Platform escapement repair

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by dad1891, Oct 15, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dad1891

dad1891 Registered User

Feb 28, 2014
    Male
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Can you guys recommend a good book on platform escapement repair and service?

2. hookster

hookster Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Pharmaceutical Consultant
    Pottageville Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Go to this link on David Labounty's web site. Personally, I always farm this repair out as it is fiddly and I really don't encounter the need to repair them very often. In fact, David did a Junghans floating balance repair for me (I realize is different from a platform escapement) a year or so ago, and he did a great job. http://www.abouttime-clockmaking.com/downloads/Servicing%20a%20Platform.pdf

3. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave, you are getting into watch repair with platform escapements. Look for a watch repair book.

4. emhitch

emhitch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2009
    medical device design engineer
    pittsburgh, pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I highly recommend David LaBounty's DVD entitled "Servicing a Platform" ($30 USD); I have this DVD and refer to it often. I also have Donald de Carle's guide entitled "Practical Watch Repairing" (Amazon for $12.34 USD). Both references are outstanding and I guess it would depend upon how you best learn, by reading or by watching a demonstration. I fully concur with Hookster; these escapements are "fiddly" with many small parts very susceptible to damage and loss. I now can at least do some basic repairs and servicing after several years, but you will need to decide for yourself when to farm these repairs out to folks who have the required expertise. Good luck with it!

5. dad1891

dad1891 Registered User

Feb 28, 2014
    Male
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, emhitch and Hookster. David LaBounty's tutorial is good, but it isn't quite as detailed as I would prefer. I checked out David LaBounty's website and you have to look very hard to find that his DVD's are not listed and are not available online, but they are available if you call him. I'm going to try de Carle's book and see how comfortable I am.

The carriage clock that I am considering a rebuild on is a family heirloom with quite a story, so I think that I will scour ebay for a low cost clock and see how that goes.