Pin pallet escape question.

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
I have the booklet by Robert Porter on the pin Pallet escape. This booklet basically wants the flats of the pins to be radial to the center of the escape wheel. He uses the Ansonia type visible escape and the pins span 11 teeth of the 30 tooth wheel. I have a very old pin pallet escapement with a 28 tooth escape wheel and the span of teeth for the pins is six. Does the radial idea still hold true. The pallet diameter seems correct and follows Porters 80 percent 20 percent idea.
Of course the reason I am asking is that mine is not working very well. One pallet is fairly radial, the other not close. Both pins are worn, probably original. There is no center distance adjustment on the clock and the verge I think is cast Brass, so at this point I have to look at the pallet pins. It will run if I remove the strain of lever lifting. The action is between the plates and is is difficult to see. I guess my question is--- should I start with pins radial and possibly replace the pins since the wear has shortened the impulse time on the pin that I can see?
I will try to make a video of the side I can see, the exit pallet.

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
I put up the picture I used on an earlier thread to show the angles of the pallet pins. (before cleaning) The a video of the entrance pallet and last a video of the exit pallet. As you will see I bumped the exit video and restarted the pendulum which makes the last part :???:.
and

DSCF2334 (2).JPG

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes, the escape wheel interacts with the curved part of the pallets, so the starting point for setting them is with the flat portion pointing at the center of the escape wheel, curved part toward the teeth. They might need a little tweaking after that as well. They are usually held in place with shellac, which melts at very low temperature. It can be heated to allow the pallets to be turned. Don't expose the pallets to any harsh chemicals or to an ultrasonic cleaner :)
But your clocks appears to be running ... no?
This is not a pin pallet escapement either, in the strictest sense of the term.

Last edited:

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
That is sort of what my question was. With the number of teeth between the pins I thought that maybe the radial idea might not be the way to go. The clock was running but not well so I fixed it so it is not running at all now. I got brave and set the pallet pins to radial (they are friction fit). The entrance pallet is not releasing a tooth so there is no action at all. The entrance pallet was the one that was significantly off from being radial. Something like 20 degrees whereas the exit pallet was somewhat closer to radial. Both errors were to the left from a front view the left pallet being the entrance.
To me the video showed that the entrance pallet was possibly shallow and the exit pallet might have been above center. If I had not bumped the clock it would have been more trustworthy. The entrance pallet being shallow would make sense with the amount that it is off of radial. Also the wear on that pallet pin is on the bottom edge of the semi-circle. Then again, it ran for a long time with that setting if you can judge by the amount of wear on the pallet.

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
Time out!!! I'm starting over. Watching the Pin pallets try to work exposed some sideways movement in the escape wheel pivots. Only thing to do is take this thing down (again). My fault. Getting all the lifting "stuff" out of the way will clean things up so I can work of the time train and see the pallet action a little clearer. It takes hours for that strike barrel to wind down. I'll start another thread next week. As many of you have often said, it usually is not one thing that brings these old movements to a halt, but a series of little things. I'll go over in the corner and pout now.:confused:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
And the final setting is more about "will it run?" than "how does it look?" ;)

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
Sorry, I though this thread was dead. After my last post on this thread I made new pallet pins and worked on bushings. Sb you have followed my latest thread and as you saw I have it working pretty well. I am in the process of putting the whole movement back together in order to give it a test when the movement needs to do some work with lifting pins. I will report back with results on the new thread. Thanks to all.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Didn't see you have another thread going, Carl :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Authenthic
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre