Plato Clock

szl

May 6, 2014
Hello-My latest acquisition is a rectangular Plato Clock-likely Ansonia. The movement does run. However, the leaves do not change. Anyone out there-expert in the repair of these clocks? Guidance to get this clock to keep time will be much appreciated.
-steve, chapt. 31

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm not following what you mean, Steve. Could you explain "the leaves do not change" for us?

szl

May 6, 2014
Hello-The time does not change. The number do not move. The movement is running--it is ticking. Thanks. -steve

JDToumanian

NAWCC Member
Apr 28, 2008
Phelan, CA
Country
Region
If the celluloid number flags are correctly flipping from one side to the other when turning the set knob in the correct direction, releasing from one keeper and staying behind the other, yet they do not move when the clock is running, then it can only mean that there is no power getting to the arbor that carries all the flags. That can only happen in a couple of ways... Something is slipping, like a clutch tension spring or a gear is loose, or a part is missing... Maybe a pin that should be connecting the movement to the flag arbor, or a set screw.

Jon

szl

May 6, 2014
Jon...Appreciate the insight. However, you are communicating with a less seasoned clock hand than yourself. That said, can you guide me to pinpoint the cause? How do I separate movement from the flag arbor to troubleshoot the reason for no power?
Thanks again....steve

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Ahhh! Now I get it :) There are good pictures of the movement in that PDF file, and the connection point between the movement and the upper part is shown pretty clearly. That is were you'll have to look for the solution to your problem. The upper part should be handled pretty carefully so the leaves don't come unhooked, or you will have fun getting it back together. You might want to let a pro look at it for you.

szl

May 6, 2014
Thanks gentlemen. I will proceed with great caution. Wish there was a little more explanation to go along with the photographs in that pdf file; although quite helpful. All the pros I know are not interested in working on this clock.
--steve

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Thanks gentlemen. I will proceed with great caution. Wish there was a little more explanation to go along with the photographs in that pdf file; although quite helpful. All the pros I know are not interested in working on this clock.
--steve
I actually have one sitting on my bench waiting for me to get to it. It's mine, so I'm not in a hurry :)

szl

May 6, 2014
Shutterbug--When you finally get to it...perhaps then you can share some specifics which will help me revive the one on my bench. Thanx. --steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mark21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller