• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Pivot file

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
Why are pivot files handed, is it to do with the pivot /arbor shoulder. I found one amongst some taps I brought that is marked left hand, I believe I use this on my left hand side held under the pivot.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi binman,

left-hand burnisher.jpg right-hand burnisher.jpg

The one on the left is a "left-hand" pivot burnisher, and you can guess what the right-hand one is! So if used under the pivot rather than over it, you can see why they're named that way. Does yours have one edge rounded?

Regards,

Graham

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
Region
A good pivot file has a smooth, slightly angled edge that when placed against the pivot shoulder of the arbor does not act against the thrust surface of the shoulder when properly handled. The opposite edge is a right angle and when bearing against the arbor shoulder would tend to turn-up or roll-up a rough edge on the thrust surface of the arbor.

Pivot files are useful only on soft, mild unhardened steel arbor pivots such as found on inexpensively produced timepieces or on some older cottage-craft antique movements.

It is not unusual that some mass produced clocks have steel arbors which were case-hardened or metal coated so as to produce a thin but hard, wear-resistant microscopic surface. Such arbor pivots, when subjected to accumulated grit, eventually loose the outer coating or hard surface due to abrasion and the exposed softer or milder steel beneath is easily reshaped using a pivot file and or burnishing.

Last edited:

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I have moved this to the Horological Tools forum, where it might get better exposure and where it properly belongs.

Last edited by a moderator:

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
Hi Graham, what I have I think is a pivot file but the sides are square. It is smooth one end and slightly rough the other. The case is a round stainless steel case, it serves as a handle, there are two half round pieces of wood that slide into the case to hold it still, on the case are the words Gauche. On the file one side is a Fish with the word Suisse on the other are three words G.antgihe,glaroon,and vallorre. Don't no what they mean it's 178mmx 6.55 x 3.20mm

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi binman,

I think your file is marked "G.ANTOINE" "GLARDON" "VALLORBE", (the maker's name and location in Switzerland), and on the other side a "G" for Gauche, (left) with the fish trademark and "SUISSE" , which is exactly what one of mine has. If you look at it end-on, you'll see that the section is a parallelogram rather than a rectangle, and is used under the pivot when it's pointing to your left, or over it when it's pointing right, as it normally would be with the headstock on your left.

Regards,

Graham

Max Phillips

Sep 12, 2011
Barrington, NH
joyofprecision.tumblr.com
Country
Region
It was mentioned earlier that pivot files are only used on soft steel but I wanted to clarify that this isn't really true. A pivot file will work great even on pivots made of properly spring tempered steel. I rarely use mine on soft steel, as it's typically hardened and tempered steel that I'm turning pivots from.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It is specifically for "over" or "under" pivot polishing/burnishing. I find the under method most helpful for watching what's happening to the pivot surface.

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
Thank you all for explaining everything for me, the other question I have is if using a lathe what is the best speed to use I assume about 300rpm.

Max Phillips

Sep 12, 2011
Barrington, NH
Country
Region
Thank you all for explaining everything for me, the other question I have is if using a lathe what is the best speed to use I assume about 300rpm.
It would all depend on the diameter of the part you're working on. The appropriate RPM would be calculated based on a desired surface speed and the diameter of the part. 300 is way to slow for anything most people would use a pivot file on (however I use my pivot file for lots of things that most people would not).

This page has some good info that might be useful to you - they recommend 4 to 5 times the speed you'd use for "rough turning", with ferrous metals: http://www.smithy.com/machining-handbook/chapter-3/page/32

You can tell when the speed is too high, the file will no longer feel like it is cutting.

Max Phillips

Sep 12, 2011
Barrington, NH
Country
Region

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IndyF1
Encyclopedia Pages