Pictures of clocks back in their day.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Robert Ling, Apr 10, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Ling

Robert Ling Registered User

Apr 17, 2002
    Self employed..contractor.
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #301 Robert Ling, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
    These are catalog pages from "A. Hirsch & Co." Chicago Illinois from aprox the 1890's. I think they were a department store ? with a catalog much like Sears Roebuck.

All Seth Thomas clocks.
    Prices, Left to Right
    #2 regulator - 24.50
    Lunar - 38.00
    #6 - 42.00
    #63- 115.00
    * lower page
    #18- 45.00
    #30- 47.50
    #03- 46.50 w/strike 49.00
    #25- 27.00

254.jpg
    255.jpg

2. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Victorian Ansonia Trade Card.
    Having trouble getting up in the morning ?

Attached Files:

3. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    writer, radio producer, old building-materials adv
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 mil
    Country Flag:
    The horse statues in nicksey's picture are known as "Marley Horses" and are commonly made of spelter, but sometimes in bronze. The UK used to ship thousands of them to the states in the 70s.

The spelling can also be "Marly". There is quite a bit on them on the web.

Harold; the upstairs fire places in most of that type of house, were usually made of cast iron.

4. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Heres another view of the Old Seth Thomas clock factory.
    It looks like a bell tower at the opposite end of the building. I wonder if it worked off of the same big clock that can be seen, or ?
    Has anyone been there ?

40.jpg

5. willene2011

willene2011 New Member

Jul 7, 2011
    I need old pic also thankyou

6. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thundering and Stiddy :D I hope you taking notes Scotty.

Attached Files:

7. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is the interior of one of the many Carnegie public libraries built in New York at the turn of the 20th century. This one is the Park Slope (Brooklyn) Branch. I think the clock on the wall is a Welch "Verdi." For comparison is a picture of a "Verdi" from Antiqueclockspriceguide.com.

What do you think? I couldn't find any other models with the same half-round molding around both the dial and the case drop, the pointed case bottom, and a seconds dial. Winding holes on the Verdis varied slightly, with some midway between the center hole and the numerals IIII and IIIV and some closer to the IIII and IIIV. This might be because the Verdi came in both a T & S and a double-wind time-only version.

The library interior is being restored, and I would like to find a clock to match the original.

Attached Files:

8. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a great original photo, Jeremy.
    I do think you have a match on your clock.
    The young boys in line look like they have been ah struck by the beautiful lady behind the counter.

9. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I,for one, have driven down there. No access to the building as it was on a Sunday. Nevere thought to look any farther then what was at the street. Never saw the postcard showing the view posted here either, so there was no reason to search anymore. I'm sure the older buildings were lost in the flood of the mid 50's. Here in Webster and surrounds the damage was great too.

10. nicksey

nicksey Registered User

Nov 12, 2009
    Cheshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great photo of the clock in the Carnegie library but to my eye the proportions don't match the Verdi as the drop case appears to be longer on the Carnegie clock, unless the Verdi came in different drop lengths.

Thats just my impression on comparing the two and I could well be wrong as my eyesight is not what it used to be!

The drop case to me looks more like the proportions of say the Seth Thomas 'World' as in this, again from Antiqueclockspriceguide.com.

Attached Files:

11. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I tend to agree that it may not be the Verdi. The porportionate height of the door to the case seems different in the Verdi (as pictured) as compared to the clock in the library picture.

12. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good Eye, and I agree the original clock is a longer drop.

13. tomogletree

tomogletree Registered User

Jul 30, 2011
    Master Plumber
    Edison, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  14. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Also think more likely a Seth Thomas "World". For some reason pictures of this clock sometimes make the rolled edge of the octagon frame look like raised moulding. New York City used ST clocks in many of their buildings and many are marked NYC Board of Education.

15. tomogletree

Jul 30, 2011
    Master Plumber
    Edison, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well My Watch dawg comment was meant to be attached to the picture of the dawg on the bar so I'm sorry for that. But I edited the post and added a picture of my own. Gone so I will try again.

This is a picture of my Grandmother as a little girl. the paper Reads, The LaGrange Standard. So this was taken before they went to Montana in 1888-89. Note the small alarm clock on the shelf. I am pouring over old family photos trying to see if i can find My E.N. Welch clock

Attached Files:

16. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #316 Jeremy Woodoff, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
    Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts.

I have more to add, but I'm getting error messages when I try to add more text.

17. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I have agreed to try posting what Jeremy wanted to say. So, here is his full text:

"Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I have seen an original print of the historic photo and was absolutely convinced that the octagon portion of the case had a projecting half-round molding. That would eliminate the S.T. World from contention. However, in looking at the Antiqueclockspriceguide listing of World clocks, it does appear possible that reflected light could give the illusion of a projecting molding. I agree that the drop on the World looks closer to what is in the historic photo, but I attributed that to the angle of the view. None of the Verdi's I have seen appear to have a variant with a longer drop. Interestingly, in the antiqueclockspriceguide photos of World clocks, at least two appear to have shorter drops, similar to the Verdi. One actually is a misidentified Verdi; the other may be a World with a variant drop. Finally, I noticed that the clock in my photo has what appears to be a label visible behind the top part of the lower glass. Some of the World photos show a label in the same position. No labels in this position show in any of the Verdi images.

So, I guess I'm now leaning towards the clock in the historic photo being a World, but still think it's possible it's a Verdi.

The Verdi will have to be close enough, since I already bought one at a good price ($200) on Craigslist. If the library accepts it, I’ll install it once the renovation is finished and then post some pictures."

18. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeremy, considering the height of the original in the picture, some dedicated employee likely had to haul a ladder out once a week to wind it. But, if it was a World, a 30 day model, it may not have needed attention so often. I'm guessing you bought a two spring time only model, as a striking clock might not be welcome in a library.

19. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hard to tell from the photo posted, but if, as Jeremy indicates the clock in the picture has molding around the top octagon, then it is not a World...but it does look longer than the Verdi listed...I have had a few long drop Welch/Sessions with seconds bit that differed from each other but not sure what the drop was on them...I have a Verdi case/movement in the garage that is missing the bezel...will first look for it...and then see if the look is the same as in the pic.
    Added....My world and every one I have seen what has the label, has it placed on the inside backboard where you can view it from the top of the glass...the Verdi's were labeled on the rear backboard.

20. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The clock I have is a two-spring time-only model. The Welch, Spring "Verdi" label is on the back of the backboard. I am test running it now. It won't run a month; maybe not even two weeks. I think I've seen the time-only model referred to as 8-day.

Harold, you are right about the benefits of a 30-day World, though the picture is a little deceiving, as only a couple of steps from a small stepladder would be needed to reach the clock for winding.

21. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The time only is a double spring and 8 day....it was referred to in one of my books as "perhaps the finest spring driven movement from the USA....."
    The old case I have has a time and strike Verdi movement.

22. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A few from waterbury, Connecticut. 2 dial Seth Thomas clock in front of jewelers (it was later moved in 1935.)
    174.jpg

1955 flood near the railroad station

175.jpg

Bank street in the aftermath of flood

176.jpg

23. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great pictures, Gilbert
    I see the old tractor is an "Oliver"

24. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you can ID this clock ? please do.
    It must have been a cold day, as the dog has a heavy coat and still seeks the warmth of the fire.
    55.jpg

25. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like a Seth Thomas "Column Gilt" ca. 1874. A variation did not have gilt columns. Also often referred to as a triple decker, though I think a true triple-decker has a case fully divided into three parts.

26. franklit

franklit New Member

Sep 6, 2011
    I work for Kaunas City Municipality
    Kaunas city, Lithuania
    Country Flag:
    Very nice and interesting pictures, thanks to all who posted them

frank

27. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Belle époque France: the high life!

Attached Files:

28. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Man's best friend in the clock / watch shop.
    218.jpg

29. Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1 Registered User

Jul 28, 2011
    #329 Rogerstar1, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
    In a related vein pehaps, Nicksey, a tall case clock which has kept a continuous beat (and me company) in the study for well neigh 30 years is said to have been been made in or around 1807. ("Kelond" on the painted dial). It's ticking can mesmerize in idle moments and then I'll reflect that that precise sound, that strike, marked Napoleon's exile to Elba Island, Lincoln's emancipation of the slaves, man's landng on the Moon, etc. Some privileged soul's hands tended to it on those momentous occasions and on the days in between and that I am but a trustee for awhile with the good fortune to appreciate some of life's finer and beautiful things bound up in the sound and the maintenance of my clock.

RAD

30. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well said, Roger

I've contemplated the history that passed while several of my clocks were in service. Unlike other collectables that can just sit there, a clock was marking the time and viewed by their former owner as historical events happened.

31. tomogletree

Jul 30, 2011
    Master Plumber
    Edison, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    FWIW There are clocks all over the scenes of Boardwalk Empire

32. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On the shelf in this modest dining room is a Gilbert "Amphion." The fiddle-back telephone is a Western Electric "3-jug" model, so called because the large battery box at the bottom holds three wet cells. The calendar above the telephone probably says "January," but the year is not readable. There are many other fascinating details visible in the picture, including the rolling pin hanging from the clock shelf. Hooks have been added to the rolling pin, one of which holds a pair of scissors.

Attached Files:

33. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Jeremy, a nice piece of social history! The bowl with the fruit in it, looks to be a bowl version of a "ribbon plate". They were mostly made in Bavaria, Shumann being one of the most famous. Most of them were collected from fun fairs as prizes, and people used to thread silk ribbons through the cut outs. Seeing the phone, reminds me of our one, back in the 50s-60s. We had a large battery, and had to crank a handle, to attract Mrs O'Toole, in the post office. Then when finished the call, we had to crank it again to "ring off", so she could wake up and unplug us!

34. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    LaPrade, I never knew where the expression "ring off" came from. Thanks for that!

35. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Lambert clock factory at Saint-Nicholas-d'Aliermont, Normandy, don't know when exactly, but definitely some time ago!

Attached Files:

36. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    What's on the backside?

The image, obviously a postcard, should have a post-date on the reverse side.

Additionally, the green colored postage stamp could likely be dated.

37. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Les,

Most of the used postcards you find here in collectors shops, all seem to have the stamp and frank, on the picture side. Sometimes, I have even seen the address there as well!! I don't know when this practice stopped: maybe the post office told the customers to stop doing it. I saw one post card with several stamps, that covered most of the interesting bits.

38. melikesclocks

melikesclocks Registered User

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I noticed this during the Ken Burns documentary about Prohibition. They were talking about George Remus, a major bootlegger who moved to Cincinnati from Chicago and built a mansion in the city's best neighbhorhood. This is a picture of the house's foyer with a Herschede model 228 clock in the back ground.

Remus moved to Cincinnati because 80% percent of the country's bonded whiskey was within 300 miles. He would buy a distillery, get the permit to sell the whiskey it had made before Prohibition, then sell it to drug companies he formed, who would in turn sell it to pharmacies (the only way it could be legally sold). A lot of trucks got "hijacked" along the way by his own men, funneling product to the illegal market. He made up to $79,000 a day in tax free cash by selling whiskey from a fortified farm on the city outskirts as well.

From Wikipedia:
    George and Imogene held a New Year's Eve party at their new mansion, nicknamed the Marble Palace, in 1922. The guests included 100 couples from the most prestigious families in the area. As parting gifts, Remus presented all the men with diamond watches, and gave each guest's wife a brand new car. Remus held a similar party in June 1923, during his problems with the government, when he gave each female guest (of the fifty present) a brand new Pontiac.

Attached Files:

39. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  40. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #340 Robert Ling, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
    This looks like a Seth Thomas #2 with the later one piece bottom.
    Mounted high on the wall even in an office setting. This was probably the most popular wall clock made by Seth Thomas.
    With as many as were out there, I think this is the first photo I've seen of one from it's day ?

In the Left border you can see an older gentleman who got in the photo.....I think this may have been the photographer ?
    didn't they stand away from one of those old tri pod mounted cameras with some kind of remote to take the pic ? The lense was wide angle so he might not have relised he was in the shot ?

Photo cir 1915.... Platt city Missouri
    285.jpg

41. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a wonderful photo! It looks as though the old guy is holding something in his hand and pressing with his thumb. That would be the remote shutter mechanism. The dark tube near his palm would go to the shutter on the camera. I love the little girl on the candlestick phone. Note the bell box for the phone under the desk.

42. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just to get this pic to the new page
    -> posts merged by system <-
    I hadn't noticed that Jeremy, What he was holding in his hand....so yes, that was the photographer. I thought so by the tilt of his head, etc.
    That's very interesting in itself that he got in the pic.

43. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Robert:

Have you been able to enlarge the photo to read the year on the calendar/

RobertG

44. Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1 Registered User

Jul 28, 2011
    I've wondered why in so many of these old photographs the clock was mounted so high on the wall that a step ladder was necessary to wind it.

45. Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
    SoCal.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #345 Robert Ling, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
    I only tried a bit, but with not much luck. It did look like November for the month. I bought the photo, but haven't received it yet. When I get it I'll check it more closely.
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Good question.
    We thought earlier in this thread it might be to keep them away from people who had too much to drink ... in the bar photos....but this is clearly an office.
    Maybe if you were in the clock repair and winding business... (they used to keep your clock wound as a service, I'm told)... you wanted them high so the customer couldn't reach them ?

46. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting photo, i too wondered what year it was taken, i was thinking maybe early 1920,s.
    I guess in schools the clock would be high as well to prevent students from playing with them.

47. Danoman

Danoman Registered User

Oct 29, 2011
    Pineville, Louisiana USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm thinking the clocks are mounted so high because the ceilings are so high.
    Look how high that calendar is mounted.

48. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My guess: to keep the clock from being bumped or moved by the wind. Remember, they ventilated by opening those huge windows whenever the weather permitted.

I have a photo of family clocks in an article I wrote, Email gone astray finds family horological history, NAWCC The Mart, April, 2011, Issue No. 359, page 21, where the fellow used a ladder to climb on top of a huge safe to wind two clock. He did this every week for over 30 years!
    [FONT=&quot]

RobertG
    [/FONT]

49. Thyme

Thyme Banned

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    I doubt that there would be sufficient wind in a room to move a clock of that size. There may be a simpler explanation. If you notice, there is something attached to the wall, plus a coat rack and possibly an umbrella stand in the general area beneath the clock. In an office with limited space it's very likely they wanted the area clear for those other items.

50. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't believe it is a later #2 with a dating of 1915. It looks to me like an earlier #1 with the reverse painted lower glass and a seconds bit. That is unless I am seeing shadows instead of the glass....