Plato clock repair

rockchic

Nov 7, 2016
Country
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help....

i have a plato clock that needs reassembling...it's in a number of pieces...the actual movement seems to be fine and I have all the bits but don't know how to fix.

Does anyone know where I can find any info on reassembling? I've searched the internet but haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks ever so

:exhausted:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
This might help.

darrahg

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 22, 2006
Houston
Country
Region
There is an article I wrote for the Chapter 15 August 2015 newsletter on Plato clocks in which I described how to remove the movement. Assembling the clock can be accomplished by reversing the directions. It is brief but should give a fairly good idea on what needs to be done. Below is a link to that newsletter on the Chap 15 web site. Hope this helps. DA

http://www.nawcc-ch15.org/media/newsletters/2015-08 August Newsletter.pdf

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
Wow that's a crazy clock. Very interesting

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I'd never heard of the Plato clock before this, but an electrified variant was common in 1970's digital clock radios. They'd run forever, but the plastic leaves would ultimately break at the pivots, and I never found a reasonable way to repair them. I think I'd use a straight pin and some epoxy glue, but I was never happy with the result.

Mark Kinsler

rockchic

Nov 7, 2016
Country
Hi

Thank you so much for your help...

I've had a go and am getting there....at the moment am stuck..

I can't work out how to fit the piece of metal which goes in between the two disks and works with the controller tabs.

Another issue is the fact that the top disc is stuck and turns with the main post...I'm presuming that it shouldn't but would like confirmation of that before I have a go at getting it loose?

And...this is probably obvious and maybe when I've finished I'll work it out but once the clock is together how do you change / correct the time without taking it apart again?

i am really enjoying messing with this and would like to learn some more....can anyone recommend a book...preferably with the plato clock in it...that would give me a basic grounding?

Sorry to ask so many questions...my first time....

Thanks again

rockchic

Nov 7, 2016
Country
Hi Darrah

been having a look at your presentation...I notice on the page showing the clock patented the 7th July there is a patent no on the top left...the number is obscured...I would love to have a look at the original patent...do you have the full number

thanks ever so

Rach

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Could you post a pic of what you have? Use the white camera icon in the reply box.

darrahg

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 22, 2006
Houston
Country
Region
The patent number is 733180.
I have a pdf of the patent article but can't attach it. Send me a PM if you cannot find the article.

Hi Darrah

been having a look at your presentation...I notice on the page showing the clock patented the 7th July there is a patent no on the top left...the number is obscured...I would love to have a look at the original patent...do you have the full number

thanks ever so

Rach

darrahg

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 22, 2006
Houston
Country
Region
Hi

Thank you so much for your help...

I've had a go and am getting there....at the moment am stuck..

I can't work out how to fit the piece of metal which goes in between the two disks and works with the controller tabs.
I don't understand this question.

Another issue is the fact that the top disc is stuck and turns with the main post...I'm presuming that it shouldn't but would like confirmation of that before I have a go at getting it loose? Remove the top gear and pull the upper plate. The disks should come off of the central shaft.

And...this is probably obvious and maybe when I've finished I'll work it out but once the clock is together how do you change / correct the time without taking it apart again?
The centrally located knob on the bottom will rotate the carousel clockwise. Do that until it shows the correct time.

i am really enjoying messing with this and would like to learn some more....can anyone recommend a book...preferably with the plato clock in it...that would give me a basic grounding? There is very little info out on these clocks. They were novelties and lasted only a couple years so not much attention was given to them.

Sorry to ask so many questions...my first time....
I hope I came close to answering your questions. If not restate them as I might not have understood. Darrah

Thanks again

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The patent number is 733180.
I have a pdf of the patent article but can't attach it. Send me a PM if you cannot find the article.

You can attach a PDF file by clicking on "go advanced" in the reply menu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HamiltonFan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre