• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Pictures of Banjo and Lyre clocks ... Please

Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
SoCal.
Country
Region
Let's see some of these Great clocks / timepieces :eek: Figure eights would be nice to see also.

Give a discription too, please.

Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
SoCal.
Country
Region
This is an unsigned banjo. The movemnt is serial numbered only , # 5781, which would be an Early Waltham number, probably about 100 years old. The Eagle finial is Gilt Gesso. The dial has a Gold inner ring.
24.jpg

Untilted Lower glass , I'm guessing this is the USS Wasp and the HMS Reindeer.
25.jpg
Back side of lower glass, Note the heavy paint used and the mitered and finished molding holding in the glass.

26.jpg

• Love
Reactions: S_Owsley

clockpoor

Jul 31, 2007
Great looking clock Robert!:thumb:

These are certainly not very fancy nor real valuable Banjo's, but as a Seth Thomas collector they were of particular interest to me. I picked these up as a complete set off the NAWCC e-mart and just received them yesterday so Robert L's request to see Banjos makes this very timely?

They date to the late 1920's and are relatively small at about 18 3/4" in height and 6" wide. They are from left to right, Blackstone, Redress, Danvers and Grenville. I was aware of and in fact already owned the Danvers model and had seen the Blackstone, but the Redress and Grenville were completely unknown to me. Only the Danvers is listed in Tran Duy Ly.

CP

Attachments

Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
SoCal.
Country
Region
Those are great CP,
You never know what you might find on our E Mart.

Richard, Very nice Chelsea. You don't see them very often. It has an interesting depiction of Mount Vernon and super throte glass.

All nice too see.

Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
SoCal.
Country
Region
This is an E. Howard #5 Banjo that was their smallest size @ 29 inches high.

27.jpg

Script signature original dial.

28.jpg

This example dates to July 1873 when it was presented as a gift, per it's rear lable.

29.jpg

waricks

Jun 2, 2008
Washington State
Country
Region
Here is my one and only Banjo. I really like it but I do not know much about it. It has a hairspring movement and I was not able to find a serial number anywhere. I did find a number that looked to be hand engraved in the outer ring of the metal movement case it looks like is says E3658. Maybe it does not mean anything.

You guys have some really nice Banjo's I hope one day to get some more like the above examples.

Bill

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
clockpoor said:
Great looking clock Robert!:thumb:

These are certainly not very fancy nor real valuable Banjo's, but as a Seth Thomas collector they were of particular interest to me. I picked these up as a complete set off the NAWCC e-mart and just received them yesterday so Robert L's request to see Banjos makes this very timely?

They date to the late 1920's and are relatively small at about 18 3/4" in height and 6" wide. They are from left to right, Blackstone, Redress, Danvers and Grenville. I was aware of and in fact already owned the Danvers model and had seen the Blackstone, but the Redress and Grenville were completely unknown to me. Only the Danvers is listed in Tran Duy Ly.

CP
Holy deja vu, CP! Banjos (20th c.) used to be a passion of mine, but I have moved away from them a bit and have begun letting others have the enjoyment of them. I have had several ST banjos, but now have two remaining. Below is the # 7, with Thomas Jefferson in silouhette and Monticello in the box, rather than the more common Geo. W. and Mt. Vernon (although some have mistaken the figures on my banjo for the latter).

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Bill, you have a fine looking gilbert banjo clock in excellent condition. I especially like the pastoral scene tablet. Not sure about the numbers. Perhaps a date 1936, fifth month, eighth day? Vernon

Joeydeluxed

NAWCC Member
Mar 3, 2007
Country
Here's a couple of photos of an Elnathan Taber banjo clock.
The glasses, dial, finish, finial, etc. are completely original and untouched.

Joeydeluxed

NAWCC Member
Mar 3, 2007
Country
Sorry, didn't attach the photo correctly to my posting, Here's trying again!

Here's some photos of an Elnathan Taber banjo clock. The clock is
ALL original including the reverse painted glasses, finish, finial, movement,
dial, signature, etc.

Attachments

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
Joeydeluxed said:
Here's a Howard # 8 size Figure 8 I recently bought out of the exhibit
at the National in Springfield MO.
All original except for the finish.
Bought out of the exhibit? Never hurts to ask, no matter where it is. Great clock!

I also spy a nice Ansonia Forest on the right and a Seth #6 on the left. I've owned (own) both of those models in the past. Currently still have a nice Forest.

Chris

Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
SoCal.
Country
Region
Super clocks, Joey.

The glasses on the Taber are really nice.

And the Big figure 8 is a beauty. I'll bet it really gets your attention in person.
I love the Gold stick and red weight boards on them.

Paul Regan

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2003
Florida
Country
Region
Joeydeluxed, nice tablets on the Taber and very interesting dial. The front plate of my Cross Banded has something written on it from top to bottom on the left side however I cannot decifer it.

Attachments

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Hi,you have seen this clock on a previous thread re: Samuel Eaton,but it is now on the wall, and thanks to Bob Reichel, running great and keeping excellent time.
The inside of the case appears to have been painted many years ago with Milk Paint (casein) and the white color has now just a slight hint of tan.I found the same design on the throat glass of a Tifft clock,the base glass is an old replacement.
The base is similar to a Howard with the pendulum view port.
The dial pan is notched to accomodate the bezel hinge and the bezel is solid mahogany with a design that is different from a Howard,Hatch or Tifft.
Maker still unknown but regardless I am enjoying the "heck" out of this clock.
Bruce

Attachments

Paul Regan

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2003
Florida
Country
Region
Larry, very nice banjo. Are there only three pillars? I see two in the photo and assume one above the suspension. Great hands, they have a European look about them. Never seen a #3 size with dead beat. What is the length of the pendulum? The seconds bit must be just for show(but of course functional). Paul

Paul Regan

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2003
Florida
Country
Region
Larry, very scarce James Cross. Neat hands on this one. They are reminiscent of ones on NH Mirrors from that region. Is the name signed "Crofs" or "Cross"? I have a James Cross Tall clock signed as "Crofs". I have seen it both ways. There are also James Cross Mass Shelf clocks. Paul

Engine 88

Dec 18, 2007
Georgia
Country
Region
Attributed Simon Willard see Paul Foleys book page 32 for a similar model. Never any evidence of side arms. Before and after photos. Found this in an auction in Alabama. Has a T bridge with through the plate bolting with original filister screws. Has the round head,heavy iron dial, glass attaches to bezel at 3 and 9. movement 4 3/8 inches high, weight tie off pin, full mahoganey backboard, backboard drilled where movement mounts to match pivots,original weight stop screw, and many other things. Unfortunately the original throat piece and door were missing.

Engine 88

Dec 18, 2007
Georgia
Country
Region
Attributed Simon Willard see Paul Foleys book page 32 for a similar model. Never any evidence of side arms. Before and after photos. Found this in an auction in Alabama. Has a T bridge with through the plate bolting with original filister screws. Has the round head,heavy iron dial, glass attaches to bezel at 3 and 9. movement 4 3/8 inches high, weight tie off pin, full mahoganey backboard, backboard drilled where movement mounts to match pivots,original weight stop screw, and many other things. Unfortunately the original throat piece and door were missing.

Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
SoCal.
Country
Region
Engine said:
Willard servant model , restored
36.jpg
Dial restored
37.jpg

Dial before restoration

diackwillard2.gif

Joe Hollen

NAWCC Member
Apr 26, 2005
Weare, NH
Country
Region
Here's a few that I've restored in the past five years... I delve into making a few timepieces every year also, but I won't post any of those here. This appears to be an "antique timepieces" thread ... :)

Here's an E. Howard Figure Eight. It's a number 9, which would correspond to the size of a number 4 Banjo:

38.jpg

This is an attributed Tifft:

39.jpg

This is a Samuel Abbott Lyre. My clockshop owner / repairman is holding the case. Unfortunately he never brought the movement (grand Piano style), dial, and finials with him to my shop :-(

40.jpg

This is my own "Perry's Victory" Waltham. My same clockshop owner / friend found this in a yardsale WITH AN ELECTRIC MOVEMENT IN IT (yuck!) He asked the owners if they had the original movement, and I guess they searched for it, but never found it... So, it now has a C.A. Lenderman movement in it... The best thing about the clock is that the case is 99% and so is the glass ! :) (and , the price was for short $$$s...as far as Walthams go ...)

41.jpg

The door glass

42.jpg

Joe

Larry

Jul 22, 2002
Maryland
Country
Region
Paul,
The #3 banjo has three pillars as you surmised. From the center shaft to the bottom of the pendulum bob (the actual shaft extends another couple of inches) measures 29.5 inches.
The signature on the James Cross banjo is long gone but the movement design and style is clearly a Cross.

Larry

Joe Hollen

NAWCC Member
Apr 26, 2005
Weare, NH
Country
Region
Here's a Banjo that I just finished restoring. The "before" picture is too kind :) It was REALLY a mess ! All kinds of crappy glue all over the place. The bottom board had abruptly met "Mr. Lead Weight" a couple of times in the past. The existing glass was NOT original, and they were NOT well done. :( The case was also falling apart, the side and top panels of the pendulum box, and the entire backboard was cracked...

On the plus side, after much research & comparison in two good reference manuals - Willards Patent Timepieces (Foley), and The Banjo Timepiece (Chip Ela), My Clock shop owner / friend and I concluded that the banjo was a Federal era timepiece (ca. 1820) notwithstanding it's decidedly "Empire" era look... The movement was in good shape too. (and is actually keeping absolutely excellent time !)

I replaced the throat and door panels (the throat panel was not original, and the door panel was too far gone to restore. The bottom of the pendulum box was replaced along with the whole clock being necessarily torn apart, and cleaned of all the crappy goop-glue that was "somewhat" holding it together. Then, panels were reglued together, the "cracked in half" backboard was repaired, and then it was reglued-reassembled. Lastly, I painted the reverse glasses to match one of the clocks in the Foley book (Willards Patent Timepieces)... Last but not least, Kathi Edwards at the "Dialhouse" did an absolutely beautiful restoration of the dial !!!

All in all, This was a very satisfying "resurrection" of an old Banjo...

Before:

83.jpg

After:

84.jpg

Joe...

Joe Hollen

NAWCC Member
Apr 26, 2005
Weare, NH
Country
Region
Many Thanks Robert and Paul !

Every time I do a new set of glasses I'm reminded of just how talented the pros like the Mobergs, Linda Abrams, etc. really are ! You need the "patience of Job" to do reverse painting. The bottom door took almost two weeks to complete. Each color needs a day to dry before going on to the next color... One of these days I'm going to seek out one of the pros for some "hands on training" ! :)

Thanks again !

Joe

Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
SoCal.
Country
Region
Heres an E. Howard Bicentennial Banjo clock made for Americas 200 birthday.
The throte glass list the original 13 colonies.
I'm curious if this was " the last " new model clock the company ever produced... If anybody knows ?

Shown next to a dated 1873 #5 Banjo, in lower pic.
99.jpg
100.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: S_Owsley

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Joe, all your restoration jobs come out really nice. All nice clocks shown :)here.
My Banjo clocks in my collection are not as near as nice as these are.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent