• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Please help Identify this confusing clock???

Ballmon

New User
Jul 25, 2021
Country
I am a new member and this is my second clock but first post. thank you in advance for your help identifying this clock and allowing me into your community. My mother recently gave me this clock that was given to her by a former boss. She never wound it just dusted it and enjoyed looking at it, luckily for me it is in great working order, gave it some oil and a windup and been ticking since. I know it is a time only, steeple style clock, it has the appearance of something called a three mountaineers eight day clock. However it doesn't have "eight day" on the face as those appear to have. furthermore to confuse me even more the movement appears to have been replaced. as it is in a can attached to the backside of the face with a sticker from Weldon industries in California with a model number of SW12. the movement itself is stamped or engraved "movement made in USA". please help me understand, identify, and date this clock. My working theory is that it is a three mountaineers that has been refaced with a different movement installed, further evidence to support my theory is that the Masonite back has a second hole added later to adjust the speed as the replacement movement adjuster is located off center from the original. any information on the clock case and movement combination would be greatly appreciated. again thank you.

IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1576.JPG IMG_1577.JPG IMG_1578.JPG IMG_1579.JPG

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
welcome to the board.

I have never heard of a 'three mountaineers eight day clock', but perhaps someone knows more than I do about that.

To me it looks like a modern clock, perhaps from the 1970s. It may have been made from a kit or perhaps marketed by one of the big mail order companies.

I don't see any sign of it not all belonging together, but I am not expert in American clocks, so I am sure someone will know more.

JTD

Tim Orr

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon!

I have a hunch this might not be a replacement movement. Someone may have written the "F–S" on the back of the masonite as a reminder of which way to turn the screw to get the desired result. Also, everything seems to "fit" so well, and there's no obvious sign of modification to make things fit.

What, if anything, is behind the front "door"?

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Ballmon

New User
Jul 25, 2021
Country
Thank you both so much for the input. The reason I believe the movement was replaced, is because when I google "three mountaineers steeple clock" several come up that look identical to it, however mine doesn't have the words "eight day" on the face as those do, and they only have one hole in the back. Plus the back of mine has a partial circle drawn where someone had marked where to drill the second hole, but was off a little and they left the pencil mark. That's why I believe the second hole was drilled the ones I see on google do not show the actual movement but I can see the speed adjuster in the singular hole in the back of those clocks. That is what is so baffling to me. The key is stamped Germany, but the movement is stamped USA? Please keep passing this thread around someone is bound to know and they are bound to be here. I love looking at everyone's beautiful collections and I am very happy to be here.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
it has the appearance of something called a three mountaineers eight day clock.

Welcome to the forum.

Prior to googling "three mountaineers", from what source did you hear of a three mountaineers clock?

Like JTD, I have never heard of a three mountaineers clock. The case style is that of a steeple clock.

The key is stamped Germany, but the movement is stamped USA?
Keys are interchangeable and a US movement and a German key is not indicative of anything.

Regards.

Last edited:

Ballmon

New User
Jul 25, 2021
Country
I had never heard of Three mountaineers either(but I am very new to clocks), I just poured over google images of steeple clocks until I found one that looked like mine, and that is what it was called. Then when I googled it by that name I found quite a few, so I just figured that is what it was. If it isn't that, then the mystery continues, but surely someone here has one like it and can shed some light on it.

Ballmon

New User
Jul 25, 2021
Country
It also looks like a Seth Thomas "Sharon" steeple clock but the face is different and the lower glass is different. just more info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mishellmcgee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-