Picture of Your Favorite Clock(s)

kelcalhoun

Sep 18, 2022
Country
My 8 year old grandson and I love looking at the many different variety of clocks. Often we look at clock collections on YouTube. We would love it if forum members would post their favorite clock(s) and provide a bit of history on the clock(s) and/or mention why it is your favorite. TIA

Reactions: Robert Gift

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
Favorite? Difficult :D! Depends on mood and which one I am just looking at.

A highlight for me is this one, because of the very special movement.

Cheers, Bernhard

L1030411.JPG
12.JPG

But I also like this one very much, bought for a tiny fraction of the one above.

1.jpg

Robert Gift

Nov 12, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Country
Region
Will post pictures of my Tic-Toy clock when I can find the clock.
Was my favorite Christmas gift as a child.
Hubley's first version, 1959?, was just a toy which ran fast to show how a clock operated.
Theat version actually kept time!

The clock pictured below, picture from Collectors Weekly, I believe is the first version.

1664543954747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bernhard J.

kelcalhoun

Sep 18, 2022
Country
Favorite? Difficult :D! Depends on mood and which one I am just looking at.

A highlight for me is this one, because of the very special movement.

Cheers, Bernhard

View attachment 729016
View attachment 729017

But I also like this one very much, bought for a tiny fraction of the one above.

View attachment 729018
Bernard, Thank you for sharing. So many unique features on the first clock! The one that stands out to me the most is the beautiful etching on the mechanism. Surprising that the manufacturer would spend the extra money/effort on the mechanism that isn't visible front the front of the clock. Thanks again for sharing both clocks!

Reactions: Bernhard J.

kelcalhoun

Sep 18, 2022
Country
Will post pictures of my Tic-Toy clock when I can find the clock.
Was my favorite Christmas gift as a child.
Hubley's first version, 1959?, was just a toy which ran fast to show how a clock operated.
Theat version actually kept time!

The clock pictured below, picture from Collectors Weekly, I believe is the first version.

View attachment 729029
Thank you for sharing, Robert. Transparent gears are always cool and this one is so colorful. My grandson will get a kick out of this one.

Chris.K

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2021
Country
Region
The top dials are about 1 3/8th diameter. Top left is the silent/chime and the right is the course adjustment for fast/slow. Chris.

Robert Gift

Nov 12, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Country
Region
Thank you for sharing, Robert. Transparent gears are always cool and this one is so colorful. My grandson will get a kick out of this one.
Several years ago I bought a plasticlock with colorful plastic gears. It believe it also keeps time while it runs. Not sure how long it runs.
Think someone still makes these toy clocks.
The Hubley Tic Toy Clock likely started my descent into mechanical engineering

kelcalhoun

Sep 18, 2022
Country
The top dials are about 1 3/8th diameter. Top left is the silent/chime and the right is the course adjustment for fast/slow. Chris.
Thank you, Chris. I am showing my grandson the clocks now and as I suspected he asked about the dials so I appreciate you taking the time to provide us the information.

Reactions: Chris.K

kelcalhoun

Sep 18, 2022
Country
Several years ago I bought a plasticlock with colorful plastic gears. It believe it also keeps time while it runs. Not sure how long it runs.
Think someone still makes these toy clocks.
The Hubley Tic Toy Clock likely started my descent into mechanical engineering
I wonder too if my grandson will be a mechanical engineer but he also seems to have creative talents but I guess the two are not mutually exclusive.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Probably a little over the top, but I do like the clocks by James Cox

kelcalhoun

Sep 18, 2022
Country

Thank you, Zedric. We enjoyed the pictures in the link you provided. I was surprised my grandson had already seen the World Astronomical Clock in a video. We bought and are currently restoring the somewhat over the top clock in the pictures.

IMG_5914.jpg IMG_5915.jpg IMG_5916.jpg IMG_5926.jpg IMG_5927.jpg IMG_5949.jpg IMG_5950.jpg IMG_5957.jpg IMG_5958.jpg View recent photos.jpg

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I'm not sure if I really have a favourite. I like them all for different reasons, but the clocks made nearest to where we live are special. We have a longcase from less than two miles away, and several from no more than 15 miles away.

Some local hooded clocks too, and a few dial clocks from within the same county.

I think one of the most impressive is one of the least original, it was verge in a saltbox case once presumable and is now a drop dial, but I rather love it.

However I suppose the most special in my collection should be my Knibb, John not Joseph but still a Knibb.

Robert Gift

Nov 12, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Country
Region
Interesting thathe moohas its own moonment!
Do any other clocks have such?

Last edited:

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
No idea of the history before i bought it 5 years ago, but it keeps great time and any time im in that room im looking at it. A few others are also my favorite, but a Seth Thomas #2 is my newest favorite. They arent rare, but i love the wood on the open well tall case.

IMG_1357.JPG E4A2865E-4673-4B2F-8C8B-9C391ADFCEBE.jpeg

kelcalhoun

Sep 18, 2022
Country
I'm not sure if I really have a favourite. I like them all for different reasons, but the clocks made nearest to where we live are special. We have a longcase from less than two miles away, and several from no more than 15 miles away.

Some local hooded clocks too, and a few dial clocks from within the same county.

I think one of the most impressive is one of the least original, it was verge in a saltbox case once presumable and is now a drop dial, but I rather love it.

However I suppose the most special in my collection should be my Knibb, John not Joseph but still a Knibb.

I had never heard of a Knibb clock. So much to learn in the clock world! Thank you for sharing some of your favorites!

kelcalhoun

Sep 18, 2022
Country
No idea of the history before i bought it 5 years ago, but it keeps great time and any time im in that room im looking at it. A few others are also my favorite, but a Seth Thomas #2 is my newest favorite. They arent rare, but i love the wood on the open well tall case.

View attachment 729478 View attachment 729481
What polar opposites. Simple versus ornate! What a beautiful and unique grandfather clock. This is my first time seeing a second-hand dial and my first time seeing just one key hole. I had to research it so I could share with my grandson. He isn't fond of clocks that don't make any chiming sound. I suspect as he gets older he will grow to appreciate other aspects of clocks. Thank you for sharing.

Love clocks

Jun 10, 2019
Country
Too many favourites...have reached a stage where we love ALL the clocks we have. This one is special because it is like our little dog Oscar. No makers name or trademark but I believe it's German.

kelcalhoun

Sep 18, 2022
Country
Too many favourites...have reached a stage where we love ALL the clocks we have. This one is special because it is like our little dog Oscar. No makers name or trademark but I believe it's German.
View attachment 729731
That is too awesome with the tongue. My grandson will love that as do I. Does the clock chime? It's always the first question he asks about any clock. Thank you for sharing the video!

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I was surprised my grandson had already seen the World Astronomical Clock in a video.
You mention that your grandson had seen the World Astronomical Clock video. One of my favorite clocks is the Great Historical Clock of America. I don't own the clock, nor have I had an opportunity to visit. For now, I have to settle for my real picture postcard from one period of its life, along with online articles and YouTube videos of the automations. What the picture doesn't show is how three-dimensional this clock is, with dioramas that can be seen from the left and right sides, as well as the front of the clock, and painted scenes across the back.

Made in the Boston area in the late 1800s, the clock was shown in various places around the continental United States, as well as in Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand. It ended up in George's Mill NH where the owner converted a barn to accommodate the clock's height. George's Mill is on Lake Sunapee, which is a resort area that used to have steamboats that would tour the lake in the summer. Other entertainment included Mr. Collins' clock museum that he opened to the public during the season. As you might imagine, this clock was likely the centerpiece.

The clock has been restored and now resides at the Smithsonian. From what I've read, the clock is not operated, but videos of all the automations can be viewed at the Museum. Here is an article that includes a list of the various automations, as well as a video that you might enjoy. There are other articles and videos if he would like to see more.

This clock was made during an era when patriotism was high, and there were several of these monumental clocks that were created and toured widely. The Engle clock at the NAWCC museum is another great surviving example. There are videos online for this clock, too.

Collins Historical Clock obverse.jpg

Love clocks

Jun 10, 2019
Country
That is too awesome with the tongue. My grandson will love that as do I. Does the clock chime? It's always the first question he asks about any clock. Thank you for sharing the video!
No it doesn't chime...just wags it's tail and pants!

kelcalhoun

Sep 18, 2022
Country
You mention that your grandson had seen the World Astronomical Clock video. One of my favorite clocks is the Great Historical Clock of America. I don't own the clock, nor have I had an opportunity to visit. For now, I have to settle for my real picture postcard from one period of its life, along with online articles and YouTube videos of the automations. What the picture doesn't show is how three-dimensional this clock is, with dioramas that can be seen from the left and right sides, as well as the front of the clock, and painted scenes across the back.

Made in the Boston area in the late 1800s, the clock was shown in various places around the continental United States, as well as in Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand. It ended up in George's Mill NH where the owner converted a barn to accommodate the clock's height. George's Mill is on Lake Sunapee, which is a resort area that used to have steamboats that would tour the lake in the summer. Other entertainment included Mr. Collins' clock museum that he opened to the public during the season. As you might imagine, this clock was likely the centerpiece.

The clock has been restored and now resides at the Smithsonian. From what I've read, the clock is not operated, but videos of all the automations can be viewed at the Museum. Here is an article that includes a list of the various automations, as well as a video that you might enjoy. There are other articles and videos if he would like to see more.

This clock was made during an era when patriotism was high, and there were several of these monumental clocks that were created and toured widely. The Engle clock at the NAWCC museum is another great surviving example. There are videos online for this clock, too.

View attachment 729732
I just watched the video in the link you provided. Amazing!! My grandson will love it. And it never occurred to me to see if there is a clock museum near us. We have one about an hour and a half away so we may need to take a little road trip. Thank you for sharing and taking the time to provide the background information!

Reactions: PatH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dad.watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent