pivot alignment

tracker

Aug 15, 2007
Country
Region
anyone care to share secrets on easy ways to align pivots when installing the top plate on full plate watches? Thanks.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
The first issue to deal with is the pallet fork. For this, you either assemble the movement upside down or you affix the pallet fork to the top plate with a bit of rodico or a clip. From there, it's pretty much like any other movement. Just a bit harder because you are dealing with all the pivots at once. If you are having trouble with a particular aspect of assembly, let us know what that is and maybe we can help further.

tracker

Aug 15, 2007
Country
Region
The first issue to deal with is the pallet fork. For this, you either assemble the movement upside down or you affix the pallet fork to the top plate with a bit of rodico or a clip. From there, it's pretty much like any other movement. Just a bit harder because you are dealing with all the pivots at once. If you are having trouble with a particular aspect of assembly, let us know what that is and maybe we can help further.
Thanks Dave the pallet fork is what is giving me problems I broke off the pivot. I never thought of asssembling the movement upside down i’ll Try that after l get a new pallet fork.
How do you remove the rodico when finished?

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
As far as the Rodico, you probably just grab it from the outside edge with tweezers. I always use a small strip of Scotch tape to hold the pallet-fork in place. I then do as I said with the Rodico, and grab it with some tweezers. This practice is frowned upon a bit, but does work, and I don't see that it leaves any sticky residue behind.

BTW: There are a lot of parts movements out there that have become that way due to broken pallet-fork pivots. It's a common problem with full-plate movements when one doesn't have much experience with them yet. Good luck.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
I put the small ball of Rodico out as close to the end of the fork as possible so it can be grabbed with tweezers when the movement is together.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Tracker,

anyone care to share secrets on easy ways to align pivots when installing the top plate on full plate watches?
Upside down is definitely safer with full plate lever movements because of the lever's position, and another useful trick is to hold the plates with rubber bands, not too tightly. This happens to be a verge repeater with a lot more pivots to align, but the principle is the same.

DSCF4485.JPG

If you do it upside down like this you shouldn't need any clips or Rodico, and the same principle applies when you're dismantling as well.

Regards,

Graham

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I also do it upside down.
This way you get the barrel arbor, center wheel arbor and 4:th wheel arbor for free so to say since they are longer and easy to fit. The lever is just like any other arbor since you don't need to fiddle with getting it in the slot of the top plate.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joeman77
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool