bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
it took four and half months to get this from a dealer in switzerland... here's the blurb on the clock from him:

REGULATOR, ELLICOTT TYPE PENDULUM
Masterpiece, prob. Germany or Belgium, 19th cent.

Precision regulator, glass enclosed on three sides, enamel flat dial with radial Roman numeral hours and Arabic numeral second indicator on its upper part, fine blued steel hands. Circa 1850 with an Ellicott temperature compensated bimetallic pendulum. John Ellicott (1706-1772) was a man of science, watchmaker of King George III, he was one of the most brilliant British watchmakers of the 18th century. This temperature compensated pendulum is made of a bimetallic rod linked to the bob through a levers system intended to compensate for the effect of thermal fluctuations on the precision of the timepiece.

Movement: Very interesting "Baguette" type weight driven brass movement. Graham escapement, pallets of the anchor with inlaid stones.

DIMENSIONS
Overall height: 140cm (55")
Width 43cm (17")
Depth 23cm (9")

A brass plaque is engraved H. Rosselet on the front and inscribed "Jean Prodhom à son ami Hri - Hte Rosselet" on the back. Both were respected watchmakers in Geneva in the later 1800s. In 1887, Henri-Hyppolite Rosselet joined his brother-in-law Georges-Lucien Eberhard when the latter moved to La Chaux-de-Fonds to start his first comptoir, in Avenue Léopold Robert, at number 16. The company changed its name to Eberhard & Cie in 1892, moving to an impressive building in La Chaux-de-Fonds in 1907.

a couple of points worth mentioning:

- the cord was acquired from a sailing shop, who braided the ends together :)

- like a precision regulator, the hour and minute hands are independent and adjusted separately

- the bob rests on the two pins that connect to the ellicott pendulum rod... which means the bob can be lifted off those little fingers for easy removal

- 30 day movement

- love that the pinwheel verge pallets are jeweled :)

main.jpg

movement_pieces.jpg suspension.jpg dial_hands.jpg ellicoott_bob.jpg regulating_knob.jpg christian_servicing.jpeg plaque_front.jpg plaque_back.jpg hanging.jpg

Last edited:

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Well Bruce...can't add to any information regarding your clock as it outside my collecting field. But I can tell looking at the movement that its an extremely high quality clock with the sorts of bells and whistles you only find on top end precision clocks. Nice one. Well done.

Reactions: PatH

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Bruce, congratulations on your latest acquisition. You’re really amassing a fine collection.

Ralph

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Wow!!!! Definitely a thing of beauty and an amazing piece of workmanship. I notice that the rope appears to be dark in the after-service videos. Did you retain the one that came with the clock? What is on it now?

Re Ellicott's pendulum - you might find this article from the April 1991 Bulletin interesting. There are other Bulletin articles about Ellicott if anyone is interested in learning more.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
The cord that was on it when I bought it was nothing much… The dealer suggested a new cord and offered me my choice of white, gray, or the black and gray that I chose because it fades into the background

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
Beautiful, that is a clock's clock. Well worth a 4 month wait, thanks for sharing. It has more amplitude than I was expecting. Always nice to see lots of good pics and videos, looks like jewelry.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Beautiful, that is a clock's clock. Well worth a 4 month wait, thanks for sharing. It has more amplitude than I was expecting. Always nice to see lots of good pics and videos, looks like jewelry.

your email reminded me to weigh the bob: 19 lbs 1.3 oz... and that's without the rod assembly. :)

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Re Ellicott's pendulum - you might find this article from the April 1991 Bulletin interesting. There are other Bulletin articles about Ellicott if anyone is interested in learning more.
great article... thx!

TJ Cornish

NAWCC Member
Sep 12, 2013
St. Paul, MN
minnesotawatches.com
Country
Region
Wow - what an amazing piece! How is the temperature compensation adjusted? My French Astro regulator has a 3 part rod like yours, but it’s reversed - brass on the outside and steel inside. The way yours compensates at the bottom makes sense to me (other than how you tune the compensation), whereas mine is very odd, and of dubious usefulness anyway, as my clock has a mercury pendulum.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
according to the article PatH referenced above, the original Ellicott design was more like mine... iron bars on the outside, brass rod center. i don't think the outer bars on mine are iron. :)

the amount of compensation is tuned via the horizontal threaded silver adjusters that sit in the slots in the arms that raise or lower with the center brass rod.... note that they are threaded, with a raised area on the inside that actually contacts the levers.... moving the contact points in and out would adjust the amount of lift or lower.

compensation_adjust.jpg

that said, i will probably leave things as they are. my goal is to get it as perfectly regulated as possible and then see how it does over time.

also... forgot to mention that there are raised rails on the front edges of the inside left/top/right of the case that fit snugly into matching recesses in the door to keep out dust. :)

door_seal.jpg

Jevan

Jul 31, 2014
I have no access to the link previously posted by PatH so this may well be duplicate information.

A free to download Royal Society 1752 published John Ellicott article (Philosophical Transactions1683-1775)
A Description of Two Methods, by Which the Irregularity of the Motion of a Clock, Arising from the Influence of Heat and Cold upon the Rod of the Pendulum, May be Prevented; By John Ellicott, F. R. S. on JSTOR

It is also worth searching the site for other innovative makers.

For comparison to the adjustment on Bruce's bob here is an Ellicott Transit Regulator pendulum.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thats a beautiful clock, a once in a life time find perhaps. I kow i am not the only one envious of your newest clock find. Thanks so much for sharing too.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Thats a beautiful clock, a once in a life time find perhaps. I kow i am not the only one envious of your newest clock find. Thanks so much for sharing too.

my pleasure! :)

a few more stats, and a photo of the jeweled pallets:

- weight is 10 lbs 14 ox

- pendulum rod assembly without bob is 4 lbs 6 oz

jeweled_pallets.jpg

Reactions: Kevin W.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i think the clock pre-dates invar.... my guess would be nickel, but i would be guessing. :)

a clock dealer friend commented that there were things about the clock that seemed more watch-like... as if it were designed and built by a watch person rather than a clock person... which would make sense given that it was a gift from one watchmaker to another.

what do you think they would have used between 1850 and invar/1895?

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
Hi Bruce,

Great clock! For my interest, are the two arms of the anchor adjustable against each other, other than with a fixing screw parallel to the anchor axis? One of my clocks has a screw with a very fine thread perpendicular to the anchor axis and between the two arms, with which the width of the arms can be adjusted very precisely.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Great clock! For my interest, are the two arms of the anchor adjustable against each other, other than with a fixing screw parallel to the anchor axis? One of my clocks has a screw with a very fine thread perpendicular to the anchor axis and between the two arms, with which the width of the arms can be adjusted very precisely.
not adjustable.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Bruce,
...what do you think they would have used between 1850 and invar/1895?
Why don't you think the outer components are iron, or much more likely, steel? That was the usual companion metal to brass in these bimetallic compensation systems.

Regards,

Graham

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
they're probably steel, but you guys know more than i do... what do you think?

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Bruce, if you want to know definitively, what the material is, some scrap yards, precious metal buyers and others have begun using spectrometer devices to determine what a material is… maybe you can appeal to someone like that to give reading.
https://extranet.spectro.com/-/media/25BF83F4-4130-4A14-BF30-F1F673974350.pdf
i always say that every clock (or repair) is an opportunity to buy a new tool.... but the best price i could find on a used spectro is $20k.

i think i'm fine knowing they're some kind of steel. really. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drohlin17
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-