Places of Interest in CT?

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
I had no idea where to ask this question, so I'm just dropping it here. I'll be traveling through the northeast US in a month or so. I'm looking for places of interest in MA, CT, and the broader area (not NYC!). I've visited the American Clock and Watch Museum in Bristol several times, as well as the NAWCC Museum. I've also visited Merritt's Antiques. I'm looking for other clock "attractions" while making my way through New England and back to SC. I'd love to see someone's clock shop! Any suggestions? Thanks!

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Here are a few thoughts. I'm sure there are many more that I'm not aware of, or just am not recalling. The area has so much to offer in the way of horological adventures, as well as general American history, not to mention some wonderful antique shops and events. Hopefully others will chime in with specifics.
  • Willard House & Clock Museum - Grafton MA Willard House & Clock Museum
  • Old Sturbridge Village Home - Old Sturbridge Village (I haven't visited yet, but plan to next time we make it to that area.)
  • There are a couple of other museums in Bristol. Although not clock related, we enjoyed this combination Carousel and Fire History museum The Carousel Museum Home
  • I've heard that the Lock museum in Terryville, CT is interesting. HOME | Lock Museum of America | Terryville, Connecticut
  • If you're in PA, and it's been awhile since you were there, a return trip to the NAWCC museum could be fun. I believe there is a new Public Time gallery with many tower and street clocks on exhibit in the area where you first walk in to the Museum (where there was previously an exhibit with a Stonehenge-like structure, discussion of water clocks, etc.), and I think there is a new exhibit of very nice early American clocks in the gallery to the right. You would always give them a call to see what's new. Visit - National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors, Inc.
  • I can't recall what the special exhibit is at the American Clock & Watch Museum at Bristol, but again, you could call if you're interested.
Just driving through that area is amazing - every town seems to be the name of a watch or clock company. Have fun!!
Pat

Reactions: Keith Doster

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Let us know where you end up going, so we can add places to our bucket lists. Have fun!

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Mystic Seaport, could be added to the list. The John Brown house in Providence.

Ralph

Joe Gargery

Feb 2, 2022
Country
If you're into a bit of nostalgia, you could drop by the former New Haven Clock Company Factory in New Haven, CT. still standing after 156 years and soon to be converted to a mixed use complex:
Nice to see old factories like this one saved and repurposed.
Cheers, Joe

new haven.jpg

Reactions: PatH

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I forgot about Waltham MA. We haven't been to the Charles River Museum in Waltham, but it looks interesting. Charles River Museum.
Here's a virtual mini-tour of their Waltham Watch collection. Virtual Mini Tour: The Waltham Watch Collection — Charles River Museum

Their website is interesting, with essays, videos, etc. about innovation and industries in Waltham. In addition to watches, Waltham Mfg was the creator of the Orient bicycles. Definitely on my list now.

Reactions: Vernon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby2
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-