Roland Ranfft

Feb 10, 2011
Wildenrath, Germany
www.ranfft.de
Country
Region
Hi Krayer,

the movement is an Unitas 6431 or 6445. Which of both actually can't be
seen because the only difference is the barrel.

The movable stud carrier indicates a production after ca. 1960, an the
movement was still in production in the 70s. I fear a more accurate dating
is impossible.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
The Swiss company, Waltham International SA, has the rights to market Waltham watches outside of the U.S. (and perhaps Canada) and it has continued existance. It is recognized as producing quality watches.

However, the company that made your Waltham is the one that owns the rights to the use of the Waltham watch name in the U.S. Their watches aren't as highly regarded.

RON in PA

NAWCC Member
May 18, 2005
S.E. PA
Country
Region
Pocket watches similar to the OP's are still available from dealers on the web. They have identical (pseudo railroad) dials except for the brand name and use the currently available ETA Unitas 6497 movements.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
OP's?

Larry Treiman

Jan 18, 2009
So. Calif.
I think that OP is short for "Original Poster", i.e., the person who started the thread. However, I could be wrong, as with anything pertaining to the internet and computers (OK, other stuff too!). I suppose it could also be a typo for OOPS!

Larry

Krayer

May 29, 2011
Boyd, Texas
Country
Region
I think that OP is short for "Original Poster", i.e., the person who started the thread.
Correct.

Thank you for the information, fellows. Y'all have given me a great starting point.

I was mainly concerned about if it would cost more to have the watch serviced than what's it worth. It has absolutely no sentimental value. I might purchase some tools and do a little tinkering myself given that the watch appears to be fairly common.

Last edited:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
You could easily spend a 100 or more on a service.But if you would like to get into watch repairs, cleaning and oiling start, then this watch would not be so bad to learn on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacey_AEH
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre