• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's lines in the Columbia, PA area. We are working on the immediate issue with Comcast and are also working on a long term plan that will eliminate our reliance on Comcast. Thank you for your patience.

Please help identify object:

Rudi

Dec 1, 2010
Strand
Country
Good day to you all, I have been in the fortunate position to help an elderly gentleman whom is moving to an old age home help pack up his workshop after 56 years. I have been blessed with some really nice old tools and some very interesting clocks and lots of odd bits. Part of the last lot was the item below which i got for free with a 2lt ice-cream tub filled to the brim with all kind of clock-makers gear (most from Thornton's) cutters +/-150 cutters for about, if i have to convert to pounds for 12 pound 50 pence.

Any help would be appreciated or even if there is some other use as for what it was intended for.

Have a good day.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
Looks like a sort of milling machine for shaping long profiles and such - you push the material through between the cutter and the fence in the back that is probably adjustable with the thumb-screw at the back of the machine. Very much like milling machines for wood.

The bearing arrangement is a bit strange it seems: there is probably a cone-bearing at the lower end, a plain bearing in the middle and then an adjustable cone-bearing at the top. The lower bearing could also be plain, with the pulley bearing down onto the bracket.

I would be curious to see how it looks disassembled ...

Reactions: Rudi

Rudi

Dec 1, 2010
Strand
Country
Looks like a sort of milling machine for shaping long profiles and such - you push the material through between the cutter and the fence in the back that is probably adjustable with the thumb-screw at the back of the machine. Very much like milling machines for wood.

The bearing arrangement is a bit strange it seems: there is probably a cone-bearing at the lower end, a plain bearing in the middle and then an adjustable cone-bearing at the top. The lower bearing could also be plain, with the pulley bearing down onto the bracket.

I would be curious to see how it looks disassembled ...
Thank you, i will post more photos when i start cleaning it. Standing on the bench till i have some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ralphallais
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-