Plate thickness question

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by bikerclockguy, Aug 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bikerclockguy

bikerclockguy Registered User

Jul 22, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I'm putting together a parts order for TimeSavers, and one of the items I would like to include is bushings. I have a Sessions clock arriving next Thursday(for those of you who have been following my posts, it's the square one in the tool and equipment question thread), and would like to include my plate bushings on this order so I can start on the clock next weekend. The clock is in the mail, so I have no way to mic the plate, but I was wondering If I would be safe to mic the plate on a Sessions bim-bam movement, circa 1927. It's a slightly more modern movement, but I know many manufacturers of other commodities found a standard(such as plate thickness)that worked well, and stuck with it for years. Is this generally true for clock makers or would I be taking a shot in the dark? I know I could go a little tall and grind them down, but I'd rather not.

2. bikerclockguy

bikerclockguy Registered User

Jul 22, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I think I've answered my own question. I measured both my Sessions and Ansonia(which is probably 30-40 years older, and both have 5/64 plates.

3. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Retired General Dentist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most American Mantel Clocks from that era I've run across have 1.4 mm thick (or close to that) plates. As you've said, you can always go a little tall and cut them down. That's not a bad approach if you do it with an appropriately sized drill bit, you're left with an oil sink that matches the plate exactly. It can be very difficult to see that the plate has been re-bushed from the outer surface.

I've seen plates where a previous repair didn't have bushings of sufficient height, and it looks bad while also providing less bearing surface for the pivot. I've also seen plates where the repair "ground" the bushing down to match the thickness of the plate while leaving filing/grinding marks on the plate. Neither result is ideal to my mind.

So, the short answer: 1.4mm height bushings are probably going to be what you need this time.

4. David S

David S Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since you don't have fancy tools yet, a bulls foot file makes a useful hand tool to trim the bushing done without leaving ugly scratch marks on the plate.

David

5. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Retired General Dentist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Time After Time, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    That reminds me, my KWM reamer kit came with a counter-sink/deburring tool which can be used to reduce the height of a bushing, Its cut is not as smooth as a drill bit though. I'm not familiar with a bulls foot file, but David knows his stuff so I'm sure it would do a fine job for you.

I would recommend that you look at ordering your bushings from Butterworth. His prices are usually very competitive, the quality good and shipping very reasonable.

http://butterworthclocks.com/Bushings_Price_List.pdf

You might want to go with him when it's time to refill one of your sizes though. I don't think he has starter kits.

www.butterworthclocks.com (user name and password "butterworth")

6. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    You also have the option of using TimeSavers http://timesavers.com/ and their bushings http://timesavers.com/search.html?q=bushings+&go=Search
    [​IMG]
    This is also helpful it's a pivot gauge. Will allow you to see the different sizes for plate thickness and pivot sizes. A little pricey but it takes the guessing work out.
    Plus this will help with countersinking. A little pricey But the set I have I have had for over 20 years
    http://timesavers.com/search.html?q=countersink+set+&go=Search
    Hope this helps

7. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For American Mantle clocks I use bushings that are:

2.00 mm height
    2.50 mm diameter
    And as small a bore as I can get (my current pkg says "blank" on it for the bore but the bushings are drilled The part # from Timesavers on the pkg is BB-314)

I get the tiny bore bushings so that I can ream them to fit the pivots after the pivots are polished and cleaned up. Sometimes doing that means that bushings with pre-sized bores are too large and don't fit the pivot size very well.

At 2.0mm high, I don't have to trim them at all, they fit flush with the plates on both sides.

8. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 4, 2009
    #8 MARK A. BUTTERWORTH, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
    Thanks. If I could add a couple of things. We do make up starter kits custom at no extra charge and do it according to what the person wishes to spend. So if a person want to spend $20 for a kit with bushings 1.5 mm height, we will make the best assortment possible for that price. In addition we now have free domestic shipping on all parts orders with $15 min. For those not wishing to spend the money for a pivot gauge, a digital caliper is a very handy tool to measure both pivot diameter and plate thickness. Finally, we have an improved version of both the KWM and Bergeon bushing charts which I think makes much more sense than commonly seen and am happy to send a PDF no charge to anyone interested. Kindly email butterworth@butterworthclocks.com