Pivot cleaning tip.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Altashot, Jan 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Altashot

Altashot Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have found that even after a bath in my ultrasonic, some pivots still sometimes have gunk on them. I use an eraser to clean them. Jab the pivot in it, spin it back and forth a few times then stab it in rodico to remove all eraser debris.
    It works beautifully. 56D59544-BA67-4C45-B511-FDB859FF2231.jpeg

M.

disciple_dan and POWERSTROKE like this.
  2. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    An interesting idea and bet it works. What kind of eraser do you use? I only ask because the last 3 movements I worked on were French with tiny pivots, I wouldn't want to put too much pressure on them for fear of bending. As an aside, I think I'll work on some sturdy American-made movements next for a break. The French ones are fun and satisfying to get going but they sure are exacting.
    Don

3. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The first thing I thought of was those little French pivots… which break if you even breathe on them.

If I’m not going to pop gears in the lathe and polish that way, I will carefully clean the pivots off with alcohol and then roll them by hand in 2000 and then 4000 grit sandpaper... a tip i got from a bulletin article by one of the wise elders... not the only (or necessarily best?) method, but i’ve had great success with it.

4. Hans_

Hans_ Registered User

Jul 3, 2012
    Male
    Clockmaker
    New Delhi
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the tip Altashot. I used to do that when I started over 20 years ago, but gave it up because I didn't know rodico at the time . And as you mentioned, it Does require a jab into rodico for the afterclean.
    Nice tip.

Hans

5. Altashot

Altashot Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I use this type of eraser
    03100D93-3FF9-4F46-A8F1-7C013F004F12.jpeg
    Unlike those found at the end of pencil or pens or those 2 coloured ones, these Mars Plastic don’t seem to contain any abrasives. They remain somewhat soft and rubbery rather than being crumbly.
    I’ve used it on French pivots, with great care, successfully. This trick is not for pivots that can be cleaned with Rodico alone. It’s for those that have a heavy crusty almost baked on crud.

I prefer not using any abrasives to clean pivots.

M.

6. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    You can use pith-wood very similar to balsa wood. Less chance of breaking off smaller pivots. I would never use an eraser, it is to dense. Not soft enough for my taste.
    Pithwood 10-Piece Assortment

7. John MacArthur

John MacArthur Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    I sure wish they would start carrying the old, firmer pithwood again. It was much better.
    Johnny

8. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Johnny,

I agree, the stuff now on offer is rubbish, but I've just bought some Bergeon 7018, sold as 'Absorbing Foam Block, Pith Alternative'. I haven't used it enough yet to comment on its qualities, but it's certainly pretty firm.

Regards,

Graham

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have used Cratex and it works well, it is some abrasive so go easy on the pivots.

10. John MacArthur

John MacArthur Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Hi Graham - Thank you for that link. Please let us know after you have used it a few times if it seems to be a good replacement for the original pithwood.
    Johnny

11. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Johnny,

Yes, I'll certainly pass on my experiences with this material.

Regards,

Graham