Picked up a International Dial Recorder

SpedMan

Jun 26, 2022
Country
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and to Horology. I started collecting clocks just recently. I picked this clock up just three days ago from Craigslist. This recorder was manufactured in 1941 according to the serial number. It appears to be complete and functional.
IMG_0637.jpeg
IMG_0638.jpeg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board,

Your clocking-in clock looks to be in very good condition and is very collectible. These are are not rare items but very often turn up in rather poor condition - this one looks very good.

Congratulations!

JTD

Reactions: SpedMan

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Welcome to the Forums.

What a great find, and as JTD said, it's in much better condition than is normally seen. Were the sellers able to provide any history of the clock or its use?

SpedMan

Jun 26, 2022
Country
Welcome to the Forums.

What a great find, and as JTD said, it's in much better condition than is normally seen. Were the sellers able to provide any history of the clock or its use?
Sadly the seller didn't have any background information on the clock. It was part of a much bigger collection that he purchased.

Thanks guys for the welcome to this forum. I am glad to be here among such fine fellow collectors.

Reactions: PatH

Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member
Feb 14, 2011
NYS
Country
Region
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and to Horology. I started collecting clocks just recently. I picked this clock up just three days ago from Craigslist. This recorder was manufactured in 1941 according to the serial number. It appears to be complete and functional. View attachment 714532 View attachment 714533
It's certainly in wonderful condition. I have a 'Dey' time recorder, which I believe was a predecessor of your clock. Mine had suffered some abuse--possibly from employees.
Ray Rice

SpedMan

Jun 26, 2022
Country
It's certainly in wonderful condition. I have a 'Dey' time recorder, which I believe was a predecessor of your clock. Mine had suffered some abuse--possibly from employees.
Ray Rice
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it gives the machine some character. They are amazing machines. Can you post a photo of it? Thanks

Stevebaum1

New User
Jul 5, 2022
Country
Hi everyone. I also picked up an ITR dial recorder. Serial number dates it to 1940. This will be my second clock project. Very clean inside. I havent quite decided if the exterior is in rough enough shape to warrant restoring yet. I am puzzled a little with literally "what makes this clock tick". I have the mech out and am looking at the movement. Magnet driven or something to that effect? Any insight would be appreciated!

Dial Recorder.jpg

Reactions: PatH and SpedMan

Stevebaum1

New User
Jul 5, 2022
Country
Hi everyone. I also picked up an ITR dial recorder. Serial number dates it to 1940. This will be my second clock project. Very clean inside. I havent quite decided if the exterior is in rough enough shape to warrant restoring yet. I am puzzled a little with literally "what makes this clock tick". I have the mech out and am looking at the movement. Magnet driven or something to that effect? Any insight would be appreciated!

View attachment 717382
I think I just had my "a-ha" moment....based on what I said above, I am thinking this was a slave to a master clock somewhere in the factory...my clock is labeled #19....anyone else agree?

Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member
Feb 14, 2011
NYS
Country
Region
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it gives the machine some character. They are amazing machines. Can you post a photo of it? Thanks
I posted pictures of my "Dey" back in Feb. of 2014. (I'm sure there is a way of posting a link to that post, but I'm not sure how to do that.
Ray

SpedMan

Jun 26, 2022
Country
I posted pictures of my "Dey" back in Feb. of 2014. (I'm sure there is a way of posting a link to that post, but I'm not sure how to do that.
Ray
Wow, that is a nice machine! Congrats! It is definitely earlier than mine. It looks nice for its age. Sad to hear that it was sentenced to the basement :) My wife tries but I have been married long enough to block out her objections. Isn't it funny how so many spouse change with time. They start to treat their spouse as children, giving them orders, tellling them that they can't do this or that. Then they wonder why their husband or wife left them. I have seen this plenty of time with some of my friends. Men and women have a hard time taking orders after a certain age. I especially can't stand it. Sorry for wandering off topic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicobirdie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent