Please help identify Kienzle Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by JeroenKol, Dec 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JeroenKol

JeroenKol New Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dear readers,

I am a history student busy studying old artefacts. This Kienzle clock has been in my family for decades, at least before WOII. For my studies I'd like to know more details about this clock, because I know very little. It was probably bought in the Netherlands before WOII. Could anyone help identify this clock? Please ask if there is anything you need to know!

Thanks!

Jeroen

IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0091.JPG

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board! Could you open the back door and take clear pictures of the backside of the movement? Note any stampings that you might see. Might help with identifying the clock. Good luck with your studies!

Kurt

3. JeroenKol

JeroenKol New Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    These are some pictures from the inside of the clock and a stamp on the bottom. I didn't notice any other clear stampings.

IMG_0099.JPG IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0122.JPG

4. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kienzle was -as you may allready know- a verry prolific firm that produced from the middle of the 19th century until they closed their doors in 1996.In the beginning of the 1830ies Kienzle engaged a verry influencial designer Heinrich Möller ,who changed the appearance of Kienzle clocks significantly.The style of Your clock could be called Art Deco with slight echoes of Art Nouveau,a style that disapeared with Möller´s arrival.So my guess would be 1920ies.
    In any case a verry stylish clock,congrats!
    Burkhard

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Hello Jeroen,

Your Kienzle clock is a lovely example of an Art Nouveau style particularly popular in the Netherlands and some other parts of Europe. I would say the clock dates from about 1900-1910.

I am less sure about the movement. I am not entirely sure that this is the original movement. It may be, but there will be others here who can probably identify it better than I.

JTD