Pinwheel regulator questions

Daniel Finney

Mar 23, 2015
Hello there. I just got this jewellers regulator and I have started to service it but having some questions. Always impressed with the knowledge and helpfulness of you people. I've checked out all the older threads and got some great information, but still some problems. First, movement mechanics match what I see described as a French made pinwheel except my end plates are not brass, rather nickel I believe. Also suspension spring holder block mounts above steel cage. Can anyone identity a make or origin of this movement? The problem I am having is how to remove the suspension spring? Just can't seem to figure how its held in there. Seems to be pinned on both ends but pins are very tight. Just doesn't seem like they were meant to be removed. Also it came without its weight. What would be an appropriate size weight? Without the pendulum on a 2.75 lb weight from a Vienna Regulator seemed to run it fine. Case is quite unusual too. Only pictures I found online of similar style were of reproductions . This is definitely very old. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks 20180306_201838.jpg 20180306_201919.jpg 20180306_201953.jpg 20180306_202030.jpg 20180306_202623.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I believe you are right that the suspension is held by a pin. It might be stubborn, but it has to be removable. My regulator runs a heavy pendulum (about 12 lbs) with a 5 lb. weight.

Daniel Finney

Mar 23, 2015
The pin through the leader is peaned on both sides much like a rivet. A little overkill by previous repairer? Though I'm sure you would not want it working its self out. Pendulum is a full 12lbs. Gridiron with small lyre. Another mystery to me me is winding arbor has 180 degree twist in it. Hard to imagine someone could wind it so tight as to twist it, but see no use for the twist either.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You find twisted winders pretty often. It's hard to imagine someone applying that kind of brute force when the winder won't move, but they do.

Daniel Finney

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks for the info so far. Just found some pictures and description of a Kroeber #25 that has the exact same movement. Desciption says its Swiss rather than French. Is one any more desirable than the other? Forgot to mention, the crutch takes to 90 degree turns and passes through the front plate. Seems that is a differance between the two. Case certainly not a Kroeber. Not the supermodel looks. More the girl next door.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
My weights are right about 5# as well. That top block should have two heavy pins through the spring then a third at the leader. I would be tempted to leave the spring alone unless there is a problem. Just remove the leader and all as an assembly and set to the side.

Daniel Finney

Mar 23, 2015
Unfortunately one half of the spring is broken. Wish I didnt have to mess with it. That pin in the leader is going to be a bugger. Steel cage has a hole that the leader drops though, not an open notch like some. The leader cant be pulled out enough to clear the seconds arbor and hands cannons. Looks I will have to file one side of the pin flush and tap it out. Clock does run and all pivots look good, so really don't want to fully dismantle everything. Seems like all pivots are easily oiled in frame. Or not?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Take lots of pictures as you take it apart. It is an easy movement to work on, and the pivots and bushings will appreciate some cleaning and fresh oil.

Daniel Finney

Mar 23, 2015
I figured someone would say that. You're right of course. Was tempted to take the shortcut but the long way around is the quickest way home. Want it right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shamrock green
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff