Piper Grandfather clock /Franz Hermle #76 movement

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by jjccamis, Oct 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jjccamis

jjccamis Registered User

Dec 15, 2009
    Was given clock in pieces. Removed movement and oiled. Restrung three winding chains.clock runs fine. Two of the chains hold weights successfully. Chain on right(looking at clock from front) which controls the chimes, will not hold the weight. Will hold hand resistance to a point and chimes will function. It is as though something is very worn or stripped. Yes, the chain meshes with the winding pins on the gear.
    Being a novice, I do not have the ability to dismantle the movement. Before I take the movement to a certified clock smith, can any one suggest a possible repair/fix for this issue? JJC

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes, order a new replacement chime side chain wheel assembly. You can usually 'cheat' the old part out, and the new part in, without disassembling the movement. However, this is an old movement and probably way past due on some service and repair work.

New parts might not be available. If this is the case you might be able to repair the old assembly. You should have several identifying numbers stamped on the back plate of the moment.

I think "piper" was a brand name used long ago by Montgomery Ward but I might be mistaken.

Willie X

3. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Sounds like the click spring has broken on the ratchet.

4. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Butterworth has both the replacement part and the complete movement