• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Pictures of Japy Freres movement to aid reassembly

Otago

Jul 1, 2015
Country
Hi there -

Ive a JF clock in pieces - Ive been assured that it is all there and complete (from a relative) and I'd like to try and reassemble it. I'm a newbee - can anyone suggest a resource that would provide the steps to follow - or perhaps a picture of an assembled movement (the clock is a plain black slate clock stamped with the number 7120. Ive tried google!

Cheers!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
In the past, we've had success with this: Put the parts on a sheet of paper and number them. Take a picture and post it here (using the camera icon in the reply box). We should be able to identify which parts go where to get you started.

AJSBSA

Nov 24, 2009
Cheshire, UK
www.ajsbsa.co.uk
Country
Region
I take pictures of all the movements I work on and give them to the customer so I now have quite a collection several hundred movements in fact I can provide Japy countwheel and brocot versions as well

Japy-00 (8).JPG Japy-00 (15).JPG Japy-00 (23).JPG Japy-00 (28) - Copy.JPG

I would suggest reading Steve Conovors

Repairing French Pendulum Clocks

Last edited:

Talyinka

May 14, 2011
England
Country
PM me with an email address and I shall send you step by step photos explaining how to assemble the clock. Another good source is Thorpe's The French Marble Clock. It contains good drawings.

I just noticed that you haven't attached any photos at all to your post - please give us a few photos of the stack of parts...

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Thanks Guys -

The photos posted are great - please find some attached of the box of bits! 240753.jpg
I'm afraid the that the pictures we posted wont be of much help because they are of clocks with a rack and snail strike system, yours is a count wheel clock. Usually one would begin servicing a clock like this my removing the hands, and then unpinning the movement from the clock face. One would then remove the parts that are on the front plate (between the front plate and the clock face). It is important to "let down" the power in the springs before separating the plates and I'm not sure how you accomplished that without removing the clock face without some unneeded drama. You now need to finish the disassembly and clean everything properly and that includes removing and cleaning the springs.

Reassembly begins by putting the cleaned springs back in the barrels (requires a spring winding tool or risk damaging the spring) and placing the parts between the plates. Then add the front and back parts. I'm afraid it isn't quite as simple as it sounds. I recommend Repairing French Pendulum Clocks, by Steven G. Conover as a general reference for repairing French clocks like this, and Striking Clock Repair, by Steven G. Conover for a detailed step by step procedure with illustrations for assembling and setting up the strike wheels on French count wheel clock like yours. Please be gentle with it as these parts are easily broken, especially pivots. Sorry, I do not have any "apart" photos of a French count wheel clock.

Good luck with this project.

RC

ClipClock

Deceased
Jun 20, 2013
Kent, UK
Country
If nobody comes along in the meantime with photos, I'll be reassembling one like yours tonight or tomorrow morning, I could take a photo for you before I put the plates together.

Have to say I do agree with RC, it wouldn't hurt to give yours a bit of a clean up, I kind of doubt it'll be very enthusiastic about running as it is :)

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Clip,

If you could lay out the parts in the same way as the OP's picture it might help to identify anything that's missing.

Regards,

Graham

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm thinking 1,3, and 4 are time side wheels. The others probably strike side. The part under #8 is also time side. I'm sure ClipClock will get you some good pic's of how they go.

ClipClock

Deceased
Jun 20, 2013
Kent, UK
Country
Hi Clip,

If you could lay out the parts in the same way as the OP's picture it might help to identify anything that's missing.

Regards,

Graham
Graham that would have been a good idea, but hopefully these will help :)

P1050807_4635 revised.jpg

I was a little unsure in your photo which is the smaller of the two wheels with a single pin, but you want that smaller next to the fly, your number 7

The * is to point out where you want the pin to be positioned on this count wheel version

Note (what I think is your 3 or 4, the larger of the wheels with the single pin) needs to have the pin resting up against the stop of the lever, as shown

Here are a couple of side views which hopefully make it easier to see which wheel is which:

P1050824_4643.JPG P1050825_4644.JPG

Hope it helps :)

Edited to add revised picture

Last edited:

kenpiercemcp

Apr 5, 2018
Country
PM me with an email address and I shall send you step by step photos explaining how to assemble the clock. Another good source is Thorpe's The French Marble Clock. It contains good drawings.

I just noticed that you haven't attached any photos at all to your post - please give us a few photos of the stack of parts...
Hi, I also have a disassembled JF movement. My email is kenpiercemcp@gmail.com. Could you please me the step by step photos.. Thanks so much for the help

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Hi, I also have a disassembled JF movement. My email is kenpiercemcp@gmail.com. Could you please me the step by step photos.. Thanks so much for the help
You have joined a very old thread about a different clock. It would be advisable to start a new thread and post several clear pictures of your clock. At first blush French clocks may all tend to look the same but on closer inspection one finds a number of differences. You are not likely to find "step by step" photos but someone likely will have a photo showing all the parts in place once we know just which type JF clock you have. I recommend the book Repairing French Pendulum Clocks, by Steven G. Conover as a general reference for repairing French clocks like this for step by step illustrations and instructions for assembly and adjustment.

RC

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Also, ClipClock, who supplied the photo's recently passed away.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.
As has been said, this was a very old thread that you have brought back. I am assuming you are referring to Talyinka's offer in post #5, not to Clip Clock's photos.

You could try sending personal message to Talyinka. (Click on Talyinka's name and then 'Start conversation').

And, as suggested, you would do better starting a new thread for your enquiry.

JTD