click’ when adjusting."
Emphasis added.by me.

I personally would have just called it the Clicker.

Royce

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Spring Shoulders is a term used in a work by Scotty Dean "Dating French Clocks Using Physical Parts - .........."

"Brocot Suspension = initial patent 1841; widely used starting 1850; 1865 additional patent for spring shoulders
that offers the ‘click’ when adjusting."
Emphasis added.by me.

I personally would have just called it the Clicker.

Royce
Thanks for explaining - I would never have guessed that was what was meant.

JTD

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Adam and Eve?
Lucy and Ricky?
Fred and Ethel?
George and Gracie?
The mind boggles.:???:

not adam and eve… no apple or serpent.
not lucy and ricky… no bongos
not george and gracie… no cigar

also not marvin and tami, or sonny and cher… maybe hall and oates? milli vanilli?

(sorry… long day)

Reactions: Jmeechie

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Peitho and Apollo.

except that apollo is typically pictured as older and with a beard.

these two look like young party-goers after a long night of fun... he appears to be holding a harp/musical instrument thing, and her pitcher of whatever is spilling out....

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Meredith and Derek. 1626392110353.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Criseldis