Photo Posting on the Message Board

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by John Hubby, Jan 30, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. Ed P

Ed P Registered User

Aug 6, 2004
    Ok I followed the instructions and the photo uploaded, but it removed all of my text, so my message only contains the photo. How do I get text in with the photo? Do I have to do two separate messages??

EdP

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    This post is the only one you have made this year. Did you forget to click the submit button when you were through editing the post or thread?

Are you, perhaps, trying to use the Private Message facility instead of the forums?

Can you copy and paste the URL of your post with the photo in it in reply to this post?

3. Ed P

Ed P Registered User

Aug 6, 2004
    This post is the only one you have made this year. Did you forget to click the submit button when you were through editing the post or thread? I didn't get that far because I could not get my text added, the picture took up all the space.

Are you, perhaps, trying to use the Private Message facility instead of the forums? No

Can you copy and paste the URL of your post with the photo in it in reply to this post? I tried it again, did the same thing as the first time, nothing different, but this time there was room for the text, so the problem seems to have solved itself. Thanks anyway. Ed P

4. Jim Duncan

Jim Duncan Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

May 31, 2011
    Maybe I should start a new thread, but will try to use this existing thread first.

I tried to add a couple photos to a PM, but when I clicked on the camera button all I get is a line for URL's. I want to use the line for sourcing the photos from my computer, but it ain't there (see attached image). Is there a different system for PM's? I've posted photos many times on the Message Board, but this may be my first run at it in a PM.

Any advice?

Jim

[​IMG]

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    For PM's you can add only attachments from a URL or attachments you have previously uploaded to the message board.

6. Jim Duncan

NAWCC Member Donor

May 31, 2011
    Thanks for the quick answer. What is the logic behind this limitation? Seems a drastic measure to halt images - or to drive the users off the Message Board for private messages with images. Perhaps there were abuses in the past I'm not aware of.

Jim

7. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    We did not write the software and its developers thought that private messages were just brief exchanges of text. It has been expanded from that but not by very much. We will be deploying a new site soon with much better handling of images and other attachments. That site will have a more thread like format for private conversations and will support images and attachments in those conversations.

I think the philosophy behind the restriction was that PM uses resources and does not generate content, so should be discouraged. Email is just as available as PM and uses much less resources on the message board.

8. Jim Duncan

NAWCC Member Donor

May 31, 2011
    Thanks Tom. I'll give that last notion a go.

Jim

9. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    A lot of our members are confused about the mail handling here and have their email unavailable. Everyone should know that your email address is protected if you allow other members to email to you. i.e. they do not see your email address.