Please help I.D. this clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by clc, Oct 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi All.
    The lady selling this clock has no idea who the clock maker is.
    Before I end up driving an hour I hope someone can tell me that it is not Korean and hopefully that it it is an American clock.
    Thanks

Carlos

0997e90c05d34a2590da7b44368ef458 (1).jpg a8f8613772ba40c7b05563073b805749.jpg 059dab8f9ae94edf80dfa747aab969de.jpg

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    It resembles the Ansonia Queen Isabella. That's the good news. The bad news is that the Koreans made some nice looking reproductions, and this may well be one of them. It doesn't look quite right, esp. dial, pendulum, and glass. Hope I'm wrong, but let's see the movement if possible.

3. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Here a pictures of a Korean "Queen Isabella" case and an Ansonia-like movement marked "Nam Young Co, Korea."

Korean QI Case.jpg Korean QI Movement.jpg Korean QI Movement2.jpg

Compare your friend's clock to the Queen Isabella's here:

Keyword Results Antique Clocks Price Guide

4. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, Steven.
    I, unfortunate, don't have access to the movement of the clock in question and would have to drive an hour to see it in person.
    I don't think I'd be able to see much of the movement by peeking at it from the bottom, and be able to see if it's Korean or Ansonia.
    Could you tell if the hands and the pendulum are original to the Ansonia clocks?
    Thanks,

Carlos

5. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    99% certain it is an Oriental made replica clock. In today's market, I am not thinking it to be worth an hour's drive even if the clock is free.

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pendulum doesn't look right compared to the simple wooden rod of the original. The dial seems to be enamel while the original was paper.

Uhralt

7. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I agree.

8. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Korean clock. I have its twin stacked up in a closet; bought from Merritt's or LaRose years ago. The clock ran very well and kept time for several years but started to have a problem with the hands getting several hours ahead with the minute hand showing the correct minute and strike counting the correct hour indicated on the dial. I could reset the hour and it would be fine for a few days and then the same problem would occur especially when the springs were fully wound. . I never heard it striking as the hour hand got ahead. It was as though a ghost, goblin, spirit, sprite, had turned the hours ahead unbeknownst to me. The decorative piece at the top lifts off from between the left and right trim pieces.

9. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thank you all.

Carlos