Pivot Drills vs Twist Drills

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Dave D, Feb 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Is there any difference in them? I understand that they look different, but is there any advantage/disadvantage of one over the other? I need to make a part with a hole that is .018". Is there a reason I might choose a pivot drill or a twist drill? Or, the other way around? I have both.
    Dave D

2. wefalck

wefalck Registered User

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Paris
    Country Flag:
    I gather it depends on the material and the depth of the hole.

This diameter (0.018" = 0.45 mm) should not be a particular challenge. Deep(er) holes will require more frequent clearing with a pivot-drill, as it doesn't have the helix. Pivot-drill might be better than twist-drills in soft brass, where the latter might dig-in and break. Pivot-drill are a bit stiffer than twist-drills that are typically longer and have a thinner 'core'.

3. praezis

praezis Registered User

Feb 11, 2008
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Main advantage of pivot drills: they are easily resharpened. Not at all easy with helical drills.
    Frank

4. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User
    Sponsor

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A pivot drill will give you greater accuracy to desired diameter than a helix drill of that size, and are less likely to go off course. As said a pivot drill bit is stiffer, a helix drill can leave the hole slighter larger in diameter at the entry end.
    Pivot drills will require more cleaning of swarf as you go, and they need like a good starting centre dot/hole.
    A hole of the size you need, just personally speaking, I use a pivot drill, with a drop of cutting fluid.

5. Dave D

Dave D Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Thank you guys for confirming what I suspected. I managed to drill the holes without a problem.
    Dave