Please help identify this Australian heirloom.

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by cammers, Mar 25, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cammers

cammers New Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Hi,
    This watch was given to my great grandfather by his grandmother in 1905, but it may not have been new at that time.
    I would be really interested to learn anything about it.
    DSCN3301.JPG

DSCN3312.jpg

DSCN3307.JPG

Please let me know if you would like to see any additional picture.
    Cheers,

2. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm no expert on English watches, but I'll give it a try.
    First off, the only Forester/Forrester that I see in Baillie's "Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World", was in business in London around 1805-1808. However, the watch is most probably later than that. The hallmarks on the case appear to show that it's an 18K gold case. The other marks denote the assay office location (Jaguar - London), the maker, and the year the case was made, which may be 1856 ("a" in shield). Hopefully, one of those more knowledgeable about English watches will be able to shed more light on your heirloom.

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi cammers, and welcome to the Forum,

I think MrRoundel's date of 1856 is the right one, considering the style of everything. The case maker is probably Robert Rowlands at 5 Meredith Street in London. (BTW, the London mark is a Leopard, not a Jaguar . . .). Mr Forrester was in all likelihood the retailer in Sydney, as it's clearly an English 3/4 plate movement of middling quality with a rather nice dial, typical for the period. Forrester would have bought this in from one of the English wholesale houses ready signed for his business, but without dismantling the movement it will not be easy to attribute it to any specific maker, and maybe not even then.

If you want to run it for any length of time, it should be properly cleaned and lubricated, since dried up bearings can be damaged.

Regards,

Graham

4. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    Male
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John Forrester watchmaker in 574 St George Street Sydney in 1847 and 1868 listed in the Sands Sydney Directory
    regards enrico

5. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    That is a high quality engine-turned dial in excellent condition! And unless my eyes are playing tricks on me I think the movement has a diamond endstone? That would be another sign of high quality.

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Martin,

Point taken about the endstone, that dial is very pretty, and the screws are nicely blued, but the balance is a plain one and it's only jewelled up to the fourth, so quite nice but not super.

Regards,

Graham

7. DaveyG

DaveyG Registered User

Mar 21, 2005
    Male
    Retired military aircraft engineer
    North Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    I think that 1856 is very early for a 3/4 plate and for a hairspring stud fixing such as is used; I would be more comfortable with the later hallmarking possibility of 1916 but neither the punch shape nor any of the other evidence supports that view. So, cammers, I believe that you have a pioneering watch in perhaps more ways than one, and as the other guys have said, a decent quality example too.

8. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Davey,

I suppose it could be a re-case, but if so it would be rather unusual to put a newer movement in an older case like this.

Regards,

Graham

9. DaveyG

DaveyG Registered User

Mar 21, 2005
    Male
    Retired military aircraft engineer
    North Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    I don't think it is a re-case Graham, just a very early example of what it is, the earliest that I can recall seeing.

10. cammers

cammers New Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    Here's another picture. It should rule out 1916.
    DSCN3305.jpg

11. cammers

cammers New Member

Mar 25, 2014
  12. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Whoever engraved that inscription did a great job! The way the inscription has been designed around the holes in the cuvette displays a level of empathy with the object which is very rare :D