Pin Wheel escapement

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by lperzy, Nov 22, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lperzy

lperzy Registered User

Dec 27, 2000
    I was interested in knowing if a pin wheel escapement is the best type for extreme accuracy in time keeping. Were these type of escapements ever used in american regulator type movements, or just a French thing??

2. lperzy

lperzy Registered User

Dec 27, 2000
    I was interested in knowing if a pin wheel escapement is the best type for extreme accuracy in time keeping. Were these type of escapements ever used in american regulator type movements, or just a French thing??

3. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    No, the pin-palet escapement is not the best form of dead-beat escapement according to Rawlings.

The disadvantage quoted is, "The dead faces (of the 'scape wheel) here are not truly dead, since they cannot be concave at the entering palet and convex at the exit one as they should be." I think what he's saying is that there is a slight recoil with the pin palet form.

Obviously the pin-palet escapement is simpler to manufacture as seen in inexpensive watches and alarm clocks.

The main advantage is if the pins wear, they can be easily replaced, so in that view, there is an advantage over the more conventional forms of Graham dead-beat escapment. For example, if with the Graham form and the verge faces become worn, the verge must be replaced or the faces replaced or maybe re-ground but then the geometry of the verge must be brought back to specification.

Les

4. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Iperzy,

I have long been under the inmpression that the pinwheel escapement is as close to a dead beat as a Graham. As a matter of fact, I would think it would be closer to an absolute dead beat as, generally, the locking surfaces on a pinwheel pallet are concave. They are as close to a "circular pallet" as one can get! And, yes, at least one American manufacturer that I know of for sure (Waterbury) made pinwheel regulators. Anybody know of any others? The English used a lot of pinwheel escapements as well.

Regards,
    Doug S.

5. MUN CHOR-WENG

MUN CHOR-WENG Registered User

Sep 5, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Interestingly a form of pinwheel escapement patented by C. Bauer in 1901 had been used successfully in 400 day clock. It is relatively trouble free and reliable but was not widlely used probably because of cost consideration.

Mun C.W.
    Chapter 168 member
    http://pages.hosting.domaindirect.com/clocktech.com/nawcc/49.jpg
    http://pages.hosting.domaindirect.com/clocktech.com/nawcc/51.jpg
    http://pages.hosting.domaindirect.com/clocktech.com/nawcc/52.jpg
    http://pages.hosting.domaindirect.com/clocktech.com/nawcc/53.jpg
    edited to include images. TC

[This message was edited by Tom Chaudoir on November 24, 2002 at 1:06.]

6. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Iperzy like doug I know of only Waterbury producing their own pin wheel movements - they were offed for the first time in their 1891 catalog-the movements where considerably larger than thier European counterparts-they had heavier plates and larger pillar posts - it was called their # 100 movement though I don't believe all were marked I think they were made till slightly after the turn og the century JACK

7. Steve Cunningham

Steve Cunningham Registered User

Oct 6, 2000
    I think most American makers offered a Pin Wheel escapement, but most of those were made in Switzerland, and installed here. I have an Ansonia. Howard probably made their own Pin Wheels though, as they also made most of the Gravity Escapements for the American makers.