Please confirm the decade

SEHDavies

Jun 26, 2020
Country
Hello all.
I have inherited a clock which I have had serviced to get it working again. It was a wedding present to either my parents (married in 1950s) or grandparents (1930s).
From other posts here I have seen, it could be either decade, pictures as follows:-

clock1.png Clock2.png clock3.png clock4.png

The chime is neither bim bam nor westminster, only a single note.
If there is any missing information you need, please let me know.
Any help in getting a date on this would be appreciated.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

Your clock dates to the 1930's, so it makes sense that it was a wedding gift to your grandparents. Indeed, the case is typical of the Art Deco style which was predominant at the time, with clean, geometric lines and the use of chrome against wood as is the case with the bezel, dial and hands. Enjoy your family heirloom.

Regards.

SEHDavies

Jun 26, 2020
Country
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Supplemental question, apart from just not winding the chime, would there be any way to turn it off? We also have a modern AMS clock with a lever to surpress the chime but I can't see anything similar in this one.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

As far as I am aware, there is no "strike-silent" lever on two-train mantle clocks such as these, so the best option would be not to wind the strike side as you say. It certainly isn't a good idea to use anything to prevent the hammer from operating, which one might be tempte to do, as that can put the striking out of synch.

Regards.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Some of these clocks do not last long if the strike train isn't wound, the rack will drop after each hour and eventually get stuck around the 12:35 mark, preventing the clock from running. There was no formal way to stop the strike train as the singular half hour strike gong was not found to warrant silencing in the old days. I'd just leave the strike on and get used to it.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Is there any reason why the hammer head screw couldn’t be loosened and the hammer head repositioned so it did not reach the gong? Or why the gong coil couldnt be lowered so the hammer cannot reach it? The strike train could continue to be wound, and the hammer would continue to function, just no gong sound.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Another possibility is to prevent the rack from falling by tying it up with a wire or a rubber band.

Uhralt

SEHDavies

Jun 26, 2020
Country
Is there any reason why the hammer head screw couldn’t be loosened and the hammer head repositioned so it did not reach the gong? Or why the gong coil couldnt be lowered so the hammer cannot reach it? The strike train could continue to be wound, and the hammer would continue to function, just no gong sound.
Thanks for this - I'll have a look.

Thanks to all who have replied. This seems like a nice community

Jessk09

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2020
Country
Welcome to the forum, On clocks it use to be that you couldn’t silence them from the outside (dial,side ect.) like a modern hermle or Howard Miller longcase.
Have fun with your family heirloom.

Micam100

NAWCC Member
Nov 11, 2019
Country
Region
Hello SEH, In your last photo there is a number obscured by the gong...12 ?? It could be a date stamp so 12 (Dec) 30 (1930) for example. Might narrow down the manufacture date.
Michael

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hello SEH, In your last photo there is a number obscured by the gong...12 ?? It could be a date stamp so 12 (Dec) 30 (1930) for example. Might narrow down the manufacture date.
Michael
The trademark of the op's clock is that of Thomas Ernst Haller. TEH was acquired by Kienzle in 1928, I believe.

The other Haller firm, Thomas Haller, was acquired by Junghans around 1900 or so.

Junghans was noted for date coding their clocks, but neither Kienzle nor TEH was known to date code clocks.

The op's clock was manufactured for export to the UK after 1926, as evidenced by the "foreign" on the movement.

Regards.

SEHDavies

Jun 26, 2020
Country
Thanks for the info on checking the date stamp - I'll have a look.

A general question, it isn't keeping good time. What's the best way of getting it accurate? Adjust the pendulum via the screw to 190 BPM or just trial and error. Assuming that it is on a flat surface.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
You don't say if it is running fast or slow, nor how much. But you regulate it by raising or lowering the pendulum bob, using the knurled nut at the bottom. If you raise the bob (turning the nut clockwise) the clock will run faster, if you lower it, it will run slower.

JTD

SEHDavies

Jun 26, 2020
Country
You don't say if it is running fast or slow, nor how much. But you regulate it by raising or lowering the pendulum bob, using the knurled nut at the bottom. If you raise the bob (turning the nut clockwise) the clock will run faster, if you lower it, it will run slower.

JTD
It's running around 10 mins a day slow, which is why I was asking about the BPM. I thought that it could get me somewhere close quite quickly

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Well, I would think it easier to raise the bob by turning the nut.

However, one thing that worries me - the bob looks pretty high already. If you have just had it serviced it ought not to be loosing 10 minutes a day. Before you do anything much, I would ask the person who serviced it to time it in for you. You paid for the service - it should be running properly.

JTD

Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
Hertfordshire England
Country
Region
Going back to silencing it
Is the gong fixed to the bottom of the clock case by a nut underneath?
It might be worth undoing it and moving the gong away from the pendulum so the hammer does not hit it

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The trademark of the op's clock is that of Thomas Ernst Haller. TEH was acquired by Kienzle in 1928, I believe.

The other Haller firm, Thomas Haller, was acquired by Junghans around 1900 or so.

Junghans was noted for date coding their clocks, but neither Kienzle nor TEH was known to date code clocks.

The op's clock was manufactured for export to the UK after 1926, as evidenced by the "foreign" on the movement.

Regards.
After Kienzle overtook TEH in 1928-1929, the 'Haller' brand was used so excessively by Kienzle for the British market during the 1930's. Less Germanic sounding to British consumers who were reluctant to buy anything German during that time period. Cases were made in Britain by anonymous case making factories who have since been lost to the sands of time. The best way I'd describe the British cases would be greater aesthetic variety but some of these cases were not as structurally sound compared to their German-made counterparts.

Ironically Haller is a very common German surname.

You can try moving the gong pedestal out of the hammer's way but on these British cases there's only so much room for deviation from factory profile.

SEHDavies

Jun 26, 2020
Country
Going back to silencing it
Is the gong fixed to the bottom of the clock case by a nut underneath?
It might be worth undoing it and moving the gong away from the pendulum so the hammer does not hit it
Just had a look and you're right. This is an option

SEHDavies

Jun 26, 2020
Country
Posted in error - sorry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmvalente
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions