• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Please help. Antique vienna clock will run then it stops ticking.

junghanvienna

Jul 20, 2014
20140720_004229.jpg 20140720_004216.jpg
Got this clock from my late father. He repaired clocks and
bought/sold many clocks. This was one of two clocks,
so they had to be his favorites.
From my research, this is a Junghan clock
(unless the clock face isn't original. )

A week ago, I wound the clock and I may have
moved the clock and it wasn't level. I got it running for
a couple of days then it quit. Moved it a little more and it
ran for about 4 days? until it stopped due to needing winding.
I wound the clock and it only ran for 10 minutes.

To make a long story short, I can't get it to run at all.
It will tick, then after 10 minutes or so it won't tick.
To save my insanity, I am asking for help. I did notice,
while watching the gear, that the piece that grabs the gear will slip.
Also, the pendulum is not hanging in the middle of the crutch
It hangs all way to the front. I hope this make sense!

I am not in good health and can't work, otherwise I would take it
to the guy that repairs it. Pease let me know if it does need repair
or if it is something I can repair/fix.
Also please let me know if it is a Junghan clock, or if the clock
face isn't original and the year it was made.
Sorry the photos aren't vertical

Thank you so much!

Judy

campbell8319

Jul 13, 2014
laurens,sc
www.campbellsclockrepair.com
Country
Region
The only way to tell if the face/ dial is original to the clock, is to remove the hands and dial and see if the same name is on the movement, as I had an Antique mantel clock to come it for repair the face had seth thomas but the movement was ingraham . Hope this helps.

Here are a few thing to check for:
1. Is it in beat when running?
2. Is it still level?
3. Are the hands touching ?
4. While it is ticking try lean the clock to the left and see if it stops or if the sound has an even tic-toc then lean to the right and check.

If it still stops then it just may need cleaning/ oiling. Let US know.

Chris,

Last edited:

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Also, the pendulum is not hanging in the middle of the crutch
It hangs all way to the front. I hope this make sense!
Check that the back of the case is tight to the wall. Your statement makes me think that possibly the top of the case is leaning out from the wall.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Check the hour hand to make sure it hasn't worked its way out against the back of the minute hand. It should wiggle around freely using your fingernail.

The crutch (you already mentioned) should be completely clear of everything around it, gongs, back plate, seat bracket, etc. The pendulum leader also has to be free in the crutch eye. There should be a little (1/10mm) clearance left/right and plenty of clearance front/back (1mm or more).

These clocks are well made but notorious for the movement slipping around in the mount while winding, or moving. Make sure the mount has not broken or loosened up in some way.

Good luck, Willie X

junghanvienna

Jul 20, 2014
Wow, so many replies! I can see your passion. I have never gotten so many fast reples on a forum before. Thanks for all your help:)

I have watched every you tube video and read all of the information. Still no luck. I have tried everything, using a post it note to mark the middle, right and left sides, tilting the clock, Leveled it with a level, etc.

The clock does not sit against the wall and never has. The bottom of the finial (?) has almost an inch gap from the wall. It was running fine until I had accidentally moved it a tiny bit left winding it. My last effort was to let the pendulum hang directly over the point on the label beneath the pendulum (not sure what it's called) and it still ticks then suddenly no tick then slows to a stop. I have two short videos I can email (they are from my phone and are mp4s and not sure if they can be uploaded here).

I just don't know what to try. I had it going last week but as I said I had to wind it and then it would not run even though it wasn't moved.

Thanks so much!

Judy

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
Will the clock strike the correct hour if you manually move the minute hand to the next hour? If you feel abnormally hard resistance setting the hands, don't force them. I was just thinking, since you said the clock ran down, that maybe the strike has got the time jammed.

Rob P.

Dec 19, 2011
California
Country
Region
It sounds like a beat problem. That is, the clock is not in beat. First thing to do though is to double check that the pendulum is not rubbing on anything up in there where the movement is. If not: Swing the pendulum gently by hand to one side until it JUST ticks. If it doesn't tick within a short distance, then swing it to the other side. Now, notice where the point the pendulum is in relation to where the pendulum is when it's hanging straight down. Now, swing it gently to the other side until it JUST tocks. See where that point is in relation to hanging straight down. If the 2 points are not the same distance from straight down, the clock is not in beat. You can cheat and tilt the clock until the 2 points are equal from the center. Or you can adjust the crutch. In either case, the clock should have an evenly spaced tick...tock...tick...tock. If the clock goes ...tick.tock.....tick.tock.... then it's still out of beat. If it still won't run, then you need a service call. Either a simple adjustment, fixing the leaning problem to stop any interference, or a full clean & oil will depend on what's actually going on in there.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hope you did not move the clock around with the pendulum on.

junghanvienna

Jul 20, 2014
I am trying your suggestion. Put the pendulum between the distance. Nothing is rubbing, I have taken a flashlight and checked. When I wound the clock, my arm went numb and the clock moved on the wall, so yes it moved while the pendulum wss on. (the health issue..when I reach up to wind it, my arm goes numb and I almost pass out-getting that checked tomorrow).

So far the clock has gone for 20 minutes, cross your fingers!
I know never to move a clock with the pendulum moving, I always tape it down-I do listen to my father lol. So, knowing that it moved with the pendulum
on when I slipped, what then is the procedure?

So frustrating, had it going all last week until it stopped due to it needing winding. I am definitely German, stubborn an won't stop til I fix it!

Did anyone have a guess to its age? I thought 1800's.
Again, thanks for all of your quick replies. o:)

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Not sure of age, you may be right.
I meant did you carry the clock around with the pendulum on it.
Maybe it,s just in real need of service.

junghanvienna

Jul 20, 2014
Holy crap, I think I have it. Has been running for an hour now. Rob's suggestion finally got through to my brain. All of your other suggestions were great also, it's just that his got to my brain. Going to mark the wall lol

Thanks again, this forum is the greatest with so many helpful people.

Judy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phonojim
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-