Photos of great electrics

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by jkfabulos, Jul 12, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jkfabulos

jkfabulos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Most people have no idea how many great case designs the electro-mechanical battery clock companies produced. A photo posted here will help educate the clock collecting community at large to the wonderful world of these types of clocks.
    The clock shown here is a Self Winding Clock Co. model #50 produced around 1908. It has the typical "f" vibrator type movement with correction feature.

Attached Files:

• 505.jpg
      File size:
      47.9 KB
      Views:
    • 403.jpg
      File size:
      71.7 KB
      Views:
    • 507.jpg
      File size:
      56.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great Clock!:) There were some really fine cases such as the No. 20 Self Winding Regulator C. 1887 84"H $385.00 in mahogany, $10.00 less in oak, cherry or ash. I have never seen this clock but would like to......

Below is a No.10, a No. 18A and two Self Winding Western Union master clocks that I don't know the model no.

Best,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

3. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a German electro-mechanical clock. Maker unknown.

Best,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

4. jkfabulos

NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    This is a Self Winding Massachusetts. It came as a slave and as a complete clock. All of them have the three holes drilled in the front dial to accomodate the slave unit even if it had a standard movement. The movement is a three pole rotary "A". I have seen this light bronze color as well as a darker brown bronze. Tran's books list it as circa 1908 but I believe them to be quite a bit earlier possibly circa 1890. Standard Electric also made a version quite similar but unless you see them side by side the differences are not obvious.

Attached Files:

• m1.jpg
      File size:
      94 KB
      Views:
    • m2.jpg
      File size:
      86.5 KB
      Views:
  5. GMT+12:00

GMT+12:00 Registered User

Sep 21, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    Hi Richard T

Would it be possible to see the movement of this German electro-mechanical clock.

Thanks

Mark

6. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Mark,

I was afraid someone would want additional photos/information and debated whether or not to post the picture. Sorry, that is the only picture that I have and I have since sold the clock.

Best,

Richard T.

7. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    American Watchman's Time Detector Co. It is unknown what movement and other features were originally in this case, but there were electrical components, as there are wireways cut into the case back. The dial, movement, pendulum, and weight are all new or old replacements.

Attached Files:

8. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "Grav-Elec Clock Co." Mahogany case with turned, hand-carved, machine-carved, and pressed ornament.

Attached Files:

9. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #9 harold bain, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    Here are a couple of IBM's and a Stromberg master clock.

Attached Files:

10. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    retired
    florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Brought back from the dead with a few modifications to a beautifully proportioned case.

Attached Files:

11. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great case, paradise. I don't often see IBM cases in maple:thumb::thumb:

12. rcupp

rcupp Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    A few of mine...
    Someone cut the top off my IBM and remounted it on the bottom along time ago by the wall paint splatters and also still has its Govt tag.
    Robert

Attached Files:

13. rcupp

rcupp Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    and also these two...robert

Attached Files:

14. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Does your WWII era IBM master clock have the plated steel movement?

I had an entire IBM master model 25 of war time manufacture. It has steel plates. The plating looks like gold electroplate.

Les

15. rcupp

rcupp Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    When I got mine it was just an empty case with a flowered painted face and I found the rest on ebay and assembled it from there. I just run it off 2-12v batteries for now, runs for a couple of weeks and by then I'm glad it's dead;)
    I'm still looking for the "back plate" that all the electrics mount to in the backwall of the case as it was all missing but the holes are all there.
    Robert

16. John UK

John UK Registered User

Mar 25, 2006
    Something different.
    A Bentley from C1912
    These clocks were designed to be 'earth driven' - that is driven by the small potential developed by a Zinc plate and carbon electrode buried in the soil. They are reliable and quite scarce clocks, production having ceased C1914

Attached Files:

17. rcupp

rcupp Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    Now that's neat!!
    robert

18. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John, sounds like a clock that evolved from the efforts of Alexander Bain. We don't often see a clock like that over here. Any chance of some closeup pictures of the movement?

19. John UK

John UK Registered User

Mar 25, 2006
    #19 John UK, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    Here are some pictures of the clock pendulum and drive coil, the switch and the movement.
    There are a number of variations in the switch and the movement known, and the clocks had quite limited production. Production ceased at the outbreak of the first world war - and never resumed, the Bentley Engineering did continue working in other areas. As has been remarked, Percival Arthur Bentley would have known Bain's clock - and presumably based his on that idea.
    The clocks were sold through up market establishments several of the remaining examples are in fine cases - all of which seem to have been made individually.
    It is reported and evidence seems to support this - that a consignment of clocks was on the way to the USA, but the ship sank. It was called the Titanic. Certainly I have been told that there were a number of longcase clocks on the Titanic's manifest.
    It is thought that about 100 clocks were made - and perhaps 20 are known to be still in existence

Attached Files:

20. Roger Richman

Roger Richman New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    My clock that I've had since the 1960s is, I believe, an early Bentley, but the engraved plate says, Edward Smith, Leeds, 1890. Have you heard of Edward Smith? And is there a good reference source on Bentley Earth Clocks? Some posts have indicated only about 70 were made. Is that right?Thanks.

Roger

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

21. John UK

John UK Registered User

Mar 25, 2006
    Hi Roger,

I am not aware of a book - but Private Message sent. I haven't heard of the name, but assume it may have been a retailer established in 1890?
    Bentley sold through retailers including Harrods. As far as is known the first clocks were made around 1910, the date of Bentleys first patent application

22. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here are some Deco clocks..

A Lawson Machine Age #69, A National Magnetic and an unidentified 120V

Ralph

Attached Files:

23. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here is another one.

I have never been able to figure out who the maker is.

Ralph

Attached Files:

24. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here's a Tiffany Never-Wind. I have never seen another one like it.

Ralph

Attached Files:

25. jkfabulos

NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    #25 jkfabulos, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
    Here is an intersting comparison of the New York Standard #16 and the Self Winding #62 school house type clocks. The cases came from the same case shop as they are identical except for length. The NYS is 38 3/4 inches long and the SW is 35 inches long. There are some other minor variations due to the different movements. The NYS has a much better quality bezel and hinge mounting to the case. Since the dial is attached to the movement it was much easier to install than the SW which needed a separate inner bezel to hold the dial.The door knobs and latch are identical. For referance the NYS is the oak case and the SW is the mahogany stained birch case. They both have a black pebble finish paper on the backboard.
    I have never seen any other reference to the SW being a number 62. The production date must have been before the metal tags as this label is paper noting the movement serial number and case style. On some of these early ones the movement number and case style are stamped into the wood under the door on the base but there is not room to do that on this case hence the paper lable. I have had several of these so it was a production clock for sure. Most have the three rotor movement but this one has a matching number two rotor unit.
    The SW number 32 is the same case but with a different bottom.

Attached Files:

26. jkfabulos

NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    For thoes of you that have not seen the SW two rotor movement here is a photo.

Attached Files:

• sw1.jpg
      File size:
      73 KB
      Views:
  27. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    That's a really beautiful clock, Ralph. A case worthy to be placed among the best.:clap::thumb:

28. Jmeechie

Jmeechie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Ralph,
    I don't know if you ever figures out who made this clock, but from what I can see of the logo on the dial it was made by the Ever Ready Electric clock company. It looks like the platform escapement may have been replaced at one time.
    Very beautiful clock.
    Cheers,
    James

29. jkfabulos

NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    I agree this is an Ever Ready as the logo is distinctive. A clear close up of the dial will verify this.
    I saw a fancy shelf cased one with marble columns on Ebay a year or so ago and it had the same movement.
    Great clock.

30. jkfabulos

NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Here is another Ever Ready. I also have the exact same case marked KEYLESS Clock Co. with a KEYLESS label. The clocks were made by the same manufacturer but the movements vary in the style of contact arragement which most likely were improvements or so called running changes as they continued production. I suspect the pendulum is not original as all the others have typical round brass covered bobs. Maybe it was shipped to England where this style would be more common.
    I know of at least 2 others with this same case style.

Attached Files:

• er1.jpg
      File size:
      43.8 KB
      Views:
    • er2.jpg
      File size:
      57.8 KB
      Views:
    • er3.jpg
      File size:
      46.6 KB
      Views:
    • er4.jpg
      File size:
      75.1 KB
      Views:
  31. ClockMogul

ClockMogul Registered User

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Berger Electric Clock.jpg Here is a picture of my E. Berger's Electric Time Piece. Still actually quite a mystery after owning here for over 6 months now. Cherry Case , standard beating 60 bpm, dead beat esacpement and sweep second hand. Electric motor winds spring..Guessing mid to late 1880's..

32. jkfabulos

NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Here is what I think is one of the best Self Winding clocks ever produced. It is a #20. The movement is style "B" which was used in most of the higher end clocks. This is a three pole rotary movement made by Howard and so marked. It features heavier construction and finer finish than the standard Self Winding movement.
    The case was also made by Howard in my opinion as the quality of carving and trim is fabulous.

Attached Files: