• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Pinwheel and pendulum

giorgio

Feb 18, 2004
Santa Barbara, California
Country
Region
My Renard (Jolly) tower clock, which has received no comments for this board but interesting comments from other sources, is refusing to escape regularly. As I said in my previous posting, I am new to tower clocks but not to mechanical ones.
To the point: with the pendulum in absolutely vertical position, where should the pin in the wheel be in relationship to the pallets?

I can make it escape by manually rotating the pinwheel, but it will soon bind. I suspect, but I am not sure, that since the pendulum is also swung manually, I may not have the right angle of swing, or at least not consistently.

The clock has a remontoir... but that is the subject of another query.

Thanks,

Giorgio Perissinotto
NAWCC #1160

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
You have a nice clock. I would not try to run it in that condition.

Your remontoire appears to missing a small adjustable sliding weight, that would be on the arm extending from the pivoted frame that is part of the remontoire differential.

That weight might give the escapement enough power to keep it running. ..but the clock is long overdue for proper attention.

For inspiration check out this site.

Click Here

Ralph

giorgio

Feb 18, 2004
Country
Region
Thank you very much for your comment. I have manufactured a temporary counterweight, but it is hard to estimathe the weight needed.mIt seems to want to escape "backwards". Any idea?

I know the clock needs a lot of attnetion. I just want to make sure "it runs" and that al the partes are there before I take it apart completely and restore it.

Regards,
Giorgio

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
giorgio said:
Thank you very much for your comment. I have manufactured a temporary counterweight, but it is hard to estimathe the weight needed.mIt seems to want to escape "backwards". Any idea?

I know the clock needs a lot of attnetion. I just want to make sure "it runs" and that al the partes are there before I take it apart completely and restore it.

Regards,
Giorgio
Well, in the condition it is in, I'm not sure if a weight that would run it, is the right weight in the end..

I would say add enough weight to where it will drive the escapement in a forward direction. Are you running it with the pendulum. or just checking the escapement action?

Do you understand the remontoire operation?

Ralph

giorgio

Feb 18, 2004
Country
Region
I do understand the remontoire operation, though imperfectly. And I have made progress. I have cleaned the mechanism superficially and the remontoire, with pendulum and bob (heavy) and an approximate weight of 10 kilos, works even without the counterweight. And I have done the suggested reading. The clock now escapes and the remontoire goes up and down to release time to the minute gear. But it lasts only a minute or so before stopping. I suspect that the time train drum and gears are either jammed, or blocked, or there is not enough weight.

I thank you for your comment and invite more.

Happy Holidays
Giorgio Perissinotto

Well, in the condition it is in, I'm not sure if a weight that would run it, is the right weight in the end..

I would say add enough weight to where it will drive the escapement in a forward direction. Are you running it with the pendulum. or just checking the escapement action?

Do you understand the remontoire operation?

Ralph

[/quote]