Pinwheel

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Found this on a popular website a few years ago. Dad and I made the trip from Ohio to Chicago to pick it up and spending time with Dad was the best part of the purchase. We talked the whole way and discovered restaurants and rediscovered each other along the way. I contacted the person after the auction to set a time and date and we hit it off over the phone as he was a member so we had plenty to talk about. We stayed overnight at the wonderful Carlton Hotel.The next morning we went to pick up the clock and had a very nice experience with the couple. We spent about 3 hours looking over their collection, repair area and having wine. It was tough to leave as we felt like family.
The pendulum hangs from the back of the case and the dial is 9 1/2" less the bezel. Also, the case has a hole in the bottom that allows the weight to drop through. The hole appears to be missing a glass panel perhaps as I see evidence of nails to hold glass in place. This clock runs 8 days before the weight reaches the whole at the bottom. Does anyone know about such a clock with these features?

Thanks DSCN1870.jpg

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
More pics. DSCN1889.jpg DSCN1890.jpg DSCN1891.jpg

jkfabulos

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2001
I suspect the bottom hole had a mirror which would reflect the pendulum since as you have noted it runs eight days without needing the weight to fall through.
Unusual mounting bracket with pendulum suspended from it rather than the typical front mount pendulum hanging from a suspension spring and leader attached at the front of
the iron box frame the movement is mounted to.
Case with double glass sides where most of these had just one long piece of glass at the sides.
Case most likely had some type of top and bottom. Are there any holes or shadows that would give you a clue as to if this is likely?

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
No shadows or other evidence. The plainness attracted me as some cases can be very elaborate. The seller said that a friend brought it back from Austria as I recall. DSCN1912.jpg

Attachments

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Sounds like a nice road trip and a lovely clock with such a big temperature compensating pendulum and driven by such a small weight. I've never seen a wall clock with a cut out hole in the bottom of the case but glass does seem the obvious answer as to what was there for though with a long enough line it would run for much longer!

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDHusker
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions