Please confirm the decade

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by SEHDavies, Jun 27, 2020 at 7:47 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SEHDavies

SEHDavies New Member

Jun 26, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Hello all.
    I have inherited a clock which I have had serviced to get it working again. It was a wedding present to either my parents (married in 1950s) or grandparents (1930s).
    From other posts here I have seen, it could be either decade, pictures as follows:-

clock1.png Clock2.png clock3.png clock4.png

The chime is neither bim bam nor westminster, only a single note.
    If there is any missing information you need, please let me know.
    Any help in getting a date on this would be appreciated.

2. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi,

Your clock dates to the 1930's, so it makes sense that it was a wedding gift to your grandparents. Indeed, the case is typical of the Art Deco style which was predominant at the time, with clean, geometric lines and the use of chrome against wood as is the case with the bezel, dial and hands. Enjoy your family heirloom.

Regards.

3. SEHDavies

SEHDavies New Member

Jun 26, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

Supplemental question, apart from just not winding the chime, would there be any way to turn it off? We also have a modern AMS clock with a lever to surpress the chime but I can't see anything similar in this one.

4. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi,

As far as I am aware, there is no "strike-silent" lever on two-train mantle clocks such as these, so the best option would be not to wind the strike side as you say. It certainly isn't a good idea to use anything to prevent the hammer from operating, which one might be tempte to do, as that can put the striking out of synch.

Regards.

5. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some of these clocks do not last long if the strike train isn't wound, the rack will drop after each hour and eventually get stuck around the 12:35 mark, preventing the clock from running. There was no formal way to stop the strike train as the singular half hour strike gong was not found to warrant silencing in the old days. I'd just leave the strike on and get used to it.

6. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is there any reason why the hammer head screw couldn’t be loosened and the hammer head repositioned so it did not reach the gong? Or why the gong coil couldnt be lowered so the hammer cannot reach it? The strike train could continue to be wound, and the hammer would continue to function, just no gong sound.

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another possibility is to prevent the rack from falling by tying it up with a wire or a rubber band.

Uhralt

8. SEHDavies

SEHDavies New Member

Jun 26, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for this - I'll have a look.

Thanks to all who have replied. This seems like a nice community

9. Jessk09

Jessk09 Registered User

Feb 27, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the forum, On clocks it use to be that you couldn’t silence them from the outside (dial,side ect.) like a modern hermle or Howard Miller longcase.
    Have fun with your family heirloom.

10. Micam100

Micam100 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello SEH, In your last photo there is a number obscured by the gong...12 ?? It could be a date stamp so 12 (Dec) 30 (1930) for example. Might narrow down the manufacture date.
    Michael

11. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The trademark of the op's clock is that of Thomas Ernst Haller. TEH was acquired by Kienzle in 1928, I believe.

The other Haller firm, Thomas Haller, was acquired by Junghans around 1900 or so.

Junghans was noted for date coding their clocks, but neither Kienzle nor TEH was known to date code clocks.

The op's clock was manufactured for export to the UK after 1926, as evidenced by the "foreign" on the movement.

Regards.